Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grand Slam Sunday

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

United
    we were beaten well and truely in a game of football today, and the red card would not of changed the whole complection, but its definately been fairly spoilt by the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Draw
    Was ananis goal a fluke ? He just took a shot there that went out for a throw ;)

United
    deise59 wrote: »
    T4TF, of course he wont get sent off....he'll get a yellow card

what about if he does it six or 7 times, same for toure and eboue, and well all of chelsea.

Draw
    deise59 wrote: »
    T4TF, of course he wont get sent off....he'll get a yellow card
    I will gladly put money on with you that he won't get a yellow for doing wht he does every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Chelsea
    In other news:
    Arsenal

Almunia
    Sagna
    Gallas
    Touré
    Clichy
    Flamini
    Cesc
    Hleb
    Eboue
    Adebayor
    van Persie

Subs

Walcott Lehmann Bendtner Diaby Senderos

Chelsea

Cudicini
    Terry
    Carvalho
    Cole
    Essien
    Ballack
    Makelele
    Lampard
    Cole
    Drogba
    Kalou

Subs

Anelka Mikel Belleti Alex Hilario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Draw
    I will gladly put money on with you that he won't get a yellow for doing wht he does every week.

No thanks, I lost my money on a 2-0 utd win with Tevez getting the first :o

Draw
    Well fair play to united, regardless of the sending off, United won and were deserving of their victory. mascherano should nto have been sent off and I think there is little that if cashley was not such a twonk during the weekhe would not have been. If the ref did not have some nature of point to prove then it would have been 11 v 11 and the result would probably have been the same. Refs only agenda when getting on the pitch is to uphold the laws of the game and if they have any other (like to show those overpaid prima donnas who is really boss at these games) then they should not be reffing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Draw
    I think the crowd said it best:

THAT'S WHY WE'RE CHAMPIONS, THAT'S WHY WE'RE CHAMPIONS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Draw
    Words cannot express how happy I am , beating the pool and being top of the table is an absolute joy.

Goal from Ronnie again, no one can stop him scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Draw
    Anderson played bad.... losing the ball all the time... Nani came on and played well. Great Goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

mayordenis wrote: »
    we were beaten well and truely in a game of football today, and the red card would not of changed the whole complection, but its definately been fairly spoilt by the ref.
    Yep. Liverpool simply don't have the quality that United have. Too many average players in the Liverpool team. Kuyt's inclusion in particular is criminal, Crouch offers much more but yet is permanently benched. Also unbelievable that some Liverpool supporters rate Babel over Ronaldo. Maybe he will eventually come good, but at the moment he's not good enough to compete against the top three.

For me, the big winner today was Fergie. Tactically, he hammered Benitez today. Not bad for an auld fella.

Draw
    Agreed, making sure that the ref sent off Mascherano was a tactical masterstroke. ;)

Draw
    Seeing Rafa there split screen with Masch and the red card incident, Rafa was not happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Draw
    Well there we go. Proof if it was ever needed that United are a far superior team to Liverpool. I must say I was baffled at all the Liverpool confidence before the game - more people had them chosen as winners on the poll. Sure, good run of form considering youre earlier exploits this season but not a good enough run of form to beat United. Torres went missing again. Ronaldo scores - again. But sure he's not a big game player so I dont know why Im talking about him :rolleyes:

And those saying Mascherano shouldnt get sent off - youre having a laugh. Yellow card for a silly tackle - gave away 2 frees after that and then goes shouting at the ref like a lunatic. Should know better, even Rafa knew he was going to be sent off. Deserves what he got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

NeVeR wrote: »
    Anderson played bad.... losing the ball all the time... Nani came on and played well. Great Goal.

Anderson played bad/????:eek:
    Was class in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think the only thing that would have made the result better would have been Gallas to make an appearance in the last 5 minutes, and gone sulking into the stands.

A big crotch in the face of Liverpool today, they were sh*te.

