Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grand Slam Sunday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Chelsea
    I am a liverpool fan but know that its gonna be

man utd 1 - 0 liverpool

With ronaldo either scoring in the 1st 20 mins or last 10 mins. Same s**t - different team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Arsenal
    emc2 wrote: »
    Yea Zabbo has backed every possible result so he's on a winner for sure!

Though for each correct one, he'll be wrong twice, so you could say he'll be the biggest loser ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

United
    voted with the heart

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Chelsea
    Liverpool y Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Draw
    Liverpool are in great form and I think they are playing that well that they can go to OT and get result.

Chelsea always beat Arsenal so think trend will continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Draw
    ditpoker wrote: »
    when will liverpool realise hyppia was past it three or four years ago. yes, he's good. but you will not win a league with him.

Well bra ****ing vo to the genius here... Wes Brown, John O'Shea, Philip Senderos and go knows who aren't good enough to win the league but then again, they aren't first choice players either.

Hypia has been played this season through necessity. He is our 4th choice centre back at the moment but due to injuries, he is being played. Currently, Carragher is playing at right back due to injuries ffs.

I asked this question recently of both an Arsenal and United supports - who would you prefer as a backup, Hypia, Senderos, O'Shea or Brown. Both said Hypia.

Hypia is doing a job for us. If Rafa had his way, Agger and Carragher would be in the middle with Skrtel pushing for a place.
    reina, carragher, mascherano, gerrard, torres are the only players with the ability to win a league at liverpool. united have vds, vidic, ferdinand, evra, hargreaves, carrick, tevez, ronaldo, rooney, giggs, scholes... the players i've listed above are players that any team wanting to win the league would actively try and buy... and at the end of the day united have more of them, thats why they're better than liverpool, and why united will continue their march to another title this weekend, and liverpool will happily take 4th.

Fair point but you may exclude Scholes and Giggs from that list as they are both well past their best and are literally at the end of their careers. I also find it hilarious that you have Carrick in there and not Alonso. Hargreaves is also stretching things too.

Draw
    whenever i watch liverpool he's playing, whether pool have 2 cb's injured is a nothing point, hyppia plays... he's past it... if 2 cb's are injured, bring in a better one..

It's a nothing point? You are taking the piss, aren't you? Please tell me you are taking the piss!! Another one was taken in, then our right backs got injured!!

no smugness, i'm not a united fan, i dont even much like united.
    vds: incredibly consistent international goalkeeper with more experience than pretty much everyone and has done it at the highest level for years... proven winner.
    vidic: generally accepted as a great buy, one of ferguson's best, scores goals and is a bit of a beast. One of the best in the premiership by far.
    ferdinand: people pay big money for him cos he's a big player. i dont like him but can see he's one of the best.
    evra: best left back in the premiership, a quality buy, has done it for france and at club level. bags of experience too, has won leagues and will probably win alot more.
    hargreaves: played centre mid for german champions consistantly for years. got into england squad on merit, and in his own words is "actually quite good at football, whether the british press like [him] or not"
    carrick: ferguson said he was brought in to win the league, done and done. 18m well spent. one of the most underated players in the premiership in my opinion. ooozes class.
    tevez: single handedly kept west ham up, has been a game winner for united on number of occasions, has done well for argentina for a few years and was a hero when playing in argentina.
    ronaldo: we all know he's class.
    rooney: we all know he;s class.
    scholes: again, we all know he's class.
    giggs: are you really going to tell me ryan giggs is not good enough to win leagues... you do know who giggs is right!?

there, covered everyone i mentioned... liverpool still are not as good as united. therefore, in my opinion, united will win

VDS - a great keeper but will need to be replaced extremely soon
    Vidic - great player - wish Liverpool signed him.
    Ferdinand - great player
    Evra - great player
    Hargreaves - good player but stupidly over rated. Has done nothing of note since joining due to injury and lack of matches.
    Carrick - good player but not good enough in the long term. no doubt that he will be replaced with a better version soon enough.
    Tevez - great player
    Rooney - great player
    Scholes - once a great player but has done very little this season and will play less and less a part at United.
    Giggs - see Scholes.

Draw
    The funny thing here is that most Liverpool fans are saying that if we play at the top of our game, football being football, we can defo get a result. They are not making claims that they are a better team, nor are they dismissing Man United as being **** or anything of like it.

