Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Venables: drink-drive Dunphy cost me job

• 16-03-2008 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Clicky
    Terry Venables has launched an astonishing attack on Eamon Dunphy, asking "how can a self-confessed cocaine-user and convicted drink-driver lecture me on my character?"

Venables, in an in-depth interview in today's Sunday Independent, also attacks the FAI, accusing them of being "frightened" of Dunphy and claims that the three-man panel appointed to find Steve Staunton's successor was merely "decoration".

He also says that the head of the panel, Don Givens, was an hour late for Venables' interview for the Irish job and accuses the man who led the hunt of "bull****ting".

Venables claims that the FAI had a "change of heart" after Dunphy's appearance on RTE last November, when he questioned the character and record of the then-favourite.

"He's reckless," Venables says of Dunphy. "How can he get away with it and how can people listen to this on a continual basis?"

I knew there were rumblings about a legal action...!

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yet more proof that he was the wrong man for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Like El Tel can talk, he's no more than a common crook!

Broken Dreams by Tom Bowers
    Insight into corruption in British football

Recommended reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Serious case of pot and kettle. We dodged a bullet thanks to Dunphy. Cheers Eamo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

The fact that the FAI are clearly so worried about Dunphy shows how spineless they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I normally watch/listen to Dunphy for comedy value alone but I for one was delighted when he attacked Venables the way he did. Venables, like certain other English football figures, can do no wrong in the eyes of sections of their media. As a result the impression of mass support can be manipulated into being with a few well placed articles and columns where the reality is very different. Dunphy thankfully blew all of that out of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yes, Dunphy is running the show at the FAI :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jayzus, looks like they made the right decision after all :rolleyes: fool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Murtinho wrote: »
    The fact that the FAI are clearly so worried about Dunphy shows how spineless they are.

You are joking, yes?

Im surprised they didnt re hire Stan to piss Dunphy off. They despise the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

thats hilarious.Its why our pundits are so special,can you imagine any english commentator or anywhere else in the world.where they would be threatened with legal action due to abusing a mans charachter on national television.lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Where or where is there proof to back this up? I fail to see any logistical reason why the FAI would even listen to Dunphy. I know they're not the best footballing organisation in the world but ffs they can make their own decisions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

dc69 wrote: »
    thats hilarious.Its why our pundits are so special,can you imagine any english commentator or anywhere else in the world.where they would be threatened with legal action due to abusing a mans charachter on national television.lol

uhhh, yes. engerland. wasn't Linekar in court before over something stupid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

uhhh, yes. engerland. wasn't Linekar in court before over something stupid?
    From here:
    A libel action brought by Australian international Harry Kewell against former England striker Gary Lineker and the Sunday Telegraph has been settled out of court for undisclosed terms.

A High Court jury was discharged last month when it failed to reach a verdict on the action taken by Kewell after comments in a newspaper article written by Lineker over the Australian’s move to Liverpool in 2003. Kewell’s solicitor Chris Farnell told Reuters on Monday that an out-of-court settlement had been reached. “We considered the judge’s summing up in the case was quite clear and precise and Harry feels that he has been vindicated,” Farnell said. Farnell said the two sides would not be seeking a retrial.

The action was launched by Kewell after a Sunday Telegraph article by Lineker criticising the way the Australian’s transfer from Leeds United to Liverpool had been handled. The article said Kewell and his agent Bernie Mandic had “cleverly circumvented” the sport’s rules on transfer negotiations. Arguing in court for Kewell, Andrew Monson said the article was “totally lacking in fairness and balance” and the reader was presented with a “one way and one eyed picture” without giving Kewell or Mandic the opportunity to defend themselves.
    With regard to legal action against Dunphy, did he actually say anything untrue on television? As I recall he didn't, he pointed out the man's managerial record wasn't particularly impressive which Venables surely can't be contesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

There are two different issues here.

One: Did Dunphy 'influence' the FAI and if so, does him stating fact libel El Tel. I would think probably not and 100% no.

Two: El Tel being used by the Sindo - a horrible vitriolic rag- to have a go at a former columnist who left under bad circumstances. All the article is is a hatchet job.

Venebals won't sue, this is just the Sindo airing dirty linen in public. A complete non story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

shane86 wrote: »
    You are joking, yes?
    Im surprised they didnt re hire Stan to piss Dunphy off. They despise the man.

they may despise him but they probably went from Venables as they didnt want him on their and the new mans back from the very off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

they may despise him but they probably went from Venables as they didnt want him on their and the new mans back from the very off.

they were never 'on' him in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Bitter little men.....

That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Dunphy has never liked any Irish manager of the last 20 years. Kerr got off the lightest, and at that still wasnt criticism free. The appointment of Trappatoni marked the first time Dunphy has ever talked positively about an Ireland manager.*

If Delaney gets paid, he couldnt give a ****e what Dunphy, or, it would seem from events in recent years, what the fans think of him, as long as he is still in the job. His FAI position is an appointed job. It isnt politics, where the person in power has to remain popular with the public and the media.

*: Ill always love his assesment of Rafa Benitez

"Hes a nice man, but he has a very negative streak"

The ironing is delicious.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

EL Tel seems a tad sensitive. I'd say he wouldnt be able to handle the pressure if he got the job and results didnt go our way. Bearing in mind that the majority of fans were very much against him being touted as potential manager, he would receive serious flak if he didnt get results.

The FAI actually come out of all this with a bit of credit for a change. Trapp is a good choice. EL Tel slagging the FAI comes across as very petty indeed. I for one am glad that we don't have that dodgy dealing, smooth talking, smarmy individual as our manager. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is Dunphy actually that mental? Has he been caught drink driving before? And also about the coke? Does he snort that **** too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Interesting quotes from Dunphy in that article:
    "There was a sustained media campaign here by friends of his to panic the FAI into appointing him."

"The FAI were almost railroaded into appointing him. "

I would like to see Dunphy expand on these statements. Theres certainly never a dull moment with Dunphy and his conspiracy theories. I have to give him that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Maybe your a has been manager who was the co-captain in the destruction of English football and have nothing on Trappattoni's CV...

Maybe thats why you didnt get the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

cheesedude wrote: »
    Is Dunphy actually that mental? Has he been caught drink driving before? And also about the coke? Does he snort that **** too?

yes and yes

neither are any secret, he openly talks about both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

This is true but the outcome (we have a world class manager of the highest calibre) has to be right!

Advertisement