Draw
    Agreed, making sure that the ref sent off Mascherano was a tactical masterstroke. ;)

Bitter much?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Draw
    Ferguson's interview and you can hear the United players in the dressing room singing "VIVA RONALDOOOOOO, VIVA RONALDOOOOOOO, RUNNING DOWN THE WING, HEAR UNITED SING, VIVA RONALDOOOOOOO!" Classic.

Tbh i was getting frustrated and we needed a 2nd, Ronaldo delivers.

Nani is just fantastic, teaching Rooney a lesson in finishing... One Rooney needs to study.

So so happy, what a perfect start to the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Haha, anyone hear Jamie Redknapp giving stink out about Reina? Of course, nothing is said about Steven Gerrards magnificent display.

• Advertisement

United
    Archimedes wrote: »
    then goes shouting at the ref like a lunatic.

please tell me what your talking about thats completely fictitious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Willstev wrote: »
    Seeing Rafa there split screen with Masch and the red card incident, Rafa was not happy.
    He was not happy with Mascherano looking at the split screen. He could see the rec card coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Chelsea
    And those saying Mascherano shouldnt get sent off - youre having a laugh. Yellow card for a silly tackle - gave away 2 frees after that and then goes shouting at the ref like a lunatic. Should know better, even Rafa knew he was going to be sent off. Deserves what he got.

LOL I do wonder sometimes if people here just don't see what happens or just want to troll, I mean someone said earlier that Mascherano ran 40 yards, it was barely 15 and as for the bit in bold above thats just lies, he was smiling and asking the Ref "whats happening".

Seriously if you want to give a biased opinion thats fair enough but don't try and post blatent lies as present them as facts.

Draw
    He was not happy with Mascherano looking at the split screen. He could see the rec card coming.
    I think everyone on watching tv and the whole stadium of 76000 could see it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

I felt Gerard was missing today as captain surely he should have had a word with Mach ??

Draw
    Villain wrote: »
    LOL I do wonder sometimes if people here just don't see what happens or just want to troll, I mean someone said earlier that Mascherano ran 40 yards, it was barely 15 and as for the bit in bold above thats just lies, he was smiling and asking the Ref "whats happening".

Seriously if you want to give a biased opinion thats fair enough but don't try and post blatent lies as present them as facts.

The lunatic refers not to how he shouted, but the idiocy in giving out to the ref having already been cautioned and commiting 2 fouls since the booking.

I should have made that clearer, but you must forgive me, Im busy celebrating United thrashing an inept Liverpool side. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Draw
    now that part one is complete, we can now watch one or two sides knock each other out of the title race :)

*gets popcorn*

Draw
    smemon wrote: »
    now that part one is complete, we can now watch one or two sides knock each other out of the title race :)

*gets popcorn*
    Yup heres hoping for a draw, lots of injuries and red cards.

Chelsea
    The lunatic refers not to how he shouted, but the idiocy in giving out to the ref having already been cautioned and commiting 2 fouls since the booking.

I should have made that clearer, but you must forgive me, Im busy celebrating United thrashing an inept Liverpool side. ;)

He didn't shout until after he had been sent off, celebrate away but posting lies and presenting them as facts doesn't do anything for your opinion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Draw
    Villain wrote: »

I agree but the ref told him he was goign to book him unless he shut up in a previous incident. And Torred was booked for the same offence he was a complete idiot and can not be defended in the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Draw
    Delighted with the win today, I thought Scholes was magnificant in the middle of the park. As for Mash, he was very silly, he never shut up badgering the ref as soon as he got booked and everyone knows that Bennet is a very volitile ref, the pool players should have pulled him away and told him to zip it. Of course if there was alittle common sense from the ref he could went over to Gerrard the captain and said to him that if Mash doesnt stay quite he will be sent off and get Gerrard to have a word with him. Although common sense and Steve Bennett is a rarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Draw
    NeVeR wrote: »

I think this season has really caught up with him. He looked absolutely knackered in the second half, hence the poor passing and shooting. Scholes and Carrick were very impressive though and Scholes in particular controlled the game.

Chelsea
    Heres hoping for a good open game and a decent performance by the ref.

