Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

Wireless add-on for your XBMC going cheap...

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=56596

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hey, just noticed my Weather isnt working on my Xbox. Its connected to the Net and working no probs that way but getting nothing from the weather, on either channel.
    Is this a problem with my build of XBMC (cant tell which one I have at the mo)? And if so, what was wrong with the build that was available back at the start of this thread? All worked ok on that. A later build had Static IP problems, and possibly this build has weather problems.

Or is it just that Sunshine in Galway does not compute!

Edit: Anyone play Tetris on XBMC? The Sound effects are great, flatulance all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭ongarite

Weather.com website changed. You have to hex edit the default.xbe to fix it. Took me 2 mins to do with any hex-editor.
    http://xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p=183942&postcount=12

Nice one. I really should be just reading up on this myself, but I was in a hurry last night. Cheers man, ill know for next time a similar scenario unravels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

I have some USB adapters for sale for the xbox....

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=56937

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

can anyone help? I can't FTP to the xbox, when I boot up unleash I get an ip of four 0's and if I change the ip to static I sometimes get an ip of 192.168.0.100 and i still can't FTP. I'm also using a crossover cable.

You only get a set IP when connected to a router.

What do you mean you sometimes get an IP of 192.168.0.100? When you set it on Static IP you should set the IP.

If your IP on your PC is 192.168.X.yyy , then set the xboxes IP to 192.168.X.zzz.

Make sure the IP is being saved. It should show up on the main menu screen as 192.168.X.zzz if it has been saved.

I assume you are connecting straight to the xbox with the crossover cable, and to using the crossover to connect to a router?

Crossover is only used when connecting PC to Xbox.
    Straight CAT5 cable is used to connect the xbox to a router to which your PC is connected to.

If you are only using a crossover cable to connect PC to XBOX, you need to set static IP for both PC and XBOX.

Set XBOX IP to be 192.168.1.3, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1

Set PC IP to: 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1

ongarite wrote: »
    If you are only using a crossover cable to connect PC to XBOX, you need to set static IP for both PC and XBOX.

Set XBOX IP to be 192.168.1.3, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1

Set PC IP to: 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1

Exactly!

Is there any reason for the gateway though? Me thinks not from my experience.

I modded the xbox using my pc, but I'm ftp'ing using my vista laptop direct tho the xbox via crossover cable. I'll follow your steps and report back. Anything I should be wary of using a vista machine to do this?

• Advertisement

With my Dell Vista machine, there are 2 TCP/IP connections you can put IP addresses into. I think one is TCP2 and one is TCP4. Or something like that, im working off vague memory here so anyone feel free to correct me. The Lan port is the "4" one as far as i can remember.

Wouldnt be any harm to disable any wireless connection, it might be trying to connect via wireless when your using the LAN port.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. The only thing that worrys me is that when I connected everything and powered it on, the ip's were not assigned automatically. I thought that's how it happens? Or am I wrong?

Thanks, I'll give it a go. The only thing that worrys me is that when I connected everything and powered it on, the ip's were not assigned automatically. I thought that's how it happens? Or am I wrong?
    That only happens when the Xbox is connected to a router.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,372 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The gateway should normally be the same one as the xbox one or the router I guess (if the pc is on another class of network), either should work. Most times you won't need a gateway at all as you wont be trying to connect to another network.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

one more thing, when i launch ms dash it gives me error 12. When I install xbmc will this be fixed?

one more thing, when i launch ms dash it gives me error 12. When I install xbmc will this be fixed?

Error code 12 is a DVD drive error. Does the DVD drive work? Check for loose, damaged IDE cable or damaged yellow power cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

are you sure its 12? 13 maybe?

I thought it was 12 but I'll check after work. Does this mod make the DVD region free? Also a bit of advice, the op said you need a torx 20 screwdriver, but you'll also need a 15 and a 10 for the insides!

