Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

Cool, thanks mate, now back to melting - 43 degree C today and not going below 40 rest of the week :eek:

MMmm, im on antiboitics that im not to venture into sunlight with, so even if it was warm I'd be the one knob stuck indoors.

I think i need some help here, i have unleash x installed and have FTP'd using filezilla the entire contents of XBMC folder to e\dash, once completed i rebooted and now i get unleash x when powering up by either button ?

I did the ftp thing again and now have XBMC as an app of unleash x ?

• Advertisement

Did you copy the folder into E:\Dash\XBMC?

Your lucky it didnt work, you are better off using a xbe shortcut tool to use XBMC as your frontend and replace the xboxdash.xbe in E:\Dash with your shortcut by the same name. Be very careful with the path, it must be precise of you'll be hotswapping again.

Install XBMC into E:\apps.

Your lucky it didnt work, you are better off using a xbe shortcut tool to use XBMC as your frontend and replace the xboxdash.xbe in E:\Dash with your shortcut by the same name. Be very careful with the path, it must be precise of you'll be hotswapping again.

I have it in E:\apps but i think i have it twice now so i will have to delete the other copy when i get a longer lan cable or my new wifi adapter gets delivered. Just been setting up my Logitech harmony remote so i can can use it to operate XBMC as well as all my other AV devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Whats the benefit of doing it this way?

Well it is easier and i wouldnt recommend using UnleashX while you are FTPing over (overwriting) the contents of E:\Dash. With the shortcut method I believe you reduce the risk, dont overwrite settings etc. I think that evox.ini is important and should remain there.

Edit, it seems to be just the unleashx files in E:\dash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SomeCollegeKid

Hello all.

First of all, great post.. lovin it.

I've got the entire XBMC folder copied to E:\dash but it doesn't come up automatically when i start up the xbox.

Is there a step im missing or something else I have to do besides having the folder in there?

• Advertisement

Having the XBMC folder in E:dash wont do **** all except waste space. The heirarchy of the boot file or "dash" has to be E:\dash\xboxdash.xbe

Thats the file thats booted, and thats why you are getting unleashx on boot.
    Follow this post, its only two or three posts above this one.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58819804&postcount=548

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

nicks right, are you after dragging over the XBMC folder so its E:/Dash/XBMC/default.xbe ?

Because your ment to drag the contents of the XBMC folder over, not the folder its self.

Let us know if you are still having problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Just a quick thanks to Supercell for this guide. Did my old Xbox today in under 30 minutes with the help of this. It's been gathering dust since time began, but is now more useful than when new :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 banguz989

I get all the way upt to step 9 and then i get a message saying that the linux cd cannot be found...i dunno what i'm doing wrong here but somethin's not right. Any body got ne ideas for me?

The Xbox hard drive needs to be hotswapped into the primary connection of the IDE cable, the CD drive needs to be in the secondary connection. Im assuming you are using 1 IDE cable and your CD drive has its jumper set to slave, the xbox hard drive set to master..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 banguz989

actually my cd-rom is connected to the computer as the master on the ide cable but my dvd burner is hooked up via sata. got ne ideas on how to configure this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I have a 360 that I use with an drive as a media centre. Is this basically the same thing only much cheaper?

banguz989 wrote: »
    actually my cd-rom is connected to the computer as the master on the ide cable but my dvd burner is hooked up via sata. got ne ideas on how to configure this?

Take out the sata cable from the DVDROM and hook up the CD Drive on the secondary IDE Cable with the jumper set to slave. Then hook up the XBox hard drive on the primary IDE cable ( i hope you have two cables...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I have a 360 that I use with an drive as a media centre. Is this basically the same thing only much cheaper?

Better. you can watch youtube clips, listen to i-net radiostations etc. I have both, 360 and original, and really prefer the original as media player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

docentore wrote: »
    Better. you can watch youtube clips, listen to i-net radiostations etc. I have both, 360 and original, and really prefer the original as media player.

Cool, cheers. Might look into it. Anyone fancy doing the work for me?! For a small fee obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Cool, cheers. Might look into it. Anyone fancy doing the work for me?! For a small fee obviously.

pm me if you're in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nlitend1

I've read all 500+ posts of this thread and think i have a good idea on what i'm doing. I'm also very comfortable w/ FTP and IDE cable positions.

What makes the hard drive "brick" in some circumstances besides hard drive failure? Is there a 5 minute time limit before it won't work once it's reconnected to the xbox? I guess i don't see how some things fail without the hard drive completely dying?

Is there a list of "Don't's" to do while softmodding?

What would you recommend? Powering the hard drive off the PC and then switching the IDE cable once the music track is paused? Or, power off the xbox, connected a wire from metal on the PC to metal on the xbox and switch the IDE when the music track is paused? Someone mention unplugging the xbox DVD drive IDE before booting the xbox and then swapping the hard drive IDE once the green "X" is on the screen...how does that work? How does that unlock the hard drive?