Gallas is cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Draw
    People defending Mascherano:

Why would he get involved? Aside from wanting to get sent off, WHY ON EARTH would you get involved? Xabi Alonso tried to pull him away, but he went on. Rafa tried to shout at him to get him to stop, he STILL went to the ref.

Why? Maybe you should ask yourselfs that.

I think Bennett is a knob. But my god, Javier is an idiot for trying it on with "The Headmaster".

I would be upset too had my team been spanked but Masch was stupid. ESPECIALLY with the whole Ashley Cole thing in the week.

Chelsea
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Why would he get involved? Aside from wanting to get sent off, WHY ON EARTH would you get involved? Xabi Alonso tried to pull him away, but he went on. Rafa tried to shout at him to get him to stop, he STILL went to the ref.

I don't people are defending him I just think people feel he was treated badly compared to how Rooney and Terry etc get away with abusing ref's all the time.

Draw

There we go - Rafa's magic tactics. 1-0 down, being outplayed - lets look for an excuse for the defeat! ;)

Draw
    Delighted with the win today, I thought Scholes was magnificant in the middle of the park.

agreed, thought Scholes had a great game today. Did he get MOM, certainly should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Draw
    I thought Scholes was immense today by far the best player on the pitch.Giggs for me shouldn't be starting any game for United.Let him beat Charltons record coming on as a sub and not make a mockery of his legendary career by giving displays which show he is past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

and on to part 2 - hopefully more about football less about refs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The Cashley incident and Mascharano one highlights for me everything thats wrong with football. Cashley is just and arrogant twat but the one today was borne out of passion more than anything else. The Pool players were asking for trouble, giving the ref such crap. It was stupid but he was rightly sent of. I honestly dont know why refs bother, the abuse they get from the players and then fans such as on this forum try to justify such behaviour. Why can't footballers speak like rugby players do to refs, if you have a problem the captain will have a word and show a bit of respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

I would be upset too had my team been spanked but Masch was stupid. ESPECIALLY with the whole Ashley Cole thing in the week.

so Masc cant talk to the ref because of what Ashley Cole did during the week. nonsense.

the PL is never going to change. English players (Rooney, Gerrard, Cole, Terry) getting away with verbally abusing refs and everyone else gets penalised for it. joke.

united deserved the win in the end, but Bennett killed the game with a sill sending off.

Bennett is like a power hungry bouncer who wont let you in to the club for no reason. he loves the attention. theres no room in the game for refs like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Draw
    utd>>>>>>>>Liverpool

close thread move on

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

utd>>>>>>>>Liverpool

close thread move on

only half way there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Draw
    great result for united, now, im not going to gloat. we won and that is that, lets move on to next weekend, one game closer to the title and that is that. here are my thoughts -

united totally deserved to win the game, 3-0 was deserved, but it could have been more, bad finishing cost united. however, i would have been happy with 1-0.

ref got the decision correct with the sending off IMO, mash was looking for it. lets hope now we see alot more of this in the game, united included. the way refs get stick is sickening at times. ashley cole cost liverpool a player today perhaps.

liverpool have not scored against united in 8 games now in the league, thats shocking really. and they never looked like scoring today.

this liverpools midfield sh*ts on uniteds can be put to bed again for another few months. when was the last time united were out powered in a game by liverpool? 4 or 5 years perhaps. i have said this time and time again, uniteds current midfield is the strongest we have had in 10 years. we overran liverpool today.

something that i think is key to united v liverpool and it was brought up in the commentary a good few times: about the influx of foreign players and that it may not mean as much as it does to homegrown players. uniteds squad today has 8 players that grew up with united/liverpool as the big day of the year, liverpools have 2. that sums it up for me why liverpool just cant match united in these one off games at the moment.

reina also showed that he is not up to the standard of the likes of chech and vds. you cannot make mistakes in the big games, liverpool keepers have a habit of doing it over the past 5 years. he is a good keeper, but is suspect in the air.

