Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grand Slam Sunday

1789101113»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Draw
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    i knew it was coming as well.

just cause i knew it was coming, and your mate knew it was coming, and rafa knew it was coming, doesnt mean bennett was right to send of a player for speaking to him and asking him why-when the player was clearly not cursing and not being aggressive.

i knew it because Bennett is incompetent. and got a bollicking off his boss the week before for not booking players for back chat, therefore, went into this game to prove a point.

that makes wat mascherano did foolish.

but it does NOT make Bennett correct.

FFS, that's such a cop out. ****ing stand up and say he was a tool for continually talking to the ref after getting warnings about it.

He or anyone else has no one to blame but himself. Stop trying to pussy out and blame bennet. Yes he's annoying but anyone that uses him as a scapegoat for yesterday knows very little about playing a game of soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

i knew it was coming as well.

just cause i knew it was coming, and your mate knew it was coming, and rafa knew it was coming, doesnt mean bennett was right to send of a player for speaking to him and asking him why-when the player was clearly not cursing and not being aggressive.

i knew it because Bennett is incompetent. and got a bollicking off his boss the week before for not booking players for back chat, therefore, went into this game to prove a point.

that makes wat mascherano did foolish.

but it does NOT make Bennett correct.

Get over yourself.
    "Clearly not cursing"?? I'm no lip-reading expert, but the mental Argie (sic) was obviously saying "**** Off" to Bennett on more than one occasion.
    Unless you reckon he was merely commenting on the good weather in Spanish.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

and not being aggressive.

He ran 20 yards and burst through two players to get to the ref. Not aggressive???

Draw
    Killme00 wrote: »
    He ran 20 yards and burst through two players to get to the ref. Not aggressive???

he ran about 10 and the incident where he got sent off he wasn't aggressive he got the second yellow for continously talking to the ref after every decision that went against liverpool after he was booked. It wasn't just for that one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

It says something when the only player to score for Liverpool in the Prem under Benitez is John O'Shea. I think Rafa should sign him up quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Im really suprised at the amount of people defending Macherano. IMHO he deserved to be sent off for continual dissent to the referee. Mascheranos captain or manager should have nipped it in the bud early on but they didnt, they let Mascherano mouth off and mouth off.

In the end, it appeared harmless what he got sent off for in that the words he said didnt appear to be agressive. However the manner in which he approached the referee, i.e. breaking away from Alonsos grip was enough to tip the scale for Bennett, he seemed to have decided to send him off before Mascherano even uttered the words "Whats happening".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Draw
    I didnt see Stevie G rushing in to help the situation :confused: In keeping with the rest of his performance on the day, largely low key.

The body language of a lot of the Liverpool players on the day (even BEFORE the sending off) didnt strike me as a team that were interested in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Draw
    In the end, it appeared harmless what he got sent off for in that the words he said didnt appear to be agressive. However the manner in which he approached the referee, i.e. breaking away from Alonsos grip was enough to tip the scale for Bennett, he seemed to have decided to send him off before Mascherano even uttered the words "Whats happening".

I dont think thats true. When Bennett saw Masch he pointed at the tunnell and gave him a warning. Masch continued to ask the question Bennett said enough is enough your gone.

It ruined the game, and I do believe that Masch deserved to get sent off. The only thing I will say is that with the decision being so close to half time a better ref would have let him stay on till half time. Then at half time he could have a had a word with Benitez and say if he approaches me one more time regarding any decision he will be gone.

Again Bennett wasn't wrong in what he did, but he could have done it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Still sick after that result......ughh!!!

Mascherano deserved to go, the only thing now is will we get the consistency with refs in the future. If it was a different ref in charge would he have sent him off?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

-My views on the Utd fans, i cant put here.
    -ferguson-how much of a ****ing hypocrite are you? protection for Ronaldo? Yea, i'm sure your ****ing excellent centre halves, and anyone who got near him were not under order not to kick the ****e out of him. i dont mind it, its a mans game, but stop your ****ing crying when anyone dares go near your beloved little Ronaldo.

anyway, ****e weekend.

