Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Cooking Sheet

• 16-03-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I bought one of these in Tesco for about €4 and used it for the first time last night for baking rooster and sweet potato covered in mixed herbs and spices. I've cooked the same before without the sheet many a time but this thing is crazy, I didn't use any oil or butter or anything, just put the chopped potato straight on and sprinkled on herbs and spices and once they were cooked, they just peeled straight off with such ease that I was actually sceptical of whether or not I was peeling a part of the actual sheet off with it:eek: but upon further inspection I wasn't.

The texture it leaves on the bottom of the potato is very strange aswell. It does actually make it look like it has left a plastic coating on your food. I was kinda worried but thought surely they wouldn't be allowed to be sold if they were dodgy so I eat up.

Has anyone else used these before? I wonder are they DEFINITELY safe? Definitely worthy of 5 stars if they are.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They really are that good - they've been around for years. You've just reminded me to buy a new one, I threw mine out by mistake. I had the toaster bags too - they're great for making toasted sandwiches in the toaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Do they definitely not leave remnants of plastic on the food so? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Not in my experience, no. And my mother is a food demonstrator in supermarkets - all the demonstrators use these magic sheets. Relax and enjoy :)

Cool, using it again at the moment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Great things, I mentioned them in a few threads, I have gone through about 4 so far. They eventually wear down with scrubbing, could be left to steep I suppose. When worn out I cut them up into smaller ones.

I can spread burger meat out on them and stick it direct on the pan, no oil. I put a full sheet into a wok and you can cook with very little or no oil. If things start to burn you hold the sheet at the 4 corners and take the whole thing out.

I also use them on george foreman type grills,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

can you still get those toaster bags?

dragonfly! wrote: »

Yes, and I saw them lately - but I can't think where :(
    If I remember I'll let you know.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

dragonfly! wrote: »
    I saw them at the Craft Fair in the RDS at Christmas. I think she said they were available in Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Dunnes Stores on Georges St are selling them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Ah cool thanks a mill everybody! :D had tried googling them and found that most places wont deliver to Ireland unless you order hundreds. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They are on ebay, the spelling is toastabags

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Aldi/Lidl do have them every so often as well (toastbags). Around €2.00 a pair I think

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jenny retro

got our toastabags in dunnes in galway so im guessing dunnes carry them.

pretty useful considering we dont have a grill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm curious about Cormie's recipe, sounds very healthy.
    Care to share?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Tis really easy (especially with the sheet:D). Just peel and slice a few spuds, I keep them wet and don't dry them or anything, place them on the sheet, sprinkle a mix of herbs and spices over them (I use chinese 5 spice, thyme, a mixed continental herb jar, paprika and I forget what else, but that's the main stuff). Then before I put them into bake I wet my fingers and splash drops of water over the lot.

There's a better way to do it though, which is to get a big saucer or whatever and put the potatoes in that and add the h+s there and then mix it all around together. Means you don't waste any h+s when they miss the target as they would by just sprinkling. Means more dishes though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmm, I think I'm misinterpreting the recipie!

Are you talking about sweet potatoes and chicken (or any other poultry) here?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I used both sweet and rooster potatoes. No meat ;)

Advertisement