Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's Landmark twin chimneys denied protected status

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I feel they are part of the urban Dublin landscape at this stage, whatever the architectural, or lack of, merits. For that reason I would like to see them kept.

I also think that Liberty Hall should be retained for the same reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

boneless wrote: »
    I feel they are part of the urban Dublin landscape at this stage, whatever the architectural, or lack of, merits. For that reason I would like to see them kept.

I also think that Liberty Hall should be retained for the same reasons.

Crap will always become infamous, because its.....crap. That should not be the reason for keeping things, in fact, its the reason they be gotten rid of. I can't wait for that dog ugly building to go bye byes.

By your reckoning, the Ballymun towers should never had taken a tumble, as they were part of the urban Dublin landscape (sure they even had their own film, Into The West) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Crap will always become infamous, because its.....crap. That should not be the reason for keeping things, in fact, its the reason they be gotten rid of. I can't wait for that dog ugly building to go bye byes.

By your reckoning, the Ballymun towers should never had taken a tumble, as they were part of the urban Dublin landscape (sure they even had their own film, Into The West) :rolleyes:

I actually did argue for the towers to be retained. There was nothing wrong with them. The problem was the lack of infrastructure in the area and the lack of social planning. There was a very good argument for them to be developed as student accomadation for DCU but this was rejected. Just because buildings are modern does not mean they have some merits.

I can imagine what was said in the 18th century about the old Dutch Billies by the Georgian planners...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

boneless wrote: »
    I actually did argue for the towers to be retained. There was nothing wrong with them. The problem was the lack of infrastructure in the area and the lack of social planning. There was a very good argument for them to be developed as student accomadation for DCU but this was rejected. Just because buildings are modern does not mean they have some merits.

I can imagine what was said in the 18th century about the old Dutch Billies by the Georgian planners...:p

Ballymun did suffer from bad planing, lack of infrastructure etc. but that still didn't mean that the towers were god awful to look that, and no lick of paint by DCU was going to stop that from being the case.

The concrete architectural design that seemed to prevail in the 60's here and moreso in the UK is horrid and should never be held in regard.

I highly doubt that as time goes on people's opinion of such buildings would change and they would be held in the same regard that Georgian buildings are now.

For example, Cascada's music is utter ****e, it always will be. It wont be the case that in 40 years they will be viewed as some sort of misunderstood geniuses with us all marvelling their work. They will always be crap, much like how buildings such as the baymun flats and Liberty Hall will always look crap.

Advertisement