Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing Q

Options
  • 16-03-2008 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

Getting an extension at present, and had to knock my existing garage out back to aid the build. I was toying with the idea of putting my new condenser boiler into the new garage out back to heat the house. The garage would be about 20feet from house. Would it be a good idea or would i lose to much heat! My plumber is not mad about the idea...

Anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

not a great idea even if you get the correct pipes (duoflex or other) to lay in the ground outside theres still going to be some heat lose out of them and you could be talking up to E1500 for the pipes alone if its 20ft. plus with that length you would be putting extra pressure on the pump and just asking for trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

My boiler is in a boilerhouse about 20 ft from the house. Plumbing is done in normal 1" qualpex (or similar) which is insulated and placed in a duct which is further insulated. Cost sod all extra in plumbing!

There is some heat loss, you can see the frost disappear first from the area over the pipes but it's not so you'd notice the extra kerosene, or the extra time taken to heat the rads. I don't notice extra pressure on the pumps. They're working away merrily for the past 3 years and they're just the standard pumps. There are stronger ones available.

The reason I located the boiler there is so that I may add a different type boiler at some stage in the future (eg wood pellet) when and if, it's appropriate to do so, with minimal disruption. Add to this the fact there is no smells or noise in the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

1" qual in a 4" wavin pipe is probably just as good as any hi-spec pipe on the market but the longer the primery flow and return are the more the boiler will be lighting thus using more fuel being less efficient
    when you consider the average coil in a cylinder uses approx. 12000btu can you imagine what 40ft of pipe in the ground outside is losing!
    all im saying is that the closer to the hot press the better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Rats, I was thinking the same as you both, but just thought it would be easier to have in the garage than in the main house.....Rats...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ajoebloggs

mad m wrote: »
    Getting an extension at present, and had to knock my existing garage out back to aid the build. I was toying with the idea of putting my new condenser boiler into the new garage out back to heat the house. The garage would be about 20feet from house. Would it be a good idea or would i lose to much heat! My plumber is not mad about the idea...

Anyone any suggestions?
    why don't a firebird heatpac he and put boiler any where you like

• Advertisement
Advertisement