Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get my tongue pierced or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I've had my tongue done for just over eight years- I was gentle with it for the first few days re kissing and all, but I got it done on Christmas Eve, so there was lots of drinking and fun happening!

I didn't avoid any foods or anything, all I did was use alcohol free mouth wash for two weeks after eating, and after four weeks I got a shorter bar- they say your tongue takes up to this long foe the swelling to go down. The shorter bar does a good job of preventing your teeth from getting messed up!

And if it's done in a reputable place, they'll do it properly and it won't mess up your speech. I sing, and it's done nowt to affect it.

Lastly, I would HIGHLY recommend Celestial Ring (think it's Wild Cat now) in Stephen's Green shopping Centre_ I've had a lot of piercings done there and think its brilliant, really clean and very friendly piercers!!!

Enjoy,

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

regarding avoiding dairy, i went and bought ice cream, then as i was about to eat someone said, "you know that forms a film on your tongue AND in the hole, it might rot and fall off

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

xefahx wrote: »
    hummm ok go so much thought is going inot it now and then ill probly b lik urrgh wata waste when i get it and ill b thinkn oooh i cuda got a nice posh dinner with that money!!!!instead of eatin baby food for a week!!!!!

My head hurts after trying to decipher that.We speak English here xefahx.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

**** thats serious **** awww urrrgh....no kissing grrr awh this is jus annoying...so can you just liquidate foods n ****?whatll i do if my parents make dinner and sit me down to eat ill be there lik ehhh cos i dont want them to know cos theyll just annoy me about it and be like its bad for yor sinigng take it out now and probly hold me down and rip it out with their bare fists if they saw it...

How old are you xefahx.Im finding it hard to believe that you are actually old enough for a piercing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Kidd-o wrote: »
    yes i smoked when i got out the studio but it hurt... so much...

so i stopped after a drag, i then didnt smoke till the following evening... that hurt 2...

(i have since quit if anyone cares, 6 months smoke free)
    tongues can start to close up wicked quick, depending on the person, anywhere between a few mins and a few hours and ye may have lost it..never chanced it myself so dunno for def but again depends on the person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Rubbish. Having something like that in your mouth 24 hours a day, regardless of whether it's metal or plastic, is going to affect your teeth. I didn't "play" with mine but that doesn't mean it never touched my teeth. When you eat it can touch your teeth, when you speak it can touch your teeth.

Ever accidentally bitten it when eating? It can do some serious damage to your molars.

I would have to disagree that damage is inevitable... have had my tongue pierced for comin on ten years now, the last 5 or so at 8mm, and there's no damage whatsoever to my teeth.

As with many things YMMV, but a well placed tongue piercing will be just fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I've had mine done for two years, and I didn't play with it but I got two chips taken out of my front teeth which I now have to get filled in. The bar itself has been out for about a month, but it's still open! When I got it done I basically ate icepops for four days, solid food was impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Well. IMO the damage i will do o your teeth is totally down to the piercee. I have super strong teeth, moreso than the average person, and yes I will admit I do play with the metal ball on my tongue bar. My teeth aren't fab lookin anyways, so I'm not too worried. It hasn't caused any problems in the last 5years I've had it now.

Now lets take a look at my opposite friend. She happens to have very delicate teeth. And even though she NEVER played with it, she says it aggrivated her teeth an she reckons it could of chipped one.

So there ya have it. It really depends on who you are and what kind of teeth you have.

Only get this done if you really want it. Not for someone else. Oh and it doesn't make a difference when kissing/(insert you know what here) ;). That's my opinion anyway.

EDIT:

I actually have to agree with Richie here too. How old is the OP cos she does sound like 15 or something..... dodgy stuff lads!

Wilburt I meant to ask you this last night when we were "cybering" ;);)

How long before you can talk "properly" after a tongue piercing??

Seriously considering getting one done today/tomorrow since all my dentisty stuff is finished (after a year of work) and now even my dentist has given me the go ahead--he thinks it`ll be an incentive to keep them in good condition--thats a first from my dentist.

Thanks

Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

jeebus richie, hush will ya!

Uhm totally depends, right after i got my tongue pierced I could talk fine. Then later that night went on the beer/shots/cocktails/anything with alcohol in it. Tongue swelled to giant proportions. Couldnt talk properly for about 5-7days.
    I swell a lot though, so totally down to how much you swell - obviously dont go beering and try stay off the cigarettes for as long as possible.