Also, I've heard that X-box live no longer works once the xbox is softmodded. Is that true? Also, on that note, how would i go about upgrading the dash before doing this mod. Is a Halo 2 disk the only way? Also, what dash range is safe to do this mod? Any 5k versions? Do any of the 4k versions work?

I'm getting my box in the mail today and i'm not sure the dash, but i don't have any games to update the dash, so i want to know the range of safe versions. I will back up my eeprom as soon as i'm in. I'm just anxious about bricking it.

Thanks for any help,
    nlitend1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, personlly, my first Do is, get yourself an xbox to USB adapter and a copy of splinter cell and do it properly. ;)

my first DON'T is don't open your xbox and pc up and start messing round pulling out cables with the power turned on.

seriously. you can pick up splinter cell for €5 and about the same for an xbox controller to usb converter cable (or a action replay) and just use any old usb stick to copy over the savegame and you're done and you can then softmod as many xboxes as you like with no extra cost and no need to even open anything up at all and risk life, limb & xbox/pc with spinning fans and exposed psu's and circuit boards.

you don't even need the usb cable after te first time (assuming you're keeping an xbox for yourself) as you can copy over the savegame over and over to a memory card from your own softmodded xbox any time you need to.

i've softmodded heaps of the things for mates etc. at this stage and with a bit of practice you can have the whole thing done and dusted inside 20 minutes without even breaking a sweat.

for an extra €10 investment it's a bargain, and you even get the splinter cell game to play if you fancy. :)

i actually keep a memory card with my copy of splinter cell and have lent it out to mates to do their own several times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nlitend1

Thanks for the reply! I'm in the USA, so i don't have easy access to an action replay or have anyone with one or games around here...so i'm still leading towards the free method. I might look on ebay and see if i can find one cheap though.

Would there possibly be anywhere i cold download the gamesave, put it on a USB drive and the just get a controller to USB adapter?
    Did softmodding your xbox break xbox live?

Thanks again, nlitend1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kedi

ok i was have xbox beafore 10 min now i have screen that my xbox req service. Am do all in tutorial and when i start my xbox after logo i was have black screen then i try backup and then mu box start then but say that i have 500song(ofc i dont have it because was delete when i do softmod) and then i was going 2 do all again and again i was black screen end then when i try 2 restore i see MATRIX on my tft (am gotto 5 restore) and then when that very strange backup is finished am turn on box and thats it...your box req service....

so what to do?

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

kedi wrote: »
    ok i was have xbox beafore 10 min now i have screen that my xbox req service. Am do all in tutorial and when i start my xbox after logo i was have black screen then i try backup and then mu box start then but say that i have 500song(ofc i dont have it because was delete when i do softmod) and then i was going 2 do all again and again i was black screen end then when i try 2 restore i see MATRIX on my tft (am gotto 5 restore) and then when that very strange backup is finished am turn on box and thats it...your box req service....

so what to do?

This hurts my brains!

What error do you get in the top left of the screen when it says "xbox requires a service"?

am fix my box am get xplorer360 and copy c and e files (softmoded)

and now i have screen SID 4.0 so i just have 2 install softmode?

a] Click Dual Boot for NTSC or PAL (which ever one is for you, if you do not know, please contact someone for assistance)
    b] Click Knaves Ndure, Open tray = Retail
    c] Choose either the Installation for EvolutionX or UnleashX. For a Novice, I would suggest UnleashX.

so what i have 2 install a b or c? :) tnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vnegussi

OK, i am having the same problem as Nick olivieri had:

root@Xbox-HDM:/1 xbrowser
    Looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hda...
    Looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hdb...
    No disk drive found on /dev/hda
    Please connect a drive and try again!

We will now search /dev/hda for an xbox partition table.....

No xbox-partition table found on /dev/hda

Done!!!
    root@Xbox-HDM:/2

i tried to check what was connected to my primary in my bios before i did the hotswap

it turns out i have no primary, but instead i have an occupied first channel, an empty second channel, another first channel occupied, and another second channel occupied

i REEAALLY want to get this on my xbox but i am stuck and reaaly need help!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

If your still having the colour problem man, download a program called enigma video switcher just google it..

Drop that into your apps folder on the xbox and run it as a program, once loaded press A for pal or B for ntsc once you choose, restart the xbox and see ifs its any better!

• Advertisement

i have a big problem. So am lost my C and E partition on org. hdd.
    So i have new one 40gb disk and iam download some softmoded rar with full C and E partiton. But good that i have m eeprom.bin file so am try few times 2 make a new hdd but when i conect hdd on box sometimes i have 2 wait 2-3 min to get moded screen and sometimes i dont have that screen,sometime dont want 2 start. Is maybe problem that i dont have 2 ide conector on my main board my primary master is box hdd and secondary on same cable is dvd
    i dont get any error when do this. And one more because i have eeprom.bin i dont do hotswap am just unlock hdd and do all i need and then just lock him

is this good idea? i dont know what to do i cant back my box to work like beafore :(

Advertisement