I attempted to post a balanced enough comparison of the two sets of 11 that I think will run out on Sunday. That was done in reaction to a post that seemed to completely dismiss Liverpool and that claims were a far superior team. The comparison was meant to highlight the fact that the outfield 10 that run out on Sunday for Liverpool are not as far off that of United's as you would think.

Most of the points made have been made in a resonable enough fashion by them. There is seems to be 2 or 3 slightly over excited fans of other clubs or United getting slightly ahread of themselves by completely dismissing Liverpool's chances.
    when will liverpool realise hyppia was past it three or four years ago. yes, he's good. but you will not win a league with him.
    whenever i watch liverpool he's playing, whether pool have 2 cb's injured is a nothing point, hyppia plays... he's past it... if 2 cb's are injured, bring in a better one..

These sort of posts are the soft of **** I am talking about. People who make stupid points and then continue to back that point up even though an obvious flaw in their argument has been pointed out should just be prevented from posting in threads like this.

There is more than enough emotion in this thread already and we don't points like this stoking the flames.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Arsenal
    Why is everybody persistantly leaving Anderson out of these player comparisons? He is clearly better than both Carrick and Hargreaves...

Draw
    Agreed actually. Forgot him completely. Where do you see him playing in the long term by the way? Is he is a replacement for Scholes or is Rooney gonna play deeper maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Draw
    Man Utd vs Liverpool - I fancy United but I think it will be a close match. Maybe 2-1. I think it was a smart move by Fergie to rest Rio as he had Torres in his pocket earlier in the season and will do the same again in my opinion.

I believe United's key man will be Wayne Rooney. He will be up for this match big time and I reckon he will play a key role in putting Liverpool to the sword.

Chelsea vs Arsenal - This has draw written all over. I see both sides getting a point which will probably therefore rule Chelsea out of the title race (assuming Utd win which is far from certain).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Draw
    =

VDS - a great keeper but will need to be replaced extremely soon
    Vidic - great player - wish Liverpool signed him.
    Ferdinand - great player
    Evra - great player
    Hargreaves - good player but stupidly over rated. Has done nothing of note since joining due to injury and lack of matches.
    Carrick - good player but not good enough in the long term. no doubt that he will be replaced with a better version soon enough.
    Tevez - great player
    Rooney - great player
    Scholes - once a great player but has done very little this season and will play less and less a part at United.
    Giggs - see Scholes.

I think that's an excellent assessment and one I would very much agree with.

None of this "player x is absolute crap and player y from this team destroys him" etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Draw
    United to win, Chelsea-Arsenal draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Draw
    Went for Man Yoo & Chelsea wins.

Hoping for Liverpool win, draw in the other game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Chelsea
    I don't think one should lump Scholes in with Giggs. Giggs is just shocking, Scholes still has a lot to offer.

Draw
    I would say he's been superceded by Anderson at this stage. He hasn't been the same since his lay-off with the blurred vision, if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

United
    whats up with this anderson rubbish.I saw the vids on youtube when he was signed because all my mates support utd and were making me watch their new superstar.I didnt thiink he looked all that good in the vid and this season imo he has been ok,nothing to write home about.

I wouldnt swap lucas for anderson,if we put it like that.
    I thought he was an attaking mifielder?he runs around trying to do thousands of jobs and takes on too much,he is a fighter of a player but I have yet to see any class that deserved the merit utd fans are giving him.
    AIG-anderson is god is the most upsurd thing ive ever heard,how many goals has he scored?a replacement for scholes who will never be able to fill the shoes once held by a great player but sadly he is a bit old now.

a new one AIO-anderson is overated!

Draw
    From what I've seen of Anderson, he's been very impressive. He's not a showy, flair player. He does the simple things, and he does them very effectively. He keeps the ball moving forward when his team have the ball, and he breaks down attacks when they dont. He's tireless, and he'll run all day.

For a 19 year old in his first season in a new league at a higher level than he's ever played, alongside a team of superstars, he doesn't look out of place one bit.

