Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox 360 Mega Price Drop!!! Now cheaper than beans!

• 16-03-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Since last Friday 14th, Microsoft has dropped their prices by up to €80.

According to Game the new prices are:

Xbox 360 Arcade ~ €199.99
    Xbox 360 Premium w/ choice of one game (Halo 3;Assasions Creed;Forza?) ~€269.99
    Xbox 360 Elite ~ €369.99

These are all HDMI, come with a wireless controller and more reliable than the older 360s.

This makes them (except Elite) cheaper than the wonderful Wii giving more competition to this area since PS3 has outsold the 360 ALREADY!!!

Unfortunately though, people on ebay, adverts and komplett are still looking for the higher prices for the older versions!!!

According to CustomPC in Issue 54, the xbox360 and PS3 were joint last in the console analysis with 82. The Wii was second with 83 and the good old (non-console!?) PC came first with 99 points. Now since the xbox 360 has lowered its price, it would recieve the same Price Score as the wii gaining it 1 more point!
    This leaves PS3 last, and the xbox 360 and wii joint second. I would be happy to accept that since the PS3 is just an un-moddable, expensive,non backward compatible, tank-like, blu-ray version of an xbox 360 providing the same or worse range of games.
    According to the article PS3 is not anyway really more graphically wonderful(COD4 looking worse on it; Burnout Paradise looking better). Also it states that a PS3 looks worse than a wii on a standard TV.

Good news for Microsoft. Good news for us.. Maybe PS3 might even join the price range if it stays this competitive..

Although a lot of people seem to be flashing their xbox360 and I hear that Microsoft loose a lot of money for every console they sell... PS3 doesn't have this problem yet. One, its not backward compatible so new games must be bought. Two, Its not yet possible to play "backups" on it. This means that PS3 might be able to match the price range.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sony are actually loosing a fortune on each console sold as far as I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

As with all consoles... but at least Sony force you to buy new games. An xbox 360 can play xbox games and can be flashed to play pirated games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there's a thread about 5 threads down on this particular topic.

take off the stupid multiplayer tax and i'll buy one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Cremo wrote: »
    take off the stupid multiplayer tax and i'll buy one

Its not stupid at all,its worth every penny if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

toco123 wrote: »
    According to CustomPC in Issue 54, the xbox360 and PS3 were joint last in the console analysis with 82. The Wii was second with 83 and the good old (non-console!?) PC came first with 99 points. Now since the xbox 360 has lowered its price, it would recieve the same Price Score as the wii gaining it 1 more point!
    This leaves PS3 last, and the xbox 360 and wii joint second. I would be happy to accept that since the PS3 is just an un-moddable, expensive,non backward compatible, tank-like, blu-ray version of an xbox 360 providing the same or worse range of games.
    According to the article PS3 is not anyway really more graphically wonderful(COD4 looking worse on it; Burnout Paradise looking better). Also it states that a PS3 looks worse than a wii on a standard TV.

Sorry dude but you shouldn't really base your opinions on what you read in CustomPC of all mags. It is tripe, and has been for quite a while.

The 360 price cuts are great, and if i didn't already have an elite i'd have one but you're a little off the mark in some of your points there. Your un-moddable console can be set up to run linux, hence emulators etc. out of the box, you can upgrade the hard drive simply and cheaply. 60gb & 80gb versions are backward compatible. The console is not much bigger than the 360 and not at all bigger if you include the 360s psu. And as for tank like have a listen to a 360 in full flight. COD 4 looks and runs pretty much identically on the ps3 and 360 unless you have your consoles set up wrong in which case one may look darker than the other.

Now i didn't post that to defend the ps3 (i have everything mentioned in this post) but to correct the points above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

According to CustomPC in Issue 54, the xbox360 and PS3 were joint last in the console analysis with 82. The Wii was second with 83 and the good old (non-console!?) PC came first with 99 points.

lmao shock horror

pc magazine in scoring pc higher than consoles shocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The RRP of the Wii is 249.99, it just so happens rip off merchants in Ireland charge 269.99 probably due to the free game :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Since last Friday 14th, Microsoft has dropped their prices by up to €80.

According to Game the new prices are:

Xbox 360 Arcade ~ €199.99
    Xbox 360 Premium w/ choice of one game (Halo 3;Assasions Creed;Forza?) ~€269.99
    Xbox 360 Elite ~ €369.99

These are all HDMI, come with a wireless controller and more reliable than the older 360s.

This makes them (except Elite) cheaper than the wonderful Wii giving more competition to this area since PS3 has outsold the 360 ALREADY!!!

Unfortunately though, people on ebay, adverts and komplett are still looking for the higher prices for the older versions!!!

Good news for Microsoft. Good news for us.. Maybe PS3 might even join the price range if it stays this competitive..

Although a lot of people seem to be flashing their xbox360 and I hear that Microsoft loose a lot of money for every console they sell... PS3 doesn't have this problem yet. One, its not backward compatible so new games must be bought. Two, Its not yet possible to play "backups" on it. This means that PS3 might be able to match the price range.

Cool I didnt know the Arcade 360 was ment to have the hdmi slot and built upon the cooler/more reliable processor chip same as elite version. Im about to buy the arcade 360 as my current premium 360 is in bits, the cd tray dont work as it scrapes the cds and freezes and the tray itself rarely opens or closes! So i'll just take the HD out of my old 360 and put it into the shiny new arcade 360. I presume these newer arcade 360's are more reliable than the 360 i bought 2 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

whats up with the ****ty smally space in arcade? can i upgrade the hard drive?

the arcade doesn't come with a hdd, but you can add one. They're pricey enough though, if you want a hdd it might be worth getting a pro or an elite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

This might sound like a stupid question but what is the hard drive used for? Is it just game saves? How big are game saves?

thanks savemejebus

well u need it for xbox live arcade games too , i assume.
    Like sf2 HD Remix is gonna be out soon and i need space for that as its over the min of 150mb live game limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

probably a silly question, but isn't the 'arcade' version aimed at being used for the live arcade?

if the live arcade is all about downloading games etc. then where are you going to put them on your 'arcade' xbox360 if theres no hard drive?

i'm sure I must be missing something somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

vibe666 wrote: »
    probably a silly question, but isn't the 'arcade' version aimed at being used for the live arcade?

if the live arcade is all about downloading games etc. then where are you going to put them on your 'arcade' xbox360 if theres no hard drive?

i'm sure I must be missing something somewhere.

You get a 256mb memory card with the arcade console which is starting to get pointless now as the some arcade games are hitting 100mb in size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

What exactly are the bundle deal offers in Xtravision for 360's? Im thinking of getting a Elite and dont know theyre bundles and cant be bothered to ring them :D

GUYS!!! I just found out in PC World today!!

The Arcade is NOT backwards compatible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

GUYS!!! I just found out in PC World today!!

The Arcade is NOT backwards compatible

You need a harddrive to play old xbox games

Aha... thanks man for pointing that ou!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

CyberWaste wrote: »
    What exactly are the bundle deal offers in Xtravision for 360's? Im thinking of getting a Elite and dont know theyre bundles and cant be bothered to ring them :D

Premium Console + 4 games from this list: Halo 3,PG4,Gears of War,Scene It,Forza 2 or Blue Dragon= €299.99

Elite Console bundle same as above but €100 dearer at €399.99

You also get 3 free game rentals as well.

what if one did not appreciate the selection provided?

Gears of war seems like the only one i would play.
    maybe PGR...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

ciano1 wrote: »
    You need a harddrive to play old xbox games

Just buy an xbox for €20 in gamestop!

what gb are they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

No he means just to buy an XBOX 1 for 20€ to play the backward compatible games.

oh :/
    no space for two BRICKS ! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Placebo wrote: »

maybe PGR...

You are getting 4 games for €30! If you will play Gears you would probably have a crack at Halo,and if you might play PGR,then you would also have a crack at Forza! If not just trade them back in.

tvnutz wrote: »
    You are getting 4 games for €30! If you will play Gears you would probably have a crack at Halo,and if you might play PGR,then you would also have a crack at Forza! If not just trade them back in.

being aware of course that you'll get sweet f*ck all trading in the above games. Better off selling them on adverts.

Placebo wrote: »

maybe PGR...

Buy a wii?!
    Forza is betta than PGR4 anyway..

Its Halo 3;GoW;Forza 2 and Blue Dragon for me...

Actually can I just buy 4 Halo 3's!?!?

Advertisement