my ratings on the game

van der sar - (7)was a spectator really, solid though when needed
    browne - (7) had babble in his pocket and scored, job done.
    rio- (9) awesome, is there a more composed CH in the game at the moment? 2nd time this season, torres was poor. rio is a fantastic CB, people just need to take off their ABU glasses and see that.
    vida - (8) solid. a true true leader.
    evra (9) was unreal, close to MOM, as to how Kuyt was left on ,beggars belief
    ronaldo (8) was everywhere and could/should have scored 2 more. this boy is something special. delighted for him. wonder what the foul count was today?
    scholes (9) MOM, scholesy back to his best, immense. alonso was poor as a result.
    carrick (8) carried on his super form, was excellent today.
    anderson (8) for the 4th time this year, has had gerrard (2) and fabregas (2) pocket. a great game from him, shame bout his shooting. a big game player at 19, will be a united star.
    giggs (7) his best game in months. still frustrating, but massive improvement. again, big game players. united have them all over the field.
    rooney (8) excellent, had he took one of his chances, MOM for me. 2 assists though, a top top player when the chips are down, tormented liverpool.

nani and tevez did their bit and gave united an edge when they came on. fergie got this spot on, our best 11 finished the game today.

for liverpool, nobody played well. torres was well out of it (2 away goals in the league this year:eek:), gerrard has perhaps his worst game of the season. reina was both their worst and best player, though all uniteds chances were poor finishing, well except one great save from rooney. carragher was very poor and liverpools center defence was dodgy to say the least. big gamble putting in skyrtel, he was terrilble.

good result for united.

Draw
    theres no room in the game for refs like that.

There's plenty of room for them, we need more of them..

Whatever about the diving and play acting, when players feel they have control and power over the referee to influence decisions, you need someone who will turn around and put them in their place.

That's all Bennet did today. He could easily have sent Mascharano off earlier for dissent straight after he got the first yellow - he had the power to.

He then waved Mascharano away when he came over after Torres was booked, but he didn't move and continued talking.

Bennet didn't kill any game today, he was doing his job. Pitty Masherano wasn't :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Draw
    Good to see the typical eijits with the expected comments looking for a reaction ather that match.

The sending off was unfortunate but Masch put the referee in that position. He really should have stayed out of it. If he did, he would still be on the pitch.

Saying that, the booking of Torres was a complete joke and is what set the whole thing off.

Even when Masch was talking to him, you could see the smile on his face. He was bordering on laughing. It is very different from the dissent that we are used to, i.e. fingers in the ref's face and veins throbbing..

As for the performance up to that point. We just weren't at the races. We were second to nearly every ball. Gerard was also doing little or nothing up that point.

United, regardless of the sending off, deserved the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Draw
    drogba looks like he is not interested today. just missed a great chance. 24 gone and pretty tame so far, arsenal with the lions possession.

Draw
    Good to see the typical eijits with the expected comments looking for a reaction ather that match.

agreed

Saying that, the booking of Torres was a complete joke and is what set the whole thing off.

agreed
    United, regardless of the sending off, deserved the win.

agreed

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

There's plenty of room for them, we need more of them..

Whatever about the diving and play acting, when players feel they have control and power over the referee to influence decisions, you need someone who will turn around and put them in their place.

That's all Bennet did today. He could easily have sent Mascharano off earlier for dissent straight after he got the first yellow - he had the power to.

He then waved Mascharano away when he came over after Torres was booked, but he didn't move and continued talking.

he's a referee with no common sense. he sent of Cahill a couple of years back for taking off his shirt, i think FIFA even criticised him over that decision. and you say we need more refs like him?
    He could easily have sent Mascharano off earlier for dissent straight after he got the first yellow - he had the power to.

:rolleyes:

good win for united today, anything but 3 points for arsenal today and united have one hand on the trophy, and i cant say they havnt deservd it this season.

• Advertisement

Draw
    Looking good for a stalemate in the chelsea -v- arsenal match.

0-0 HT

Both sides with scrambles off the line, Chelsea looking the more likely to score.

Advertisement