Lucas is showing similar signs, but Anderson has been more consistant, I would say. For my money, Lucas and Anderson will be the basis of the Brazil midfield in the coming years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Man Utd vs Liverpool -I think it was a smart move by Fergie to rest Rio as he had Torres in his pocket earlier in the season and will do the same again in my opinion.

That'll be handy for Gerrard then.. won't it..?

Chelsea
    I think Anderson has done better than Lucas so far, but I do think Lucas is a cracking player, great potential. Still, judging a player from youtube is just silly.

As for Scholes, well I don't think its the blurred vision, because last year he was our 2nd best player after Ronaldo. This year he hasn't been the same, I accept that, but I still think he has much more to offer. He's only coming back from injury now.

Giggs imo just can't start games anymore, he's too old, gets really tired in the 2nd half. Gives the ball away constantly, which he always did, was always a frustrating player, but in the 2nd half, nothing comes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Draw
    Unearthly wrote: »
    I think that's an excellent assessment and one I would very much agree with.

None of this "player x is absolute crap and player y from this team destroys him" etc

Agree completely. In general I agree with the notion that Utd are stronger on the flanks with the likes of Ronaldo and Evra. One area where Liverpool have a big advantage is in goals. Reina is the best keeper in the league and better than Cech is now. VDS was good but I think he's looked dodgy a few times this season. Utd should promote Foster or buy a top class replacement in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Draw
    Waster wrote: »
    Agree completely. In general I agree with the notion that Utd are stronger on the flanks with the likes of Ronaldo and Evra. One area where Liverpool have a big advantage is in goals. Reina is the best keeper in the league and a lot better than Cech is now. VDS was good but I think he's looked dodgy a few times this season. Utd should promote Foster or buy a top class replacement in my view.

Nothing wrong with Van Der Sar. Still an amazing goalie. Hope he plays on Sunday - Liverpool have never scored against him in the league since he joined us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Draw
    PHB wrote: »
    Giggs imo just can't start games anymore, he's too old, gets really tired in the 2nd half. Gives the ball away constantly, which he always did, was always a frustrating player, but in the 2nd half, nothing comes off.

yes you are correct. however, if giggs starts the next day, which he will unless his recent injury is not playing up again, i predict that he will be either MOM or score the winning goal. i think giggs and scholes will both start the next day.

also, to say reina is the best keeper in the league is absurd and to ignore van der sars form this year is silly. he was on team of the year last year and imo, its his spot again this year. we have the bests defence in the league and he plays a big part in it. i would rate czech, vds and given as the top 3 keepers in the league. reina is a good keeper, however he is not a world beater as some suggest on ere. another case of liverpool fans over rating their own players.

United
    yes you are correct. however, if giggs starts the next day, which he will unless his recent injury is not playing up again, i predict that he will be either MOM or score the winning goal. i think giggs and scholes will both start the next day.

also, to say reina is the best keeper in the league is absurd and to ignore van der sars form this year is silly. he was on team of the year last year and imo, its his spot again this year. we have the bests defence in the league and he plays a big part in it. i would rate czech, vds and given as the top 3 keepers in the league. reina is a good keeper, however he is not a world beater as some suggest on ere. another case of liverpool fans over rating their own players.

check out who has the most premierhsip golden gloves,whatever about cech,reina is a much better keeper than van der sar

Draw
    I'm not saying Van Der Saar is rubbish, he's clearly not. I'm not the type of fan who thinks all of our players are great and all of Utd's aren't. I think that the Utd first 11 is stronger on paper than Liverpool's and so it should be given the cash involved. But I do think that Van Der Saar is on the slide and isn't in the top bracket of keepers alongside Cech, Casillas, Reina and Buffon, if he ever was. I think that Utd could and should do better. Juve recognised this after he spent 2 years with them. They saw that he was good but wasn't top drawer so they traded him in for the superior Buffon in 2001. Surprised Fergie hasn't done the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I dont buy into the Reina hype. I think hes a great keeper and the fact that he is so young is fantastic as he will most likely develop into one of the best around as keepers get better as they get older. A lot of Liverpool fans claim he is the best in the league and in the top 3 or 4 in the world. Im not so sure.

His distirbution is second to none. He is also a great sweeper and can sniff out danger. Some of the runs out of the box he does look crazy but they work the majority of the time. On his day he is a great shot stopper too. However, sometimes we conceed goals and I think he could have done better for that.... Great keeper though and up there with VDS, Cech, James, Given & Fridel as the best in the league.

