Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Dorans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

<SNIP> Please don't post unsubstantiated rumours that might land boards in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I walked past recently and saw the aforementioned truck with lots of stuff in the back. Looks like its being redone or something.
    steve_ wrote: »
    Seems fibbers is the only spot to get decent metal these days. Shame.
    :eek:
    Sure, if a load of spooky kids listening to terrible music and having a bar full of emos is your idea of metal?

Bruxelles ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

well the few times iv been there iv heard everything from NIN, metallica, tool and pantera to rage against the machine and type o negative. I couldn't complain with that maybe its ****e some other nights but the times iv been there have been spot on. Granted Bruxelles is class too

a lttle known fact about fibbers is that in the jukebox by the bar upstairs, there is more cascada than deicide on the jukebox, and more beyonce than slayer or megadeth. Yup, real metal bar there. I used to go there for about 3-4 years, then I discovered bruxelles. Suffice it to say, i havent been back much! Theres 3 things i like about fibbers, beer is cheap, the (female lol) barstaff are hot and most of the chicks are easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I think it's quite obvious that Dublin is crying out for some new metal bar/club. Now that Doran's is gone, what is there, apart from Fibber's/ Bruxelle's?

You'd think some entrepreneurial person would open a new place, I'd say it would do a lot of business.

Fibber's has been dead lately, as has Bruxelles. Most of my friends are going to 'normal' clubs on nights out now, and I fcukin' hate it. For one thing, there are no yummy metalheads to be seen (apart from me! :p), and more importantly, the music's sh1te!

Sad times, lads. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Acacia wrote: »
    Fibber's has been dead lately, as has Bruxelles. Most of my friends are going to 'normal' clubs on nights out now

And yet you wonder why there's no decent metal bars in Dublin? Dublin is clearly not crying out for any metal/rock bars. I was in fibbers last night and it was a miserable bunch of people and 15 year olds in there. Haven't been there in months previously and I won't be back as long as I can avoid it.

"Normal" clubs may not play the music you like, but most of the city/world enjoy that music, and there's more people there. Thus, more fun... (in general).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

And yet you wonder why there's no decent metal bars in Dublin? Dublin is clearly not crying out for any metal/rock bars. I was in fibbers last night and it was a miserable bunch of people and 15 year olds in there. Haven't been there in months previously and I won't be back as long as I can avoid it.

"Normal" clubs may not play the music you like, but most of the city/world enjoy that music, and there's more people there. Thus, more fun... (in general).

But that's the thing- me and my friends aren't going to ''normal'' clubs because we like the music they play more, we go there in spite of the crap music! Because Fibber's and Bruxelle's have gotten somewhat boring of late... what I meant was if a new, fresh metal bar opened I'm sure a lot of people would go. I certainly would.

This thread seems to indicate the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i think its getting turned into a proper venue for medium sized gigs a la the academy etc///....i guess it worked with the rock garden so hopefully the sound will be good....

Please stay closed, i hate you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

sugarman wrote: »
    Now thats what i would love to see! Something along the line of the academy 2 downstairs and maybe a larger venue upstairs with some serious renovations.

Always loved playing in dorans, sound was'nt the best but it was nice and intimate and could pack a decent crowd. Especially if it was an all ages with the central bank only being a couple of meters up the road;)

Id be sad to see it go anyway if it was to completely dissapear, had many a good nights in there.

couldnt agree more, althought the village, whelans, ALT.. etc have better sound, lights and general space, dorans was always the most fun place to play in.. and hopefully it'll still be a venue, cause god knows dublins slowly running outta good ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I'll miss the €6 pizza and pint deal.

The pizzeria is still open is it? If so, im sure theyre kicking themselves that the nightclub beside has closed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 06621121

They were getting drink from up the north cheap and selling it on premises.. Can't see it opening anytime soon considering how anything to do with the irish legal system is a mission!
    Bad news :(

06621121 wrote: »
    They were getting drink from up the north cheap and selling it on premises.. Can't see it opening anytime soon considering how anything to do with the irish legal system is a mission!
    Bad news :(
    Where did you hear that? Is that even illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Is that even illegal?

