Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

your teams "God"

• 16-03-2008 4:47pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

in the Liverpool thread atm (and more so on Pool forums) Torres is being talked about as their new "God" a moniker which they affectionatley have used primarily for Robbbie Fowler.

Similarily with my clubs fans (Villa) Paul McGrath is reffered to as "God" and that isnt just the Irish Villa fans. He is easily the most Revered former player at Villa Park and would win any favourite former player poll.

Ive also seen a poster here (you know who you are) using the "God" moniker when Reffering to Man Utds Anderson. This one im guessing however isnt as widespread within the clubs fan base as he really hasnt done enough (simply as he hasnt been round long enough) to get such a nickname?

so who are the "Gods" of the other clubs? or who do you think is most deserving of being one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think it was just one poster who called Torres God. Torres has done amazingly well in his first season and may turn out to have the best first season of a foreign striker ever...but I dont buy into the god tag for anyone. Never liked it for Fowler either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tusky wrote: »
    Never liked it for Fowler either.

?!?!?

There is only one player called "God" and its Fowler, all others are only pale imitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

I would call gerrard god long before torres(fowler will always be god),we cant forget where we came from.For the last 3 years,gerrard has been single handedly keeping liverpool in the top 4,he has basically won the fa cup and champions league single handedly.No ther player in the world has ever done that.

I admire torres and am so glad we have him but people cant forget what gerrard has done,his goals tally is probably more impressive than torres,considering he is playing midfield.stick him up front and i bet he gets as many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Tusky wrote:
    Never liked it for Fowler either.

I agree calling any player GOD without trying to take the piss is cringe worthy.
    mr alan wrote:
    There is only one player called "God" and its Fowler, all others are only pale imitations.

:rolleyes: Of course.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

dc69 wrote: »
    I would call gerrard god long before torres(fowler will always be god),we cant forget where we came from.For the last 3 years,gerrard has been single handedly keeping liverpool in the top 4,he has basically won the fa cup and champions league single handedly.No ther player in the world has ever done that.

I admire torres and am so glad we have him but people cant forget what gerrard has done,his goals tally is probably more impressive than torres,considering he is playing midfield.stick him up front and i bet he gets as many.

Agreed. Gerrard has done wonders for us an hasn't been given the GOD tag but I think thats because he isn't a Striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Henrik Larsson for Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the term god gets flashed around too much. anderson is not a god, neither is torres. you need to be doing it for 4 or 5 seasons to be classed as a god and even at that, the term is absurd. at united, none of the current team are fitting the tag, not even ronaldo, but he is getting there. for man utd, there are 3 of recent time, with Cantona being number 1. ul here his name sang at every single game, home and away, that tells something. (i have cantona 7 on this years white united jersey:))

likewise, Ole and Keano are another 2, but not in the same folklore as Eric.

so, for united, if the term god was being mentioned, most would say cantona. but we call him the king,not god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally I think teams only have a god if a player is just so much better than the rest of the squad.
    Cantona was our god, because he dragged the team to title after title. Currently though, Ronaldo is arguably been more effective than Cantona, yet we don't call him a god. Why? Cause we've lots of other good players.
    Keane was never really called a god, because he never had to do that sort of thing, he always had good players around him.

Fowler was a god because he scored goals when the majority of the team was just awful, and he was just amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Defo Cantona for United

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Defo Cantona for United
    Cantona without question for me too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Shearer for Newcastle. Whether rightly or wrongly, he choose to ply his trade at his beloved home town club over glory with ManYoo.

I don't think any other player, at any club, casts the shadow that Shearer does over Newcastle, maybe Le Tiss at Southhampton.

while im not fans of shearer and le tiss, totally cos they rejected united, i have to say i really admire both players for it. given at newcastle is another one. foolish in some terms, but totally admirable and correct in other terms and alot of current players could learn this sort of loyalty. shearer is a god no doubt to the geordies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Davei141 wrote: »
    I agree calling any player GOD without trying to take the piss is cringe worthy.

Never really liked it but a pious scouse lad explained to me it was 'Goals on Demand'! (so not blasphemous). With this meaning, Torres is certainly in line to inherit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

While I admire Le Tiss, because I think he did it out of loyalty, personally I think Shearer did it more for his ego than anything else.

PHB wrote: »
    While I admire Le Tiss, because I think he did it out of loyalty, personally I think Shearer did it more for his ego than anything else.

There are very few footballers out there who's ego don't control them.

Personally, I think what Sherear did (if it was down to ego, which I would debate) is alot more commendable than players demanding parity of pay, moving clubs because £50,000 a week just ain't enough, proclaiming your love and loyalty to your home town club and then fcuking off elsewhere the next season, promising you'll never play for united only to move there when your club goes belly up etc. etc. etc.

There are very few cities in the world where one club dominates the city in terms of support. Having been over to a few games in Newcastle, I could only imagine what it must be like to growup a lifelong fan and then have the chance to wear the black and white for the Geordie faithful. Ego, I think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

My GOD is steven gerrard always was and always will be Steven Gerrard.
    Fowler was a god but gerrard is more of a god than torres..Torres will be the new GOD if he keeps going the way he is going. But Gerrard is GOD. No opinions otherwise accepted.

stick-dan wrote: »
    My GOD is steven gerrard always was and always will be Steven Gerrard.
    Fowler was a god but gerrard is more of a god than torres..Torres will be the new GOD if he keeps going the way he is going. But Gerrard is GOD. No opinions otherwise accepted.

:eek: :eek: :eek: oh deary me. how long are u a liverpool fan? wat would happen if he left in the summer which he nearly did before? at least fowler is still held in high reguard. gerrard is still way off that, torres aint even close. and before i get bashed by liverpool fans, neither is rooney or ronaldo. its a silly term anyway for footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Georgi Kinkladze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Larsson. Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

This thread should be retitled your teams "Kevin Hunt"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Francesco Totti for Roma. The post earlier about how no other player had done what Gerrard has for liverpool in regards to keeping his club's status in the league should take a gander

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I know 1 or 2 lads that have John O'Flynn as "God" on the back of their shirts.

Could say he has fallen from grace the last year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Describing a player as God?

I sure hope these people aren't religious, its a slander in any terms.

These are young men with a combination of skills that makes them good at football. Do they deserve obscene amounts of money? Do they deserve the reverence they get?

Loyalty can hardly be attributed to the vast majority of footballers. The tricks we see played out on the back pages of tabloid newspapers in the effort to receive new contracts or attract offers from another suitor. It common to blame the agents but its naive to think that players are unaware and unwilling elements of this situation.

Sportsmanship is almost completely eliminated from top level soccer. Its win at all costs, or at least for the price of their win/assist/appearance bonuses.

Its fine to admire their skill but their motives and attitude leave a huge amount to be desired. I cant say there is one professional footballer that i consider worth the title of "God".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Morf wrote: »

These are young men with a combination of skills that makes them good at football. Do they deserve obscene amounts of money? Do they deserve the reverence they get?

Loyalty can hardly be attributed to the vast majority of footballers. The tricks we see played out on the back pages of tabloid newspapers in the effort to receive new contracts or attract offers from another suitor. It common to blame the agents but its naive to think that players are unaware and unwilling elements of this situation.

Sportsmanship is almost completely eliminated from top level soccer. Its win at all costs, or at least for the price of their win/assist/appearance bonuses.

Its fine to admire their skill but their motives and attitude leave a huge amount to be desired. I cant say there is one professional footballer that i consider worth the title of "God".

:eek:

Every fan has a player thats in their opinion is a fan of their team therefore with performances beyond their abilities whilst playing for their club become elevated to god status.

Would bet that every fan of any club anywhere worships their god on the pitch more so then the made up one in the bible.

I have had a few but one now playing for "them" the other was mentioned above as a villa player another our manager, other runs a pub in galway, but..... Charlie forever a legend in Inchicore.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

KdjaCL wrote: »
    :eek:

but..... Charlie forever a legend in Inchicore.

kdjac

So true!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ?!?!?

