Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with website!

Options
  • 16-03-2008 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,

I've been running a website for the local soccer club for over six months now.
    I started from scratch, teaching myself how to set it up using Windows Publisher 2003.

I'd just like to have ye're ideas on how to improve it, eg. any missing links, just general improvements.

The sites www.ballybridgeunited.com

All help appreciated, Thanks

Donough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

If you do actually want to improve it then you will have to drop publisher as your wysiwyg editor - its not built for making websites.

You could simply build the website with something like pspad and a graphics editor but there would be a large learning curve.

If you want to use a wysiwyg editor then you probably would want to be looking at Adobe Dreamweaver (US$399) or some free alternatives such as Mozilla SeaMonkey or microsoft visual web developer express edition. I have never used any of the free alternatives so I cannot tell you which is better.

Next what you need to do is visit as many other soccer club websites as you can. Note what you like about them and what you don't in areas such as content structure (how is the content organised), Navigation (how is the navigation presented - type/look of menu, ease of use etc), Layout (how are the pages layed out - is everything where you expect it to be), Design (is the page appealing, is it memorable, does it help to improve your experience of visiting the site etc)

It would be great if you learned (x)html and css. It actually is easier than you think but it is a steep learning curve at first. Once you get the idea of how it works then it gets alot easier. Some links and a downloadable layout html and css file can be found here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

It looks like you're designing for a very specific resolution/window-size.
    This background image repeats/tiles horribly once the browser window becomes larger than it.

Next, drop the Comic Sans... actually pick a font to begin with, they seem to be all over the place.

I don't know what graphics package you're using, but the images on this site are super-jaggy / aliased / blocky... you might consider revamping them in an app that'll do anti-aliasing for you.
    Some good free/opensource programs to add to your arsenal for this task would be The Gimp and Inkscape.

And +1 what axer said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BRENSH

I have been looking at your source code and it is full of vml (vector markup language). Basically its what microsoft office uses to save online files . i.e Save As HTML.

Dont use it.

Use an HTML editor. By right you should learn HTML yourself. It would make trouble shooting much easier.

Also learn CSS.

It will be a valuable resource in the future.

Advertisement