Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths formulae

Options
  • 16-03-2008 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Ok, my teacher in school is leaving all the theorems and all the trig formulas and basically any theory bit till after easter, and since it's going to be hectic with orals and what not i've decided to get a headstart... Just wondering if any of you know any links or sites with every single theorem and formulae? it doesn't even have to explain them, literally just list them... i know there's like 12 trigonometry ones, but what bout De Moivre's and the line proofs and all as well?

(honours maths btw...)

Ta!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Jayage

you doing hons or pass??

the formulae should be in the text book
    most use tests and texts they are usually outlined around the chapters!

if you want to get ahead i'd say you should be able to put the effort in to find them yourself!
    just write them down on a seperate sheet of paper and you have em :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fibonacci23

nice job highlighting my laziness! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Jayage

ooops didnt realise you said hons maths :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Personally, I don't think learning every proof and formula off by heart seperate from other forms of maths study is that good an idea.

Just revise things section by section, and rather than learning the formulae for that section off by heart, just do loads of questions which require those formulae and until you no longer need to look them up to do the questions.

I'd also advise that with proofs, rather than learning them off exactly, that you try and prove them on your own a couple of times first, without looking at the book. If you don't succeed, read the proof in the book, close it and try again etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Ok, my teacher in school is leaving all the theorems and all the trig formulas and basically any theory bit till after easter, and since it's going to be hectic with orals and what not i've decided to get a headstart... Just wondering if any of you know any links or sites with every single theorem and formulae? it doesn't even have to explain them, literally just list them... i know there's like 12 trigonometry ones, but what bout De Moivre's and the line proofs and all as well?

(honours maths btw...)

Ta!

The EDCO exam papers have all formulae, (i think). Skoool.ie might have a list of them. What i recomend is get an A4 page and go thru the book and write down all the formulae you'll need in each section.

Put that A4 page on your wall, and by the time the Leaving comes you'll know the formulae just by glancing at them every day when you wake up. Works like a charm!

PS: i thought Theorems we're only on the JC. Or are you talking about trig proofs (ie: show sin^2A + Cos^2A = 1)???

• Advertisement

Peleus wrote: »
    The EDCO exam papers have all formulae, (i think). Skoool.ie might have a list of them. What i recomend is get an A4 page and go thru the book and write down all the formulae you'll need in each section.

Put that A4 page on your wall, and by the time the Leaving comes you'll know the formulae just by glancing at them every day when you wake up. Works like a charm!

PS: i thought Theorems we're only on the JC. Or are you talking about trig proofs (ie: show sin^2A + Cos^2A = 1)???

Proofs yeah, but also like de moivre's theorem... thanks a mill for the advice...! (if i can find a gap between the cardiac cycle and volcanoes of the world! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think learning every proof and formula off by heart seperate from other forms of maths study is that good an idea.

...I'd also advise that with proofs, rather than learning them off exactly, that you try and prove them on your own a couple of times first, without looking at the book. If you don't succeed, read the proof in the book, close it and try again etc.

Totally correct. You won't get (that many) marks for remembering a formula, you'll get far more for being able to use it properly - hence practice, practice, practice.

As for learning off theorems, etc., it's not a good idea. If you're good enough to be doing Hons maths, you should be good enough to be able to understand them and work through them logically. You're less likely to make a mistake if you do it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Challenged

Here is a list of all the formulae taken from Essential Revision Guide (Folens):

www.studentxpress.ie/proofs.pdf

Only 3 trig formulae are noted in the proofs. Most of the trig proofs are identities where you have to prove the left hand side equals the right hand side. The 3 listed need to be learned whereas all the others are done using the techniques in solving identities.

Challenged wrote: »
    Here is a list of all the formulae taken from Essential Revision Guide (Folens):

www.studentxpress.ie/proofs.pdf

Only 3 trig formulae are noted in the proofs. Most of the trig proofs are identities where you have to prove the left hand side equals the right hand side. The 3 listed need to be learned whereas all the others are done using the techniques in solving identities.

Most helpful so far! thanks :D

Advertisement