Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom wont connect me

Options
  • 15-03-2008 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I live less than a hundred yards from an exchange that was enabled since november and cant get broadband. We're the third closest house to it and eircom refuse to do anything about it and wont say when if ever they will get around to upgrading the lines. There are wires that go under the road from the exchange and come up to this pole thats 20 yards from the house and has a box for splitting the lines on it. My next door neighbours line comes off this same pole and they can get broadband. Ive spent the last 4 months ringing them and they keep saying theres nothing we can do about it or to ring back in a few weeks to see if they can do it then. Is there anyway to get them to do it, or are any other providers allowed upgrade lines or anything else i can do

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Of course they can 'do something' about it but maybe a chainsaw or a tractor 'accidentally' thrown into reverse could speed the process up at your end :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Surely they gave a specific reason why they cannot provide service. I know a lot of people bellyache about eircom but they're not likely to turn away a new customer without a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

From someone who knows the process here, I suggest you dial 1800 671444 and ask for Complaints section. Then lodge your official complaint and get a ref nbr. This should give you the exact reason why you are not getting broadband and would also speed up getting the problem sorted. Note official Complaints, not the voice recording or the customer service, if necessary ring the main nbr in Stephens Green.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Could you not change tack and approach BT and see what they say. I would not believe anything out of the mouth of Eircom employees. For years they told me I could never have BB due to the age of my line however just like that one week I could get Broadband without any change to my line and my exchange had been bb enabled for over a year at this stage. They even told me they could not give me a reason as to why my line failed as it was against Comreg rules. Needless to say when I contacted Comreg they poo-pooed this nonsence but it did not stop Eircom employees spouting this lie as an excuse. I would suggest you keep at them. lodge a complaint with their complaints dept don't just stop at the telesales ppl. Failing that contact BT or any other providers in your area that may be supplying BB. If you are as near to the exchange as you say and your exchange is BB enabled there is no good reason why this situation cannot be sorted out in your favour.

Having said all that I must say that when I did eventually become an Eircom BB customer I did find their support capable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Any other DSL supplier has to use eircom lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 daithiboy

I feel your pain. I'm in the same situation myself. We're living in a brand new apartment and our neighbours have broadband but we don't. Contacted Eircom complaints department repeatedly and they sent me a standard reply that said that "due to the sensitive nature of DSL technology some lines may not be suitable for broadband". Fact of the matter is they've used a split line in our apartment which would be the REAL reason. When I pressed the customer service rep on this point he told me that Eircom are under no legal obligation to provide broadband to the public, just a working phoneline. I've sent a complaint to comreg but as they're the ones who introduced the law, I'd imagine it'll fall on deaf ears. I'm using Digiweb mobile broadband at the moment. It's pretty crap but it's better than nothing. It's such a shame that Ireland are living in the dark ages when it comes to broaband access.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

laveidem wrote: »
    I live less than a hundred yards from an exchange that was enabled since november and cant get broadband. We're the third closest house to it and eircom refuse to do anything about it and wont say when if ever they will get around to upgrading the lines. There are wires that go under the road from the exchange and come up to this pole thats 20 yards from the house and has a box for splitting the lines on it. My next door neighbours line comes off this same pole and they can get broadband. Ive spent the last 4 months ringing them and they keep saying theres nothing we can do about it or to ring back in a few weeks to see if they can do it then. Is there anyway to get them to do it, or are any other providers allowed upgrade lines or anything else i can do

You mention a box for splitting the lines. This could be a "carrier" system which uses a pair of wires as a bearer and each line (it used to be up to 8) is picked out at a different frequency. If this is the "box" you refer to then this could be the reason why you cannot get broadband on your line at present. If this is the problem, one answer is to get your line transferred from this carrier system to a physical pair if available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 laveidem

i rang that complaints number today and all i got was how eircom are not required to give away any information regarding broadband availability, they didnt even have to register this as a complaint. i told them how close we were to the exchange and how id been talking to the lads who work down at the exchange who said we're on a split line and its just a simple matter of connecting from where the wires come out of the ground at the pole to the house, that it would only take 20 minutes and there are vans of people down at the exchange nearly every second day. he just kept repeating the same stuff trying to fob me off and gave me the number for broadband sales before hanging up
    Last wrote: »
    You mention a box for splitting the lines. This could be a "carrier" system which uses a pair of wires as a bearer and each line (it used to be up to 8) is picked out at a different frequency. If this is the "box" you refer to then this could be the reason why you cannot get broadband on your line at present. If this is the problem, one answer is to get your line transferred from this carrier system to a physical pair if available.

yes the lads who work down there said that this is the problem and that they arent authorised to do it untill eircom get around to upgrading the lines in this area. you say that one answer is to get your line transferred from this carrier system to a physical pair but how do i get eircom to allow that. every time i ring them they say they arent required to provide broadband and wont listen to how easy it is to solve this, they just spout nonsense and pass you around from one place to the next

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

have you looked at previous postings on this kind of thing.
    For example
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055014794

I am not sure if this advice is still valid or not.

Advertisement