Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's Landmark twin chimneys denied protected status

Options
  • 16-03-2008 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Poolbeg chimneys 1 (pic)
    Poolbeg chimneys 2 (pic)

Saturday March 15 2008

They have featured in numerous postcards and a very famous Guinness ad, but perhaps their most important cameo appearance came when they featured in U2s 'Pride (In The Name Of Love)' video.

However, Dublin City Council does not believe the Poolbeg chimneys are iconic enough to place on their Record of Protected Structures.

They concluded from this that while the Poolbeg chimneys were considered to be of a certain level of architectural, social and historical significance, they were not of sufficient value within the meaning of the Planning and Development Act, 2000.

The twin red and white chimney stacks measure 680 feet in height and were constructed in two phases between 1969 and 1977.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/landmark-chimneys-denied-protected-status-1318383.html

Should Dublin's Poolbeg chimneys be preserved? 104 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    57% 60 votes
    Other
    42% 44 votes

Comments

They're still in use!
    Safe for the foreseeable future...
    edit: not worth saving, anyway I can't see 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Imo they are eyesores.

eyesores. Dump them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Raspberry

Well shit. If they were in a U2 video they're sacred ground now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I was gonna say that it would be kinda painful to get impaled on one of them after skydiving, but theyre nothing compared to these things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Raspberry wrote: »
    Well shit. If they were in a U2 video they're sacred ground now.

Being in a U2 video is good enough reason to dump them. If they weren't in that then I would've wanted them saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I was gonna say that it would be kinda painful to get impaled on one of them after skydiving, but theyre nothing compared to these things

UL?

Yep, those chimneys are eyesores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

They are great, far more of an icon to the city than the spire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I like them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

They should be kept.

Our power demand is so tight that any available power station is more or less in use and looks to remain that way for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I vote eyesores.

The fact that a bunch of powerstation chimneys could be considered worthy of preservation is a pretty sad indication of the lack of decent architecure in Dublin/Ireland if you ask me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

cornbb wrote: »
    I vote eyesores.

The fact that a bunch of powerstation chimneys could be considered worthy of preservation is a pretty sad indication of the lack of decent architecure in Dublin/Ireland if you ask me.

I agree, but be that as it may, they're all we got. Unless you are into your liberty hall or the central bank, I say keep em.

Remember as well that in the 1970s the government decided to get rid of all those old smelly georgian buildings to be replaced by nice new corpo houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

UL flagpoles. They look good.

Those chimneys however should be knocked tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I like them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I vote eyesores.

Explains why Battersea Power Station is a listed building then.

A lot of the world's greatest architecture comes from practical industrial structures. To deny a structure's beauty of form because of its function is hardly an aesthetic stance to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Destroy them, they are a eyesore. Your argument is that they have a aesthetic value but you want them protected as a cultural landmark which they are clearly not.

Explains why Battersea Power Station is a listed building then.

A lot of the world's greatest architecture comes from practical industrial structures. To deny a structure's beauty of form because of its function is hardly an aesthetic stance to have.

I've nothing against industrial architecture, by and large its uninspiring and functional, thogh the Battersea power station is one of the rare exceptions. It is architecturally unique and its iconic status has been achieved because its cultural impact has been enormous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battersea_Power_Station#Cultural_impact

I don't think you could say the same about Poolbeg, its hardly architecturally unique as it looks to me like every other power station in the country (such as those at Tarbert and Moneypoint) and has had nowhere as near as large an impact on the public consciousness as the likes of Battersea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If they are in use, keep them.
    If they are not in use, then they are useless. Knock them down and build something in their place.
    I'm sick of this nostalgic crap.
    Poolbeg chimneys 1 (pic)
    Poolbeg chimneys 2 (pic)

Saturday March 15 2008

They have featured in numerous postcards and a very famous Guinness ad, but perhaps their most important cameo appearance came when they featured in U2s 'Pride (In The Name Of Love)' video.

However, Dublin City Council does not believe the Poolbeg chimneys are iconic enough to place on their Record of Protected Structures.

They concluded from this that while the Poolbeg chimneys were considered to be of a certain level of architectural, social and historical significance, they were not of sufficient value within the meaning of the Planning and Development Act, 2000.

