Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Want a fuel efficient car? Forget the Prius, buy a 520d instead!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

JHMEG wrote: »
    Realistically I'd say that 520 does no more than 30mpg, big heavy yoke that it is, with an underpowered engine.
    Now that IS a junk statement, to use your own words.

My 01 E200 Kompressor (2.0), did 35 mpg on a run, and averaged 28mpg on the school run (3 miles). Oh, it was automatic too. And petrol.

So the 520d could probably run on 2 cylinders and still top 30mpg.

Really, give the batteries a rest...........no amount of mpg saved justifies the mining of rare-earth materials.........have you seen how much C02 a mining dumper emits??

On a steady throttle at 120km/h, my 911 did 41mpg. Does that count?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Just read this article this morning:

http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/03/17/audi-a4-20-tdi-906-miles-from-paris-to-madrid-on-single-tank/

Paris to Madrid on one tank. Thats 1450km!

And in other green news today ....

BMW 118D wins world green car of the year 2008

http://www.wcoty.com/media/?release=39&year=2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

galwaytt wrote: »
    Now that IS a junk statement, to use your own words.
    Absolutely, and I'm surprised you fell for it!:p

As for the batteries. Nickel's #1 use is in alloys (50% of all nickel), #2 use is in coinage. Campaigning against those would be far more useful if you want to limit nickel mining.

unkel wrote: »
    LOL right!
    Proof.

RedorDead wrote: »
    BMW 118D wins world green car of the year 2008
    Depends on who you ask.

Others say Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The BMW 118d won the "World Green Car" for 2008
    http://www.wcoty.com/vehicles/?year=2008&cat=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The prius comes with the right to look down your nose at all the "lesser" polluting masses, uneducated planet destroying fools that they are. :D:rolleyes: I'm sure a dose of pretentiousnesses is an option on the Prius?! I don't dislike prius's as a machine, and I admire the concept of a Hybrid. But people buying them and thinking they are saving the planet are plain deluded, the CO2 from the mining of the materials of the batterys and shipping it from Japan are huge. Plus the added environmental issue of battery disposal at 60,000 miles I believe? In fairness to BMW fair play for making what is an executive saloon so efficient.

kbannon wrote: »
    The BMW 118d won the "World Green Car" for 2008
    http://www.wcoty.com/vehicles/?year=2008&cat=4
    To clear the confusion the Chevy is "2008 Green Car of the Year"

Actually I don't think that helped!

astraboy wrote: »
    Plus the added environmental issue of battery disposal at 60,000 miles I believe?.
    No, you're missing a 0. It should be 600,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

No, you're missing a 0. It should be 600,000.

Come on. How many people keep a car beyond 150k?

Very few cars die because of irreperable mechanical failure. Most Priuses will probably have closer to 60k than 600k on the clock when the are being scrapped!

• Advertisement

I was being a bit tongue in cheek. There are plenty of myths going around this forum about hybrids, so I felt like inventing some myself.

Truth is the oldest Priuses are around 11 years now, and still on original batteries. When eventually it comes to scrapping Priuses, Toyota have systems in place worldwide for battery recovery and will actually pay $200 for them. They will then recycle them.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek. There are plenty of myths going around this forum about hybrids, so I felt like inventing some myself.

Truth is the oldest Priuses are around 11 years now, and still on original batteries. When eventually it comes to scrapping Priuses, Toyota have systems in place worldwide for battery recovery and will actually pay $200 for them. They will then recycle them.

Fair enough, at least they have thought of the issue. TBH the prius is not really the kind of car I'd be into so I'm not sure of the figures, but I heard figures of 60K miles and the batterys require replacing.

astraboy wrote: »
    Plus the added environmental issue of battery disposal at 60,000 miles I believe?
    There is no set period at which the batteries must be replaced.
    As of a year ago, Toyota Ireland had not replaced the batteries in any Prius.

kbannon wrote: »
    There is no set period at which the batteries must be replaced.
    As of a year ago, Toyota Ireland had not replaced the batteries in any Prius.

Cool, I just reckon if people are going to hearld the prius as the car that saves the environment they look at the bigger picture, ie its manufacture, shipping and eventual disposal instead of its good fuel efficiency.

Incidentally, it costed (a year ago) €6,210 (ex VAT?) plus two hours labour to replace the batteres.

Advertisement