Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Gear

Options
  • 16-03-2008 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

What is your favourite piece of fishing gear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

humm.. tough one

either my Zziplex profile, matched with my Penn Mag 525

or my custom built Zziplex 3500s matched with my daiwa sl20sh :eek:

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

very nice, you cant beat a zziplex

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Defo my float tube, ive fished lakes and parts of lakes that are very unlikley to have ever seen a bait and love the mobility of it, its like a floating armchair.

was thinking of getting one of them are they really that good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

shimano baitrunner...or any reel made by shimano..

• Advertisement

Popanddrop wrote: »
    was thinking of getting one of them are they really that good?

Yes, they are excellent, there are a few lakes i know of that there is no way of getting a boat onto and are unfishable from the bank, they are real safe too, it wont capsize.
    They come in a few different shapes, the one i have is the Round boat from The Creek company and my friend has the U boat from Ron Thompson, U-boat is easier to get in and out of but its not as stable on the water and not as easy to manouver, Round boat can move quicker cause you can leaver your legs off the tube to get a better kick.
    I wouldnt go near rivers on it for obvious reasons. I can say that its my favorite way to fish.

adonis wrote: »

Shimano Baitrunners IMO are overrated, I have 2 5010's and 2 6000's in my garage not working, all with the same problem(Virtical action jammed)
    And my reletivly new 6000 has started to jam when playing a fish, I dry and oil all my reels after every use.
    but when they work they are great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Sage SLT 5 weight. Lovely rod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

diawa 300l multiplier and berkely lightning rod jerkbait rod

im surprised by the shimano baitrunner comment! no problems with any of my shimano reels...both 5000 i also have a coarse reel from shimano and its perfect..plus i dont wash and oil them...i hope u dont use wd40 or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I'm with bitemybanger here ... I have had brilliant fun fishing from my float tube down the years.

Here it is: Float Tubing Ireland

im surprised by the shimano baitrunner comment! no problems with any of my shimano reels...both 5000 i also have a coarse reel from shimano and its perfect..plus i dont wash and oil them...i hope u dont use wd40 or something like that.

My reels get used once a week and somtimes twice during the summer, any Shimano baitrunner i have had is lucky to last a year but i keep buying then because they suit perfectly for what i use them for but IMO they dont last as long as they should(for the price)
    And yes i use WD40 (great stuff:D)

coolwings wrote: »
    I'm with bitemybanger here ... I have had brilliant fun fishing from my float tube down the years.

Here it is: Float Tubing Ireland

Wasnt even aware of that site, nice one.
    Float tubes must have a bigger fan base than i tought:cool:

My reels get used once a week and somtimes twice during the summer, any Shimano baitrunner i have had is lucky to last a year but i keep buying then because they suit perfectly for what i use them for but IMO they dont last as long as they should(for the price)

you shouldnt use wd40 on reels apparently!
    there is a corrossive something or other added to it..the best oil to use apparently is the oil used for sewing machines..perhaps the wd40 is having some kind of impact on the gears/cogs of the reels?

ps i barely oil them and none of them have broken..

you shouldnt use wd40 on reels apparently!
    there is a corrossive something or other added to it..the best oil to use apparently is the oil used for sewing machines..perhaps the wd40 is having some kind of impact on the gears/cogs of the reels?

ps i barely oil them and none of them have broken..

Possibly is the oil but the reason i started oiling them is my first baitrunner broke and i brought it back to the shop and they told me to oil them after every use especially if they get wet, i didnt always use WD40, its just handy cause the nosle fits perfectly into the oil hole under the spool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Would have to say my pair of 5100's have lasted me years with out an ounce of bother and would definitely be my favorite bit of kit.

Have never oiled them, but clean them out once a year or if I have been in a gritty area.

Ha I started this thread and even I have even put up my own favourite piece gear.
    Rod - Diawa Bass Spinning Rod.
    Reel - Diawa Emcast/ Abu Garcia ambassadeur 6500C3
    Accessorie - Silva LZ headlamp(camo)
    Clothing - Shimano Tribal 3/4 jacket (hardwoods green)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

sorry this is completely off topic
    I read somewhere that you shouldn't use wd-40 its an emulsifier not an oil an so will muck up any oil in the reel already its good for spraying the outside as it will keep water off but should not be used for the internal workings.

sorry my favourite is my spinning setup perfect for spinning and floatfishing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You should OIL bearings and GREASE Gears. Spray WD40 onto a cloth and wipe reel outer with it. WD40 works like a degreaser and will wash oil and grease from where it is needed.

Fav beach rod and reel.... Daiwa High Performance Beach. 12 or so years regular use and still the perfect rod for me. ( So good I just bought another as new one from e-bay). Daiwa 7ht, does exactly what it says on the tin straight from the box,

Fav boat rod and reel .... Old Conoflex 30lb class I bought secondhand. Were seemingly built by someone in Dublin in early 90's. Sensitive enough to feel small fish picking at bait in 300ft of water, strong enough to land blues to over 90lb. Daiwa LD50sh for general downtiding and a Shimano TLD5 for gilling, Once you have used a lever drag you will never use anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

shakespear ugly stik spin lite with shimano aero gt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement