Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you buy?

Options
  • 16-03-2008 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

A statement was made on another thread which I would agree with on the basis of investment purposes.

The statement was that no-body should buy a house in Ireland for the next 12-18 months.

However can anyone please name a place in the current Global property market where you would buy a house and expect it to go up in value, in the next 12-18 months?

If so please give reasons why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

didn't see the thread but just curious as to why no-one should buy here for the next 12-18 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'd buy in Poland, Czech Rep or Romania as their economies are booming as they are playing catch up plus they have real industry that manufactures things that are still in demand even if a US recession strikes.
    Dors1976 wrote: »
    didn't see the thread but just curious as to why no-one should buy here for the next 12-18 months?

Overpriced and falling prices namely a bubble, read all the other threads on this topic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Zambia232 wrote: »
    A statement was made on another thread which I would agree with on the basis of investment purposes.

The statement was that no-body should buy a house in Ireland for the next 12-18 months.

However can anyone please name a place in the current Global property market where you would buy a house and expect it to go up in value, in the next 12-18 months?

I'd buy in Ireland, but to be honest they would have to slash current prices by half for me to consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

gurramok wrote: »
    I'd buy in Poland, Czech Rep or Romania as their economies are booming as they are playing catch up plus they have real industry that manufactures things that are still in demand even if a US recession strikes.

Overpriced and falling prices namely a bubble, read all the other threads on this topic.

none of those economies are booming , there just growing at a resonable pace , nothing like ours did in the nineties , besides the populations in those countries are shrinking not growing

the place to buy property right now is in the uk but its not bricks and mortar i would buy
    its farmland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Would you not consider investing in a domestic business instead, rather than continually pinning money on property? There are a lot of new companies out there that could use an influx of capital, and you have one hell of a lot more control over a local investment than over foreign property. Any business can pull in more in profit than property can if its run halfway decently, and you'd be contributing to the local economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

China/India

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Zambia232 wrote: »

I think the question that should be asked is where gives good rental yields? What market has properties that are good value to the investor. Avoid "guaranteed rental" deals though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hmm all good answers (By the way have no intention of investing anywhere at present)

Heres the thing China/India I like the Idea of but without good local legal advice you could end up simply losing your investment. I have heard some good returns there.

I also agree east european countries economy's are rising. A lot of Irish have already brought in Bulgaria, Estonia etc .

Advertisement