I would imagine it's tax evasion.

Anyway I walked past today and again they were renovating, but now there's a banner above it.

It features a "hawt chikk" on the right hand side. Just her oompa-loompa (caked in make-up) face giving an erotic "sleep with me" look to the passers by with a horribly made (yellow with awfully standard font) logo for "Dorans" (no Eamon).

Nothing else there but the banner suggests they're after the Club M market, which is a bit disastrous business-wise but if they keep a live venue part open downstairs it could be alright.. as long as it's nice, clean and the toilets don't smell like fibbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

I was in there tonight (first night open since it was done up) and i have to say it was the biggest load of crap!! it is nothing like it used to be. It might have been better if there wasn't 30 odd people in the place, but still it is like they are trying to attract a different crowd, it the 10x brighter than it used to be, not its black and red walls that it used to have, it is white everywhere, lights on full, they even have a ridiculous chandelier in the main entrance. All new staff too. There is no jukebox on the wall to select your music, but there was a DJ playing there tonight beside the bar. The only good thing that they have done to the place is they have done up the toilets so you are not pissing while standing in someone else's piss!

On the plus side i possibly have the first pint glass taken from the place :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Oh dear. What music was on the jukebox?

Good on ye for gettin' a free glass out of it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Would be sad to see it go completely but it really is somewhere I think could be run a hell of a lot better. Nice spot to go in for a quiet pint during the day.

Its a good size, great location and a good atmosphere. They could modernise it, stop having rip off prices, improve the trainspotting decor toilets and it would do a hell of a lot better.

Last time in there it was packed, was at the weekend so guessing they're not foing well mid-week, they should do it up like bruxelles and fibbers and they'd attract a much bigger crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Last time in there it was packed, was at the weekend so guessing they're not foing well mid-week, they should do it up like bruxelles and fibbers and they'd attract a much bigger crowd.

Do it up like fibbers?

That makes my head hurt.

So it's back open but by the sounds of it, not the Dorans we remember... I'll have to check it out tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Would be sad to see it go completely but it really is somewhere I think could be run a hell of a lot better. Nice spot to go in for a quiet pint during the day.

Its a good size, great location and a good atmosphere. They could modernise it, stop having rip off prices, improve the trainspotting decor toilets and it would do a hell of a lot better.

Pahahahahaha :P do it up like fibbers!? ok.. that's just funny :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

I had a peek in yesterday and I saw things like glowing staircases and dj stands. Nearly got sick on the street. What have those monsters done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I don't mean actually like the style of fibbers, I just mean clean the place up.

Fibbers used to be a hell of a lot worse for general scumminess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

......i think with all the really bad 80's revival...we are going to see a lot more tacky gaudy looking 80's nightclubs with calvin harris doing a slick fresh remix of rick astley with a dash of cyndi lauper....cue shoulder padded sequin jackets, oversized luxury sunglasses and every 80's nightmare that haunted your youth.....:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

No need to attack Ms. Lauper!

Yeah, I saw the place yesterday. It's uspsetting.
    Though if they still do the €6 pizza and pint deal, I will definitely go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Whats the shock about, Dorans has been attracting the Barcode set for the past year. Its cool to like bands again:rolleyes: . Fibbers will never go that way. Thank.****

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Is the Thin Lizzy sign still there or did it find a good home?

I went to see Cyndi Lauper a few months ago, I had fun :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

We need pics! I'm terrified they've taken away the dank, NOT THE DANK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

kona wrote: »
    Whats the shock about, Dorans has been attracting the Barcode set for the past year. Its cool to like bands again:rolleyes: . Fibbers will never go that way. Thank.****

I'm pretty sure it's starting to get that way already..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

but but but it wont be the same dorans when you walk in and can see :( i'm a little scared to go see it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 IAmYourWaitron

I went to see it last tuesday with my friends and its awful :( the atmosphere is gone and it has chandeliers and leather couches?! i miss old dorans.. the bouncers and bar staff are all gone too..

Advertisement