The twin red and white chimney stacks measure 680 feet in height and were constructed in two phases between 1969 and 1977.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/landmark-chimneys-denied-protected-status-1318383.html

I believe they appear in three U2 videos.
    "A celebration" and "Gloria".
    I could be wrong though. It's been a few years since I have seen those videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I've nothing against industrial architecture, by and large its uninspiring and functional, thogh the Battersea power station is one of the rare exceptions. It is architecturally unique and its iconic status has been achieved because its cultural impact has been enormous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battersea_Power_Station#Cultural_impact

I don't think you could say the same about Poolbeg, its hardly architecturally unique as it looks to me like every other power station in the country (such as those at Tarbert and Moneypoint) and has had nowhere as near as large an impact on the public consciousness as the likes of Battersea.

Battersea's cultural impact, assuming you're going to base it around "number of LP covers adorned by same", is then based not on its architectural beauty, but around its proportions and stature as a monolithic statement of industrial strength - a solid, rectangular, faceless structure of cold, unbending geometry and hard purpose, created not by man for man, but by purpose eschewing the desires of man completely.

Poolbeg's "impact" on the public consciousness is extremely high in its city - the chimneys are very much part of the visual landscape of Dublin, certainly more so than Battersea since Dublin is a much smaller city and Poolbeg has a much clearer aspect around the city, standing as it does at the apex of the bay. Battersea is a famous building, but Poolbeg certainly holds a much stronger position in terms of defining the urban landscape of its city. The chimneys are hardly unique - but they are most definitely part of the city's heritage and identity, all the more so considering how recently they were built.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

They're like Liffey Valley.. they should never have been built where they were built, and for that reason alone they should go.

Battersea's cultural impact, assuming you're going to base it around "number of LP covers adorned by same", is then based not on its architectural beauty, but around its proportions and stature as a monolithic statement of industrial strength - a solid, rectangular, faceless structure of cold, unbending geometry and hard purpose, created not by man for man, but by purpose eschewing the desires of man completely.

Poolbeg's "impact" on the public consciousness is extremely high in its city - the chimneys are very much part of the visual landscape of Dublin, certainly more so than Battersea since Dublin is a much smaller city and Poolbeg has a much clearer aspect around the city, standing as it does at the apex of the bay. Battersea is a famous building, but Poolbeg certainly holds a much stronger position in terms of defining the urban landscape of its city. The chimneys are hardly unique - but they are most definitely part of the city's heritage and identity, all the more so considering how recently they were built.

Battersea's cultural impact is about more than LP covers. It is unique and instantly recognisable when taken out of its geographical context (maybe not to the extent of the likes of the Taj Mahal). The same cannot be said about Poolbeg.

You could argue that Poolbeg's impact on the cityscape is high, that it is part of the definition of the landscape, the same could have been said about the Ballymun towers though. Not everyone actually likes the chimneys, as is evident from this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Moved from AH. Biko must be on the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

You can't deny the fact that they're iconic. So far they're one of the few things that can be used to quickly identify that sprawl of houses as Dublin. If they were cleaned and lit a little better then I think they'd look nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

If anyone tries to take down those chimneys I'm going to do the same as that mad bitch on the M3 yesterday and chain myself into a tunnel under them.

They're part of every real Dubliners psyche at this stage.

Can't believe what people are posting on this thread. Ye must all be culchies or some other form of uncivilised creatures :p

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Being in a U2 video is good enough reason to dump them. If they weren't in that then I would've wanted them saved.

If i could give this kid a thumbs down i would, Your obviously not a Dub. :cool:

Edit then again what would the Kid know. Aussie wanna be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

They're still in use!
    Safe for the foreseeable future...
    edit: not worth saving, anyway I can't see 'em!

Are they? I cant remember the last time I saw steam pouring out of either of them. They were in constant use at one stage.

Edit: I kinda like 'em. not pretty, but part of home.
    Plus, someones gone and done 3d models of them in Google Earth, so now they've gotta stay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

battersea is useful the big cranes in blefast have been kept but you can go up and view from them the towers are of no further use

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

Living near the Seafront in Clontarf I hate the fcukers, a real eyesore and spoiler of what sould be a great view.

If you move about 50 meters west, nearer where the wooden bridge is, you get a fantastic view, especially on a summers evening. If those chimneys weren't there, that view would be much more panoramic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

voted no.

they are iconic in local terms, but in international terms they're just a pair of bog standard chimneys (I think the ones at Moneypoint are taller, but not stripey)

can't see any use for them if the power station was decommissioned.

Advertisement