Fridel often gets overlooked but I think he has been consistently one of the best in the league for quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Chelsea
    Grrrrrr, Fox Soccer Channel are screening the game least likely to contain goals and sendings off. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

So two Golden Gloves in three years (an award not given out by Liverpool fans incase you were wondering!)!
    Equalling the Liverpool record of 11 clean sheets in a row (or was it 10, not sure)!
    Equalling the Premiership record for clean sheets in a season!
    And holding the record in the premiership for snuffing out chances before they happen!!!

Yeah, so over-rated by just Liverpool supporters.

VDS is great, but he's not world class, and never was (unfortunately unlike most of the rest of Utd's first team!:p)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Arsenal
    Agreed actually. Forgot him completely. Where do you see him playing in the long term by the way? Is he is a replacement for Scholes or is Rooney gonna play deeper maybe?
    It really is hard to say JTG, he looks like he has the potential to have it all. He tracks back well and is an excellent tackler, his range of passing and vision is second to none. He's composed on the ball and he makes good bursts forward with the ball. I don't think Ferguson even knows where to put him, I think he just puts him out there and lets him get on with it...

Dont think Rooney will ever be a replacement for Scholes though, he's too forward thinking and defensively he doesn't really know what to do half the time. See the attack that lead to Portsmouth's penalty for the prime example of this...

What is Lucas like for Liverpool? Being honest I haven't really seen alot of him, and what I have seen I wasn't really that impressed being honest. But seemingly he is meant to be a big prospect... Are the Liverpool fans expecting big things from him??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    It really is hard to say JTG, he looks like he has the potential to have it all. He tracks back well and is an excellent tackler, his range of passing and vision is second to none. He's composed on the ball and he makes good bursts forward with the ball. I don't think Ferguson even knows where to put him, I think he just puts him out there and lets him get on with it...

Dont think Rooney will ever be a replacement for Scholes though, he's too forward thinking and defensively he doesn't really know what to do half the time. See the attack that lead to Portsmouth's penalty for the prime example of this...

What is Lucas like for Liverpool? Being honest I haven't really seen alot of him, and what I have seen I wasn't really that impressed being honest. But seemingly he is meant to be a big prospect... Are the Liverpool fans expecting big things from him??

Before he came he was touted as a box to box style player, similar to Gerrard. He has spent most of the time playing as a holding midfielder though. Scored a lovely goal in the fa cup as well.

As with Anderson, its hard to say what he will develop into. He definitely has talent. He has good technique, can pick out same fantastic passes, has a good shot and can tackle. He has struggled with the pace of the league and tends to get tired in the second half of games. He hasnt set the world alight but he is definitely a good prospect.

Also worth remembering that he was only 6m. 1/3 of what Anderson cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Anderson, and Lucas are the futeure of Brasils midfield.

I'm sure you know all about Anderson.
    As for Lucas, he's the youngest ever winner of the Bola De Ouro (Brasilians League player of the year).

Previously won by the likes of Kaka, Robinhio, Romario etc.

He's known in South america as the Brazilian Gerrard, so I expect him to be much more attacking in a few years.
    So far with us, he's been played more deffensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Tusky wrote: »
    Before he came he was touted as a box to box style player, similar to Gerrard. He has spent most of the time playing as a holding midfielder though. Scored a lovely goal in the fa cup as well.

As with Anderson, its hard to say what he will develop into. He definitely has talent. He has good technique, can pick out same fantastic passes, has a good shot and can tackle. He has struggled with the pace of the league and tends to get tired in the second half of games. He hasnt set the world alight but he is definitely a good prospect.

Also worth remembering that he was only 6m. 1/3 of what Anderson cost.

True but Anderson has been much more effective this season than Lucas has

Chelsea
    But he's had more of a chance to be honest. Scholes got injuried, otherwise I doubt we'd have seen that much of Anderson at all.

