Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mobile phone law - does it apply to iPods and iPhones?

Options
  • 16-03-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

as thread states?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

All phones cannot be held:
    from http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/act/pub/0023/sec0003.html#id1151527006.39
    3.— (1) A person shall not while driving a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place hold a mobile phone.
    “ hold ”, in relation to a mobile phone, means holding the phone by hand or supporting or cradling it with another part of the body;
    i-Pod isn't a phone but
    (4) The Minister may, to avoid the impairment or interference with the driving capacity or capabilities of the driver of a mechanically propelled vehicle, make regulations in relation to the restriction or prohibition in mechanically propelled vehicles in public places of the use of—
    (a) a mobile phone (other than in the circumstances referred to in subsection (1) ),
    (b) an in-vehicle communication device,
    (c) information equipment, or
    (d) entertainment equipment.
    I don't believe that such legislation has been passed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Given that it will come down to your word versus the Garda's, I'd suggest that anything that looks like a mobile phone could land you with penalty points. There was a thread here just after the change came in where someone claimed that they had been mistakenly accused because they were scratching their ear as they passed a Garda. It's pretty much impossible to prove that you weren't holding your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Well, the iPhone is a phone, so that's most certainly covered. Doesn't matter if you're not making a phone call at the time.

As regards iPODS, the minister is empowered to regulate the use of 'entertainment systems', so that might be covered too. I believe that wearing of headphones is banned somwhere.

In any case, there's a 'catch-all' offence of driving without due care or attention which could be brought to bear. That'd also cover reading a free-sheet while driving.

I see many people flouting the law using a mobile handset, usually when driving along the hard shoulder.

If in doubt, don't do it.

Advertisement