Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Download Sample/Past Theses

• 16-03-2008 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

Can anybody let me know where I might download sample or past Theses for review. As I am beginning my research Masters and want to get an idea of what my final product should be. Also, is there sample layouts for a Thesis floating around, as most of the ones I found on google are American style layouts and prob. not suitable to Ireland.

Thanks in advance.

GF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Hi,

Can anybody let me know where I might download sample or past Theses for review. As I am beginning my research Masters and want to get an idea of what my final product should be. Also, is there sample layouts for a Thesis floating around, as most of the ones I found on google are American style layouts and prob. not suitable to Ireland.

Thanks in advance.

GF

RE: past theses -- why don't you look in your library? Yes, for all the talk of Ireland being a great "knowlege-based economy", most libraries don't archive theses digitally.

RE: thesis layout -- why don't you talk to your project supervisor or find out if there's a standard for your department/institution?

Personally, I use Latex. The style can be changed after the content is written as and when required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Cantab. wrote: »
    RE: past theses -- why don't you look in your library? Yes, for all the talk of Ireland being a great "knowlege-based economy", most libraries don't archive theses digitally.

Exactly. One of the first thing I say to students I am supervising is go to the library and look for previous student's theses. This gives them an idea of the standard required. All college libraries will have copies of previous student's theses.
    Cantab. wrote: »
    RE: thesis layout -- why don't you talk to your project supervisor or find out if there's a standard for your department/institution?

It would be a very poor department that doesn't have a formal specification for a thesis. We give out a handbook that gives general guidelines on all matters relating to a thesis, plus a required layout for the document.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I have seen at first hand what MS Word can do when it corrupts someone's thesis when I was called to rescue them! So don't use it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Red Alert wrote: »
    I have seen at first hand what MS Word can do when it corrupts someone's thesis when I was called to rescue them! So don't use it!

I would disagree. :) Some people have no choice (and don't get Latex).

If there is one thing you are guaranteed, it is to lose some work, so make sure you have plenty of backups. And backups of backups. And don't forget to backup your backups.

Many moons ago, I used Star Office on Linux (precursor to Open Office) to write my thesis. Now that was hell. And I did all my coding using the vi editor. Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 grungefreak1

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I would disagree. :) Some people have no choice (and don't get Latex).

Many moons ago, I used Star Office on Linux (precursor to Open Office) to write my thesis. Now that was hell. And I did all my coding using the vi editor. Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment.
    You certainly are a glutton for punishment!

Thanks Guys.

GF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

Hi,

When I wrote my thesis I found a thesis guidebook extremely helpful. The book I used was very general and did not apply to any discipline or subject. However, it still enabled me to focus on what the important aspects were for my thesis.

At the time I was struggling to really get a solid structure and just happened to be in Tallaght library when the book caught my eye. The book would be useful for you because it also gives a good insight into what it takes to write a thesis.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the title of the book! But I would encourage you to have a google, ebay or local library search for a similar title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 willob

I would agree with most of what has been said here. Definately back up your work. My computer crashed when I was doing my MA and I lost everything. Luckily I was only into the first couple of months of the course but I learned my lesson.

As for layout, if the department does not have a postgrad handbook outlying how a thesis should be presented then that's very bad on their part. Your course director should be able to guide you should the dep not.

Advertisement