Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tintar

Help!!!!!

I just tried to install xbmc on an old xbox using supercells first post on this thread. I set the right kernel version while creating the linux.iso file.

Everything seemed to go well until I reconnected the hdd back to the xbox. After rebooting it, the xbox gets stuck at the green xbox screen and doesn't go ahead.

While ndure was running, I noticed the following message:

"copying ndure files - no such file or directory

cp /cd/ndure/c/media/*
    cp /cd/ndure/c/bios/*
    cp /cd/ndure/e/dash/* "

Any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tintar

ok i think i know my problem. the linux.iso that was generated is only 48MB in size. Googling around I can see it should be around 400MB, but how can this be?

I cant for the life of me now recall from where I downloaded the Ndure3.1 installer, but I guess it was a post somewhere on this thread.

Can anyone please point me to a proper Ndure3.1 download?

[edit:] The Ndure 3.1 zip I downloaded contains the Ndure-3.1.exe which 16MB in size, a pdf & some text files. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Tok

Hi,

I tied every method I could find to get the hard drive to unlock (pausing the song, unplugging the DVD power, pausing a game, etc) and none of these where working. So after about 4 hours of trying I decided to try it trough software, ending up with the upgrading the hard drives firmware (it is a Seagate model).

It unlocked the drive and I ran ndure and I did notice an error in part 3 of 3 of the process, but I assumed this wasn't a big deal.

But when I rebooted the xbox I got a error code 5 message.

Is there anyway of getting the lock back on the harddrive. It is a basic xbox and was never opened until last week.

Can I get around the modchip fix for this?

Thanks for any and all help.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

Tok wrote: »
    Hi,

I tied every method I could find to get the hard drive to unlock (pausing the song, unplugging the DVD power, pausing a game, etc) and none of these where working. So after about 4 hours of trying I decided to try it trough software, ending up with the upgrading the hard drives firmware (it is a Seagate model).

It unlocked the drive and I ran ndure and I did notice an error in part 3 of 3 of the process, but I assumed this wasn't a big deal.

But when I rebooted the xbox I got a error code 5 message.

Is there anyway of getting the lock back on the harddrive. It is a basic xbox and was never opened until last week.

Can I get around the modchip fix for this?

Thanks for any and all help.

You need to keep the hdd powered while you swap the ide cables around, i think that was your first error. I had to do the hot swap 4 times until i realized my cd rom was on cable select and then i set it to master and it worked, i would maybe try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 poba

Fantastic great guide Supercell ! I dont understand english very vel but the guide its writen so easx that everyone coud understand enough.
    I have only one problem when I start apps in unlesh-x the logo of XBMC is not show. other logos are shown. How can edit this.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

If you want you can jsut boot straight to XBMC (when the Xbox starts), you will not lose any functionality. Have you backed up the EEPROM?

Yes I have a backup my eprom, but I want to have unleash for main dash because if i will upgrade the XBMC.

Fair enough, there might be a menu if you go into apps and hover over xbmc and press either start, black or white to change the picture for the .xbe file. Im not quite sure though, as mine isn't here at the moment.

Yes I try but notnig hapend, On same YouTube muvies all the titles have an icon, Ihave omlj DVD2XBOX.

Strange.. Might i suggest you upgrade to the latest XBMC svn and see if the icon displays? Make sure and backup your library first!

• Advertisement

I will try but I dont see any icon in unleash main menu dvd, games, apps etc like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEyZmHCGBYo
    Thank all for help

Hi, just instaled new version of xbmc svn, but nothing hapend.
    BY

Put the image attached into the xbmc folder and restart the xbox.

If theres not an icon there then go into the system settings and there should be an option to enable editing of items.

Then you press start and go to edit item when you have XBMC selected in Unleashx.

Attached image Below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 JmcG

great thread, finding it very useful, just got an old xbox (green model, k:1.00.5101.01, d:1.00.5960.01) and trying to set up XBMC on it.