First off whats your problem with the Man U fans, The game was at OT, I'm 100% certain had this off been in Anfield the abuse would have been every bit as bad if not worse. Remember it was pool fans who destroyed and broke up seats and rubbed **** all over the toilets at OT during your semi final with Chelsea a couple of years back.

With regards to torres getting the ****e kicked out of him. Cop the hell on. He was a lone striker getting no service from his teammates in a game in which they were been totally outclassed in. He took his fair share of knocks but no more that any other strikers that Man U come up against home or away. To be honest only for Bennett bottled it, Torres should have been sent off for his challenge on Vidic in the second half.

Yes he is a world class striker, but he still has a lot to learn about the premiership. I remember Arsenal having very similar complaints a couple of years ago, when Reyes came up against Gary Neville. That was also his first season in the premiership. My point is, yes he took a few knocks, he also gave out a few, but mark my word, he wont allow himself be treated like that again.

Finally, just because Gary Neville grew up hating Liverpool, how does that make his so different to you. You hate Man Utd more than you love Liverpool, if that makes any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Draw
    I think its time for the ignore option to be played...he's talking poo imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

-The Liverpool fans were excellent and the Torres tune (complete wit bouncing) sounded animal.
    -My views on the Utd fans, i cant put here.

Were you at the match Alan?

The liverpool fans were again horrendous. The worst away support consistently at OT. Singing and jumping up and down to a robbed song for 10-15 minutes does not constitute excellent fans. How many times did the united fans mockingly ssshhhh the scouse fans? I lost count! Woeful support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think it's funny when someone complains about a set of "fans", when 90% of a clubs fans are the same as any other, white middle age, working to middle class. There is very little to differentiate, for example, Manchester and Liverpool as cities which would lead to the fans being particularly different (unlike say a club which predominately came from a rough area of London, or Paris). It's like some sort of weird, doesn't really count for anything, religious war, but without any ideology to back it up (cult of rafa aside).

Even worse, when that fan comes from another country, yet somehow tries to identify themselves as being scouse, geordie or mancunian, when they're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Chelsea
    Uniteds midfield won the league last year, with just Carrick and Scholes. This year we added Hargreaves and Anderson. We are on course to win the league. Maybe Liverpools midfield isn't all its cracked up to be?

Also, sorry, about Torres and Rooney. Torres is a better finisher, that much is clear. But to suggest he has as much to his overall game is just silly.

Draw
    PHB wrote: »
    Also, sorry, about Torres and Rooney. Torres is a better finisher, that much is clear. But to suggest he has as much to his overall game is just silly.

Maybe, maybe not. Torres can create alot from nothing and is by far a better finisher.

The only thing that can be said is that the two of them combined would be out of this world. Thats where United slipped up...should have gone all out to get him instead of Hargreaves and Anderson

Chelsea
    Oh god no I don't agree. He doesn't offer a huge amount different from what we have.
    I meant in terms of general play, like link up play, streching defences, desire.
    I think Torres is a better striker but Rooney a better forward if you get my drift.

Just saw MOTD2 there, and the reason given for Mascherano was persistant dissent as suspected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Don't know what the complaints about the red card are for. He could and should have been sent off for mouthing off(including foul and abusive language) after the first card.

There are 3 other instances where the ref actually favoured the pool. Carraghers tackle on Rooney early on should have been a peno and a red card, Rooney actually helped him by not going to ground. Torres and Aurelio(I stand corrected on this one) could have both received second yellows if he had been overly strict)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

United
    RedorDead wrote: »
    The liverpool fans were again horrendous. The worst away support consistently at OT. Singing and jumping up and down to a robbed song for 10-15 minutes does not constitute excellent fans. How many times did the united fans mockingly ssshhhh the scouse fans? I lost count! Woeful support.

ha ha ha, i can only presume this is a fishing trip.....if the home fans at OT are very vocal, there would be no way the away lads would be heard, but during pretty much the whole game they were. despite being outnumbered so so so so so vastly. i wasnt there unfortunately, but from all accounts Liverpool fans did well. forcing Utds the boys to resort to the usual cheap shots, and not rising to the bait.
    astrofool wrote: »
    There is very little to differentiate, for example, Manchester and Liverpool as cities

are you for real? they are like chalk and cheese.

