Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get a black forest gateaux in dublin

• 16-03-2008 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Anyone?

Does anyone know where i'd find a good bakery, say in the city center of dublin, that makes good, german style, black forest gateaux's?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Black Forest Gateau in Dub? Try L'Ecrivain, a French Restaurant on Baggot Street (D2). Yummmmmm!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The "tea time" shop at the back of the Irish life mall do them from what I can remember an if not they will do one for you on request an are fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

None in City Center - but Superquinn do Black Forest Gateaux

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ann's Bakery on Jervis street aswell do them me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah i'd be looking for a whole cake. Black cherries, chocolate sprinkles... the lot. When I was over in Germany every second cafe had one but its so hard to find it anywhere over here. I'll try Superquinn but I can't remember ever seeing them out, I must have to preorder it. Plus i'd like to find an actual bakery that makes them fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

From SQ website:

Bakery >Cakes > SQ Fresh cream/Occasional

Black Forest 12" Square
    €38.99 Each

Black Forest 14" Square
    €53.99 Each

olaola wrote: »
    From SQ website:

Black Forest 12" Square
    €38.99 Each

Black Forest 14" Square
    €53.99 Each

I guess i'll stick with SQ then. I was just wondering if there was any good cornershop bakeries in this city that freshly made black forest gateaux. There is a severe lack of decent groceries, butchers and bakers in this city... damn you Super market, damn you....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Manning's bakery has the best quality black forest gateaux I've tried but costs more than other places. Last time I got one they were around €16. Most other places sells for for around half that price. There used to be one on Thomas Street but I think it's now closed.

Bakery opposite Jervis shopping centre main entrance, think that's a Kylemore bakery. They're nice too but obviously not as nice as the Manning's one.

Superquinn got them but never tried them. Seen them in blackrock but not in the new raneliegh superquinn express. No superquinn in city centre.

Seen them in Dunnes in St.Stephen's Green shopping centre too. Bakery/cake section to the right once you go down the escalator.

olaola wrote: »
    From SQ website:

Black Forest 12" Square
    €38.99 Each

Black Forest 14" Square
    €53.99 Each

I've never seen them in the shops which is odd. Would've bought and tried one have I seen it. I've only seen round ones that costs around €8 on display in blackrock SQ which didn't look great.

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Manning's bakery has the best quality black forest gateaux I've tried

where is mannings bakery?

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    where is mannings bakery?

List here. One I used to go to is on Thomas Street on the way to the Guiness Brewey but it seems to be closed.

edit: mannings on Thomas Street is still open, they were only refurbishing the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭flyingdagger

The Butlers Pantry in Donnybrook do a really nice one but their stuff tends to be pricey

sorry for the bump. I was in town getting my forthnightly supply of coffee beans and thought i'd head over to Thomas Street to check out mannings. The place is like an Oasis over there, it was market day and the streets just had filth and wrappers swirling around and more tracksuits then the bargain bucket in TK maxx.

It has been recently refurbed as its brand new inside. The black forest I bought was very good but I have to admit it was lathered in whipped cream, too much for my tastes. I ended up scraping most of it off the top. Also there where no cherries on top :eek: sacrilege imo.

I'm going to have a look around some of the other recommended bakeries and see what their black forests are like.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    sorry for the bump. I was in town getting my forthnightly supply of coffee beans and thought i'd head over to Thomas Street to check out mannings. The place is like an Oasis over there, it was market day and the streets just had filth and wrappers swirling around and more tracksuits then the bargain bucket in TK maxx.
    The place is like that everyday! Dunno how they can make a living selling Capri Sonne and random household items.
    It has been recently refurbed as its brand new inside. The black forest I bought was very good but I have to admit it was lathered in whipped cream, too much for my tastes. I ended up scraping most of it off the top. Also there where no cherries on top :eek: sacrilege imo.
    Yeah I know what you mean. It seems to stray from the classic recipe. Anne's Bakery outside Jervis makes it exactly like the one's I used to eat as a kid. Cherries, chocolate sprinkles instead of posh chocolate shavings etc.

I am curious as to what the SQ and butler's pantry ones are like. Let us know when you've tried them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thunders do them - when you pick one they pour on the choc shavings and they even have cherries on top :D My local one is Drumcondra..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

call mardi confectionery in the deansgrange industrial estate, they make amazing black forest and will sell to the public if you ring first to order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Foodfetish

Manning's on thomas st is deadly! A nice mix of old dublin/thunders style bakery stuff but still high quality. Doesnt try to be french or anything its not but does what it does well, at least someone isnt afraid of our own food heritage!! Agree about the too much cream though, can be a bit excessive but I think the oldies consider "excessive" as "luxurious", an overhang from those famine day's. Try their carrot cake muffins or apple tarts, delish. Thunders in Drumcondra do a black forest with the old school choc sprinkles around the side me thinks.

Foodfetish wrote: »
    Manning's on thomas st is deadly! A nice mix of old dublin/thunders style bakery stuff but still high quality. Doesnt try to be french or anything its not but does what it does well, at least someone isnt afraid of our own food heritage!! Agree about the too much cream though, can be a bit excessive but I think the oldies consider "excessive" as "luxurious", an overhang from those famine day's. Try their carrot cake muffins or apple tarts, delish. Thunders in Drumcondra do a black forest with the old school choc sprinkles around the side me thinks.

was in germany there recently and mannings really doesn't even hold a candle to the black forest gateaux's I had over there. Even your bog standard stuff you get in a high street cafe was excellent. It was easy on the cream, loaded with chocolate shavings and a full layer of cherries soaked in kirsch between the sponges, I could of sat there and ate it all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Foodfetish

That sounds fairly flash I have to say, never been to germany tho, funny how it falls off the list of gastro hot spots but knocks out a decent white wine , good sausage and apparently stonking black forest gateaux's! In the absence of an air fair tho I have to say Manning's is my no. 1 bakery/ deli at the mo, in the absence of stiff competition it has to be said!

Advertisement