Is the method described in this thread risky or would I be better off trying to get a action replay device or usb adapter (think a mate has old splinter cell game that should work)?

Well it depends, ive had one xbox out of around 10 fail on me and it was my fault not backing up the eeprom after modding it. I had it working a good five minutes after installation of softmod.

If your PC motherboard has two IDE cable slots then go for it. This guide is very easy.

nice one, thanks for the quick reply Nick_oliveri, will try later as my old PC has two IDE cables

Hi Imaded found this http://www.xbox-skins.net/forums/index.php?automodule=downloads&req=download&code=confirm_download&id=126 and instal icon in unleashx. I think that unleshx work a litle slower then before. But nice With help I maeded. Thanks all

JmcG wrote: »
    nice one, thanks for the quick reply Nick_oliveri, will try later as my old PC has two IDE cables

Just make sure and follow this diagram and connectivity in my post here when connecting them up.

My new rig only has the one IDE connector also, annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

sorry for the n00bness
    can this be done without
    Pc with IDE hdd connections

Just make sure and follow this diagram and connectivity in my post here when connecting them up.

My new rig only has the one IDE connector also, annoying.

Thanks for all the help, just after successfully installing XBMC, now in the process of sharing media from my PC :D

• Advertisement

would this sata to ide converter work
    all i have is laptop you see, and want to install xbmc on xbox

this is sata to ide via usb on pc

http://www.misco.ie/productinformation/~90672~/Videk%20USB%202.0%20to%20SATA%2FIDE%20Combo%20Adaptor.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

I have my doubts that adapter would work Bobby. I don't think xboxhdm would see a drive connected to that adapter. I'd say it would only pick up legacy ide ports and drives connected to those. I stand to be corrected tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

h8red is right, it will never work with the converter like that. the only other option would be splinter cell save game

docentore wrote: »
    the only other option would be splinter cell save game
    thanks lads
    can you point me in right direction for info on this please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Here is a guide i wrote, its not fully finished but it should get you by!

Here is a guide for making the usb adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Here is a guide for making the usb adapter
    Will that pick up usb keys/external drives?

It will, but it is limited to 4gb if i'm not mistaken.

Its also possible to integrate a usb port into the xbox, here's a picture of my xbox (terrible quality using the webcam of my acer aspire one). You can see the usb port on the very right

[IMG]http://consoledoc.com/images/USB PORT.jpg[/IMG]

Completely OT, but you can hook up a external up to a modified PS2 (Even tried a TB and it works perfect). Its no where near as nice/polished a solution as the Xbox but defiantly worth looking into if you already have a ps2. PS2s can be softmodded now pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Completely OT, but you can hook up a external up to a modified PS2 (Even tried a TB and it works perfect). Its no where near as nice/polished a solution as the Xbox but defiantly worth looking into if you already have a ps2. PS2s can be softmodded now pretty easily.
    I've only a slim ps2 so I don't think it's possible.

Definitely will look at the xbox usb though. Seems reasonably straightforward, now to find a spare female end somewhere.

Slim one works even better! The slimline is Usb 2.0 while the phat one is only 1.1. The mod i use is called freemcboot, it modifies some files on the memory card. The application is called SMS.

I recommend buying a usb hub in euro2, and farming the female ports out of that (thats what i used for my adapter). You can build the adapter in such a way that it can be used as a regular xbox controler, a usb to xbox converter and a xbox to usb converter.

Adapter.jpg

Again sorry for the terrible quality!

• Advertisement

10) Connect the hdd back to the xbox ide cable and power it off.
    Power it back on, all going well you'll get the standard Xbox boot screen followed by UnleashX.
    this is where i fail, i ge the xbox boot screen then BLACKNESS
    all previous steps went without a hitch afaik
    any ideas
    how can i reset xbox to do it again, ie: get back play song and pause screen

thanks

Advertisement