Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Myanmar AKA Burma?

• 16-03-2008 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

okay, i posted a few weeks back about being in maesai working as a volunteer and the concerns that were raised by friends if it was safe at the border.
    the place i was volunteering has decided in the last month they dont want any volunteers outside thailand due to a few of the volunteers refusal to accept thai culture. i havnt all the details but as a friend said, "one mistake is one too many when it involves kids".
    so now they've made links with a group working with children across in myanmar for me to work there. i spoke to a friend who had been there and she said she was driven everywhere by a taxi as it was unsafe in certain districts. so would it be madness to stay there for two months? i'd like to hear from ppl who have been there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭$lattman

All I would advise is to not watch the new Rambo film if you're thinking of going there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

i dont think its that unsafe but id imagine it would depend on the part of the country you will be staying in. try the lonely planet thorn tree forum or travellerspoint.com. u might be able to get better info on them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

yeah :o rambo... thats been everyones first word when i've said what im doing this summer. lol i'l see it after the summer.
    thanks i'l look further afield but if anyone knows anything please post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

The situation in Burma seems to have cooled since all the headline grapping protests a few months back - this is mainly down to the military cracking down especially hard on monks and the monastries which they view as repsonsible for the unrest

The regime is brutal, too many stories to relay - we were in Burma for a month in July last year - the people are fantastic and genuinely like meeting foreginers, talking about the political situation is a big no-no but generally i saw no trouble and felt safe the whole time i was there

However, there are places where permits are required to travel and the govt do their upmost to ensure foreigners never gain access - there arent many NGO's in the country except towards the border area with Thailand dealing with the refugee crisis

Im sorry i couldnt be more help but i suppose the best advice is to be careful

Advertisement