As soon as ya get it done, pop to McD's or Burger king, get a load of ice and start sucking on it. Best thing ya can do i think

• Advertisement

Hmmmph you loved it.Nothing like a bit of one handed typing ;)

Thanks for that info btw.
    Looks like Ill be talking like yer man out of that film "Ratrace" so for a few days.

haha what an awesome film. now quit slackin and get back to work!

Wilburt wrote: »
    haha what an awesome film. now quit slackin and get back to work!

Im still trying to catch you your sushi.

haha, msn blocked in work huh? try meebo.com, isnt picked up here :D woot

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Hayden*

I drank d first day i got mine pierced and im sorry i did!!! Id advise once its healed to use a metal bar and plastic balls so the bar wont snap!!! and if u bite on the balls by accident less likely to damage your teeth!! I got my tongue done two times first time it closed i missed it so much i had to do it again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Do you know what made my tongue feel fine afterwards??

I bought a Slushee!! Best thing ever, cold and sweet and I didn't feel a thing. I really didn't have much bother at at all. The day I got it done was grand, about two days later it was more swolen and sore but overall it was a dream to heal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

Really? I had one of those after getting mine done and it really stung, I found chocolate, dairy and anything with a lot of sugar felt like it was burning it :)

All I could manage was crushed ice....man that felt good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xefahx

Hellrazer wrote: »
    My head hurts after trying to decipher that.We speak English here xefahx.

haha wota psycho!!!!!get with the times biotch!!!!yeah im 19 get over it u spastic!!!!!im sure ur a real hellrazer!!!!!

got i done anyways thanks EVERYBODY ELSE for imput!!!!!:):D:p:mad:

translation:
    haha what a psycho, get with the times biotch. Yeah I'm 19 get over it you spastic. I'm sure you're a real hellrazer.
    I got it done anyways, thanks everybody else for input.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

haha wota psycho!!!!!get with the times biotch!!!!yeah im 19 get over it u spastic!!!!!im sure ur a real hellrazer!!!!!

Banned. Come back when you can act like an adult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Cherryvega wrote: »
    Really? I had one of those after getting mine done and it really stung, I found chocolate, dairy and anything with a lot of sugar felt like it was burning it :)

LOL I found it really soothing, maybe I shouldn't have drank it due to the amount of sugar etc, but it seemed to be just what I needed. I didn't have any trouble with chocolate either. Also, I found a nice warm cuppa really comforting!! Maybe I'm just a weirdo!! lol ;)

Hehe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Cherryvega wrote: »

All I could manage was crushed ice....man that felt good :D

ugh. and cereal. i have never seen cereal look so mank. or get eaten so slowly either. ugh...

*shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Oh dear jeebus...

Thanks eth0_!

MizzLolly wrote: »
    LOL I found it really soothing, maybe I shouldn't have drank it due to the amount of sugar etc, but it seemed to be just what I needed. I didn't have any trouble with chocolate either. Also, I found a nice warm cuppa really comforting!! Maybe I'm just a weirdo!! lol ;)

Awh no way, I think getting my tongue pierced didn't agree with me full stop :D lol
    tea even caused problems, oral piercings have always been a bit more of a challenge. not entirely sure why :p lol

ugh. and cereal. i have never seen cereal look so mank. or get eaten so slowly either. ugh...

*shudders*

oh yea....the crunchy nut and boiled water after i got my tongue frenum done... :D
    that was vile!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

O_o

that sounds just wrong!!!!!

haha i remember that, looked and smelled yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Le Rack wrote: »
    give it two weeks before drinking much, ie give it about three till ox! Two weeks is the initial healing time, that means, no drink, no smoking, no kissing, no oral sex, no dairy, no high sugar foods, no high salt foods, no very hot food, no very chewy food....salt rinses at least twice a day and after meals etc...prob some more stuff I should put in...

I know what I said seems harsh and a lot of people are gonna come along and say i did this and that straight after getting my tongue done, but doing stuff like that heightens your chance of infection, and to get an infection in your tongue is wicked serious, you generally wouldn't know you have one till you wake up in hospital, cuz it goes straight into your blood stream, so looking after it well for two weeks is better than ending up in hospital, or not being able to sing again and stuff...

:)

Two weeks?
    im never getting that done! :p

• Advertisement

Wilburt wrote: »
    haha i remember that, looked and smelled yuck

apologies to ni and will for that one :p lol
    it was like sweet, wet card. smelled AWFUL! but it was so easy to eat... :D

Advertisement