Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tasty Guitar Playing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Yeah fab player. I love "fives" a few videos down that youtube page you posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Guthrie is an amazing player, flawless technique, great tone, world-class knowledge/use of scales etc...

BUT, he's VERY tiring to listen to. He falls into the same trap a lot of technique-based guitarists fall into (Yngwie etc) - namely, that's all they are, technique noodlers.

Guthrie doubly so because of his Guitar Technique days...he's played so many 'backing track' style things, that even his own material just sounds like someone aimlessly noodling over a backing track....with a definite 'check me out' vibe. Its like he's on auto-pilot, and could stay churning notes out at high speed all night.

Not that im knocking him, he's a great player. I just couldn't listen to him for more than a few minutes without getting bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Yeah I agree somewhat. Something catchy about fives though.
    I was looking up other stuff by Mr Go Van and stumbled across another extraordinary player. Ron Thal aka Bumblefoot. These virtuoso players normally wouldn't be cuppa tea but look at the natural ability he displays here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VVHvoEBmg`:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Slightly OT: anyone find that in the youtube video in the original post that there's something wrong/odd with the sound? I keep getting a weird "stuttering" effect on the sound only. It doesn't happen on other vid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Ziltoid

The best thing since Shawn Lane.

• Advertisement
Advertisement