Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator not working

Options
  • 15-03-2008 11:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

i just emptied my system and refilled it, turned on the boiler, and one of the rad's isn't working. The rad is full of water, and there is pressure coming in from both the inlet and outlet pipes, but water doesn't seem to be circulating to that rad. Any suggestions? i guess it's probably an airlock, but how do i clear an airlock?

btw, my system is a closed system.

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

close off all the other rads leaving the problem one open and see if it heats up....is the radiator upstairs or furthest away from the central heating boiler, check the pressure on the boiler to see if it's up high enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jdpl28 wrote: »
    but how do i clear an airlock?
    There is usually a little 4 sided valve at the top edge or at the wall side at the top. Loosen the valve. It will require a key if at the rear but you may manage it with a pair of pliers if on the edge. You will hear the air releasing and when dirty water comes out tighten it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If you are saying that the rad is full of water, you have probably bled it - do not use a pliers, you will round off the screw.
    Bonzer has the right idea -that's the first thing to try. Are you sure that you did not turn off the valve - especially the lockshield valve at the other end ?
    Also try flicking on and off the switch to make the water pump surge - that could clear it.
    Jim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

thanks everyone. got it working now. I shut off all other rads in the system, then reduced the stop cock to the hotpress, and it seemed to clear it alright.

btw. just wondering what would happen to the system if i shut off all rads and the hotpress? would the pump and boiler just shut off? or could there be an explosion?? :eek:

thanks!
    Justin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

jdpl28 wrote: »
    thanks everyone. got it working now. I shut off all other rads in the system, then reduced the stop cock to the hotpress, and it seemed to clear it alright.

btw. just wondering what would happen to the system if i shut off all rads and the hotpress? would the pump and boiler just shut off? or could there be an explosion?? :eek:

thanks!
    Justin

No explosion. The boiler would heat up to temp and shut off. If it's a sealed system, the pump would just keep running. If it's an open system, you might get pitching up into the header tank n the attic.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement