Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat won't start, possibly dirt from fuel

Options
  • 16-03-2008 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

My B5 '00 passat won't start, after running the tank empty. Thought I had an awful lot more in the tank, but it ran empty about 2 minutes from the fuel station.
    Tried starting it once it cut out a few times, might have done some damage? :S
    Before it cut out I felt a big kind of jud in the accelerator, a bit of a kick - apparently that happens when the tank is running out.

When I filled it with fuel (about 4 litres), it started after a fair bit of persuasion, but got me to the garage. Filled it, started after persuasion drove it away gave it a good drive, but the whole time the rev counter was bouncing around the place, not climbing through the revs constant - also, if it was pushed, there would be nothing happening after ~5000 revs. Didn't feel right, and this was on a full tank of fuel.

I stopped up at home, and since then haven't been able to get it started - coughs a lot when turning, backfires sometimes..
    It will sometimes start, rev to about 3000, and then dies all of a sudden - it'l bounce around 1000rpm and then cut out.
    Don't seem to have been able to get it actually running.
    Trouble is no mechanics are open until Tuesday and I needed to be in Dublin this evening! Arg...

Anybody have any advice on what to start trying, I have fairly limited mechanical knowledge.. I guessed the fuel filter, but looking up online how to check it - it's under the car, looks like a reasonably big job, I'd rather avoid that one at all costs.
    Thanks!
    Cian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ok, if you expect it to rev more than 5000rpm, I assume that it is a petrol engine. It really isn't good for the catalytic converter to let any petrol engine run out of fuel, the car will start missfiring which can easily damage it. I would stop trying to start the car before you do any damage, and get a mechanic to look at it as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Ran mine out of fuel before but it started again no problem and experienced no issues. It does sound a little like dirt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Is it a TDI or petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

OK Problem solved! Turns out the bigass pipe bringing air into the engine had come loose, and was causing all the dodgey revs... Also means it mightn't have run out of fuel that time, and that was why it wouldn't start... Problem fixed anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

cianclarke wrote: »
    OK Problem solved! Turns out the bigass pipe bringing air into the engine had come loose, and was causing all the dodgey revs... Also means it mightn't have run out of fuel that time, and that was why it wouldn't start... Problem fixed anyway :)

I was going to suggest thats what it was mate, thats why I asked if she was a TDI or petrol :) Happened to me recently, actually felt like it was a puncture as all the power drained from away from it even though the engine was running, bizarre sensation :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Indeed! Yeah, had problems with this before too, same pipe just another section of it.

This is actually the main bit where it goes right into the engine, but I reckon it needs to be replaced as I couldn't even get a jubilee clip to hold it in place now... It's just wedged in and leaks a little, probably effecting performance a lot.

Advertisement