Chelsea
    p.s. Another great thing I saw in teh Chelsea Arsenal game was Eboue getting booked for not being 10 yards away. I'd like this rule to be enforced more aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I like all the United fans on here giving out about Masch cursing at the ref yet seem to have missed Rooney doing it a few times. Masch deserved to go, no question about that but just dont be thinking that all your own players are little angels.

• Advertisement

Draw
    Melion wrote: »
    but just dont be thinking that all your own players are little angels.

okay we wont
    Oh god no I don't agree. He doesn't offer a huge amount different from what we have.

You cant be serious! He's clinical, he drops the shoulder and he's gone. Lightening quick. Best striker in the premiership or will be in time.

We dont have that...surely you can say that.

United + Torres = unstoppable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

p.s. Another great thing I saw in teh Chelsea Arsenal game was Eboue getting booked for not being 10 yards away. I'd like this rule to be enforced more aswell.

Don't be silly ! Makelele would be off every game !!
    Interesting point on this game is the ref's position for the second Chelsea goal, i.e. the onside one. He looks as if he's got his arm out about to tell Belletti to go back and take the free from the correct position, (Belletti had tossed it forwards) when Belletti just hits it. 2 seconds later - goal !
    This is the one rule I would like see enforced, and the linesmen could help, maybe.
    Not as obvious as the legendary 15 metre gain by Gary McAllister a few years back, though, that got them (Liverpool) into the Champions League (v Everton), and at Everton's expense as well.
    The things about rules are that they
    a) need consistency, and
    b) need to be applied (i.e. pulling and dragging for frees and corners)
    As a gambler I go nuts when things like this cost me (i.e. every week !!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jacool wrote: »
    As a gambler I go nuts when things like this cost me (i.e. every week !!!!)
    Maybe you should give up the gambling.....at least until it's sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

are you for real? they are like chalk and cheese.

I'm sure they are in your mind, but really, in the grand scheme of things, they're both just another english city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

United
    well for **** sake wat a stupid thing to say.

in the grand scheme of things we are all just humans man. why cant we all just get along. blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Draw
    astrofool wrote: »
    I think it's funny when someone complains about a set of "fans", when 90% of a clubs fans are the same as any other, white middle age, working to middle class. There is very little to differentiate, for example, Manchester and Liverpool as cities which would lead to the fans being particularly different (unlike say a club which predominately came from a rough area of London, or Paris). It's like some sort of weird, doesn't really count for anything, religious war, but without any ideology to back it up (cult of rafa aside).

Even worse, when that fan comes from another country, yet somehow tries to identify themselves as being scouse, geordie or mancunian, when they're not.

I agree with a lot of this. But hey, people like to feel part of something - and more power to them for it. Fills in the gaps.

Draw
    well for **** sake wat a stupid thing to say.

in the grand scheme of things we are all just humans man. why cant we all just get along. blah.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

ha ha ha, i can only presume this is a fishing trip.....if the home fans at OT are very vocal, there would be no way the away lads would be heard, but during pretty much the whole game they were. despite being outnumbered so so so so so vastly. i wasnt there unfortunately, but from all accounts Liverpool fans did well. forcing Utds the boys to resort to the usual cheap shots, and not rising to the bait.

Im being 100% honest. I may be a lot of things but a troll i am not.

The only decent spell the pool fans had was for that 10-15 minute second half spell. Other than that and the end they couldnt be heard. They tried a half hearted you'll never walk alone right at the end which was drowned out by the united fans rendition of that. :D

What are the usual cheap shots by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Draw
    Gotta love the people who waited until after the matches to vote :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Chelsea
    just posted this in the liverpool thread, what really happened on Sunday!!

very NSFW

http://i30.tinypic.com/294lzys.gif

:D

Advertisement