XBMC is a region free DVD player. You only need a 10 & 15 Torx if you are replacing,upgrading the HDD.

cheers! I needed the 10 and 15 to remove the drive to do the hotswap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

tried the mod at last today unfortunately after I boot my pc from the cd and hotswap the drives my monitor says "input not supported", even though I see the initial splash screen with the 4 options to boot into!!! its a HP flatscreen, any ideas, will i need to get my hands on a CRT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Can you see your bios or hardware profile when you boot the PC? (prior to loading windows). Some monitors (like this one) dont like Low resolutions. I like seeing my bios.

finally completed this last night and it kicks ass! Thanks to the op any everyone who helped me... Now I just need a wireless adaptor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

finally completed this last night and it kicks ass! Thanks to the op any everyone who helped me... Now I just need a wireless adaptor...

http://www.dabs.ie/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4PK4

this will recieve your wifi and feed it into the xbox's ethernet port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Can you see your bios or hardware profile when you boot the PC? (prior to loading windows). Some monitors (like this one) dont like Low resolutions. I like seeing my bios.

yeah i can see the bios splash screen, and the splash sreen for xbox HDD loader/modder.

Discovered that i made a few F**k ups along the way, so re compliled the disc and started over, just seemed to be having the error that some of the other posters were experciening in that , when i booted the pc from the cd itcould not see the xbox harddrive and the the pc was not detecing it in the bios, changed the the jumper settings on the cd drive to make it master on the 2ndary Ide channel with the xbox on the primary channel but no joy !!
    Then I bricked my xbox !! ( luckily i bought a spare sometime ago when this thread started).

ok I'm now doing this on a friends xbox and I've done everything exactly the same (burned a new ISO for his kernel 5101) and it can't find the partition! I'm doing the constant power hot swap rather than the music pause method and it simply will not see the partition. The drive is a western digital.

Is the drive connected to the PC via the master connection IDE cable. And is the Drive set as Master, Slave or Cable select? It should be Master or Cable select.

Whats the "constant power hot swap"?

Is the drive connected to the PC via the master connection IDE cable. And is the Drive set as Master, Slave or Cable select? It should be Master or Cable select.

Whats the "constant power hot swap"?

Yes and its cable select. The constant power method was described a whileas a different way of unlocking the drive:

Disconnect xbox IDE cable from xbox cd rom
    disconnect xbox power supply from drive
    connect pc power supply to xbox drive
    power xbox and pc on at same time ( drive is now unlocked)
    hot swap IDE cables
    run ndure.

That how I did my own box so I'm stumped as to why it not working for my mates! The only differences are kernel and drive brand.

Oh wise black knight help me, you're in athlone and so am I!

Disconnect xbox IDE cable from xbox cd rom
    disconnect xbox power supply from drive
    connect pc power supply to xbox drive
    power xbox and pc on at same time ( drive is now unlocked)
    hot swap IDE cables
    run ndure.

That how I did my own box so I'm stumped as to why it not working for my mates! The only differences are kernel and drive brand.

Oh wise black knight help me, you're in athlone and so am I!

Never heard that before. So the CD rom doesnt have an IDE cable connected to it is the main reason it unlocks the drive. Handy.

Im pretty sure ive done that kernal before (defo a 51xx Kernal) and had no problems.
    The wise Black_Knight would gladly help, but im actually in galway for the next few weeks, back in athlone the 27th id say if you still have problems then, ill do what I can.
    [Edit] The wise :D [/edit] witnessmenow might be back in Athlone before me and be able to spare some time to try his hand at it. Expect him to be posting here shortly... he generally does. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Im far from wise!

Never heard of the Constant power swap thing before?

Try doing it the other way, you dont need to put music on it though:

Turn on your Pc with the Ndure CD in it.

Turn on Xbox, when it gets to the green X plug out the IDE cable from the hard drive

Plug hard drive into the pc when its on the option screen is loaded from the cd (xboxhd screen?)

then click one and proceed as normal

If it doesnt work for you i can probably do it sunday evening for you if you want?

Advertisement