Draw
    I've been impressed with Lucas but he did have a few mediocre games to go along with his good displays. I expect that we'll see more of him next year as Momo is gone and he'll have had a year to get used to the team/language/training etc. He could do with some extra weights sessions as he's been muscled off the ball a few times. All in all, a good but unspectacular debut season. Fair enough for a 20 year old just arrived in europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Lucas has been in decent form for Liverpool this season, sometimes very good, sometimes not so good. But he looks to me like he'll be a terrific prospect, and i agree that he and Anderson would make a terrific partnership in the future.

I think Anderson has been more impressive so far, and has had more games. For about a third of the price of Anderson i think he was a steal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Most ridiculous statement i've read in a long time.

Almost choked on my coffee. If you think Andersons passing is second to none, then you need to see some more football..

United
    Lucas has been in decent form for Liverpool this season, sometimes very good, sometimes not so good. But he looks to me like he'll be a terrific prospect, and i agree that he and Anderson would make a terrific partnership in the future.

I think Anderson has been more impressive so far, and has had more games. For about a third of the price of Anderson i think he was a steal.

yeah Lucas is a bit of a dark horse,he is captain of the brazilian under 20 team(or at least he was) and he won the Bola de Ouro (Golden Ball) in 2006

He is the youngest ever player to win the award!

here is a list of the winners in previous years

# 2006 : Lucas (Grêmio)
    # 2005 : Carlos Tévez (Corinthians)
    # 2004 : Robinho (Santos FC)
    # 2003 : Alex (Cruzeiro)
    # 2002 : Kaká (São Paulo FC)
    # 2001 : Alex Mineiro (Atlético Paranaense)
    # 2000 : Romario (Vasco da Gama)

if he turns out anything like tevez,robinho or kaka,we have a bargain,apperantly he single handedly won gremio the championship in 2006!

on a liverpool website they had some gremio fans on,they rated lucas alot more highly than anderson,anderson played for gremio before he went to porto.I think it will be a few years before we get a proper assesment.

Lucas main fault is that he thinks he has alot more time on the ball and is quite often disposesed,Anderson seems to have gotten used to the pace more quickly and realises that you dont get that much time on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Draw
    Anderon has played more that Lucas and so has gotten more used to it. I think that Lucas will get more opportunities next season and that when he gets a run in the team he will show what he can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone else bored witless by SSN hyping of this?

Mike.

Draw
    Unbelievably so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"The Big 4 The top 4" well thank fux Everton did'nt spoil the party! :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Chelsea
    I honestly think this weekend isn't quite so big as people make out.

The only team that this will matter for is Chelsea. If Chelsea lose they're probably out of the race to win it. If they win, they can go 2nd and get into the race proper.

Liverpool can't move up the table, nor can Arsenal or Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭andrew1977

The only team that this will matter for is Chelsea. If Chelsea lose they're probably out of the race to win it. If they win, they can go 2nd and get into the race proper.

Liverpool can't move up the table, nor can Arsenal or Everton.

Well for United i think its a big weekend, If we beat Liverpool its one less huge obstacle out of the way to retaining the premiership. If United win then its feet up and watch the next 2 teams cut each others throats.The loser of the 2nd match will be very close to being out of the title race.
    If United lose then its game on big time for the other 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Draw

oh yes it is, the biggest and most important weekend of the season. how can it get any bigger really? the top 4 teams playing in 2 massive games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Invincible

Chelsea
    It's so big because SSN have it hyped up to be,there'll be shocks in the coming weeks for some of these playing weaker oppisition mtl.

Chelsea
    I think this is an absolutely huge match for United. Beating Liverpool here would be putting one hand on the league title. It's a huge huge match.

Draw
    And losing to them would be a big blow to their chances. Particularly if Arsenal manage to win against Chelsea who are pretty poor atm.

Draw
    PHB wrote: »
    I think this is an absolutely huge match for United. Beating Liverpool here would be putting one hand on the league title. It's a huge huge match.

Completely agree.

Sky overhype things in general but the big 4 playing each other on the same day with 8 games left is a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Draw
    i'll tip a 3-1 win for United.

Fingers crossed for a Chelsea/Arsenal draw and it's then curtains in the title race :)

Whilst Chelsea haven't been playing great, they've managed to grind out wins whilst Arsenal have managed to grind out draws.

Ronaldo to get a hattrick tomorrow ;)

Chelsea
    Happy to see that Ferdinand has trained, if he plays I'd be absolutely amazed if Liverpool scored more than one goal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement