Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus handbrake light?

Options
  • 16-03-2008 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I have a 2003 ford focus old style, and in the last 2 weeks the handbrake light has been flashing on and off while driving, and the handbrake if most definitely off!. It started flashing occasionally when going over bumps and such, but now it's on almost permanently save a few bumps here and there. I'm thinking loose connection somewhere, does anyone know where to check? Any help at all would be great.
    Cheers Lads.
    Alan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Have you checked the brake fluid level?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have you checked the brake fluid level?

I really doubt it's this, it flickers, and dimly comes on and off going over bumps. I'll check either way to be on the safe side, but the car only went for a service in the last 2 months. Thanks for the quick reply though!
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Sounds very much like brake fluid level to me.

Might want to get your front pads and rear brakes checked aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

Could be just a dodgy switch, Which is located right behind the handbrake lever, find that and give it a blast of wd40, Should sort it, Handbrake light and brake fluid light are different lights on dash, I think its just a sticky switch. Try the wd40 route first !!

now that i think about it, perhaps low brake fluid is the culperate, as the light has been coming on more consistently, thanks a lot for the quick replies lads, i'll be sure to check them over tomorrow morning/afternoon. Cheers

• Advertisement

Just had a read of the ford forums and all the symptoms are pointing towards low brake fluid, as the sensor if a floating "bob" and when it goes below a certain level it activates the warning light, this would explain why it turns on and off when going over speed bumps and cornering. Thanks martinr5232 and everyone else for your quick replies, good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rgh

Did you ever resolve the problem as it is identical to what I am now experiencing on my focus 2001 model

Advertisement