Ah yes, but there is "Le God".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

:eek: :eek: :eek: oh deary me. how long are u a liverpool fan? wat would happen if he left in the summer which he nearly did before? at least fowler is still held in high reguard. gerrard is still way off that, torres aint even close. and before i get bashed by liverpool fans, neither is rooney or ronaldo. its a silly term anyway for footballers.

Going on 14 years now. Fowler is a "GOD". I was talking about our current crop...Gerrard in the current set up is GOD.. He didn't leave that was a mis understanding and a board co**-up...He is God material for me neways..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Definitely Cantona for United, but as pointed out, he's referred to as The King instead amongst United fans.

Ive taken a lot of stick for the Anderson is God thing, which is a bit silly. I mean, I know that he's not the best player at our club - not even in the top 5. The reason I say it is just because I like him a lot, and Ive never taken to a new signing so quickly. That, and the fact that is corresponds with the AIG logo on our shirts just show that while I have high hopes for him (I put down a €20 in the summer that he would win World Player of the Year within 5 years), its all really just a bit of fun and some people need to lighten up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

So true!:D

He really didn't think that through, did he! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

bohsman wrote: »
    This thread should be retitled your teams "Kevin Hunt"

I can't wait until the inevitible happens and the hooped midget gives him the P45.

Then its back to ususal in D7 as the Bozo do what they do best - abuse and threaten their own manager.

Too many legends at Rovers to even begin lising. Seeing as all the posts so far are about players within the last ten years, has to be Tony Cousins and Tony O'Dowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Morf wrote: »

:rolleyes:
    BLASPHEMY!
    BLASPHEMY!
    BLASPHEMY!
    BLASPHEMY!
    BLASPHEMY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Arsenal's God = Arsene Wenger

Thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Zola.

we're not worthy

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I think the funniest thing in this thread by far is Achemeides, "Definatley Cantona" and then has ANDERSON IS GOD in his siggy, hahaha! But mate i totally agree with you, its pisses me off when people say "What? Hes only 19 and hasnt scored blah blah blah" its a bit of craic because we love our wonderkid and the effort he puts in, his hair is really cool aswell.

AIG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

At the moment for us its probably Seamus Coleman , cant put a foot wrong in my book :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

gary mabbutt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Defo Cantona for United

Eric was King not god because...
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Arsenal's God = Arsene Wenger

i agree and in the same light Man utds god = fergie

so thats wer im comin from: fergie = god and eric = king (oh ok eric can be jesus!! :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Similarily with my clubs fans (Villa) Paul McGrath is reffered to as "God" and that isnt just the Irish Villa fans. He is easily the most Revered former player at Villa Park and would win any favourite former player poll.

What about Andy Gray? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

What about the mighty Shaun Goater. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

growler wrote: »
    Zola.

we're not worthy

:)

Amen to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

It's gotta be the mighty Keano for Man U...
    No one in the current squad comes near him
    (except Giggs on a good day)
    ...and then my other team, VfB Stuttgart- Klinsmann was back in the day, and then Timo Hildebrand, but I'd say if Gomez stays in the summer, he'll come close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Goater doesn't even qualify as good let alone god

Don't you be embarrassed. He IS a God.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Goater doesn't even qualify as good let alone god

Not good? For a guy who was deemed a lower league player he banged in his fair share of Premiership goals, most of them important. Just ask Gary Neville if he's any use as a finisher. Definitely a God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i think the only players that are truely known as god is fowler at liverpool and larsson at celtic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

redzerdrog wrote: »
    i think the only players that are truely known as god is fowler at liverpool and larsson at celtic

and Paul McGrath at the Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It's gotta be the mighty Keano for Man U...

Nope Cantona for definite

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Dirk Kuyt :pac:

Neither hold a candle to Shearer at Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

And Hunt at Bohs http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/deantaaffe/DSCF0019.jpg

Zidane is a God tbh.

As is that little Spanish fella who plays in midfield for Barca. You know, the one who wears number 6 and never gives the ball away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement