Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rick81

Hangover wrote: »
    In the menu where you play music you can copy a track or entire cd to the hdd, the idea is to copy 1 song and remove the cd, then you play the saved song for a few seconds then pause it and disconnect the ide cable as the the hdd is unlocked at that point.

yep got it thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Not sure if it's the Kernal or the Dash thats important but will this work with:

Kernal 4817
    Dash 5960

Has anyone done with these?

I have

Kernal 4817
    Dash 5960

i cannot see the xbox hdd when using xbrowser.
    says it found drive but no xbox partitions. i have setup the master and secondary correctly and i can see the hdd in the bios. any ideas?
    is there anyway i can upgrade the dashboard with no xbox live account or a post halo 2 game. thanks

In the menu where you play music you can copy a track or entire cd to the hdd, the idea is to copy 1 song and remove the cd, then you play the saved song for a few seconds then pause it and disconnect the ide cable as the the hdd is unlocked at that point.

Hi i am having trouble reading the hdd.

I have

Kernal 4817
    Dash 5960

i cannot see the xbox hdd when using xbrowser.
    says it found drive but no xbox partitions. i have setup the master and secondary correctly and i can see the hdd in the bios. any ideas?

i fumbled through some of the hdunlock tools and it said illegal partition, etc. this is a 2nd hand xbox. could it have been hacked already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Try swapping the cables around, I had to do that once or twice i think.

I never bother using the music track way to hotswap, I always use step 8 of this, saves time.

Thats also guide if you think someone has messed around with your drive before, you can return it to stock using it.

• Advertisement

its like the hdd wont unlock. have tried a few different methods of hot swapping. arrrrgh

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

rick81 wrote: »
    its like the hdd wont unlock. have tried a few different methods of hot swapping. arrrrgh

Was the xbox working previously ? i have one that i cant unlock the hdd either so will probably just chip it.

yeh it works but have been having trouble softmodding it. ive killed the hdd in the process so now trying to recover the eeprom somehow.

rick81 wrote: »
    yeh it works but have been having trouble softmodding it. ive killed the hdd in the process so now trying to recover the eeprom somehow.

I've done that and was able to rebuild a stock hdd and then install it without the eeprom using xboxhdm. You make a rebuild disc that converts the hdd back to original MS state and after booting the xbox you just do a hotswap, shutdown then it should boot back up as a stock xbox. I've got 6 in bits that i'm repairing and going to make them into media centre's with coinops emulators

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Any details on these?
    Would love some coinops emulator and classic arcade games om my xbox?

• Advertisement

Just before this goes down a bad road I would like to remind people that discussing where to get roms is against the charter and will get you banned!

Talking about Emulators is ok though, possibly even deserves its own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

sorry for my dumb question -
    i was told xbox cannot connect to internet - no wireless or ethernet.
    so how can we access internet videos from xbmc?
    pls suggest

sorry for my dumb question -
    i was told xbox cannot connect to internet - no wireless or ethernet.
    so how can we access internet videos from xbmc?
    pls suggest

Only partially true, there is no browser in XBMX but there are numerous plugins/ scripts to allow you to access online content from certain websites.
    Xbox has an ethernet port so you can connect it to a wireless device or modem/router - i have 2 currently setup to stream from my pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks hangover for your response.
    i am borrowing a old xbox from a friend who is not using it.
    he said it does not have a ethernet port on it.
    i am currently using xbmc on my pc and would love to have it on a xbox.
    unfortunately i could not find 20euro box in gamestop or anywhere around dublin

thanks hangover for your response.
    i am borrowing a old xbox from a friend who is not using it.
    he said it does not have a ethernet port on it.
    i am currently using xbmc on my pc and would love to have it on a xbox.
    unfortunately i could not find 20euro box in gamestop or anywhere around dublin

Your friend must be blind as they all have an ethernet port, on rear LH side as seen from the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Your friend must be blind as they all have an ethernet port, on rear LH side as seen from the front.

I assumed he means that it "doesn't have one", i.e its broke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 all43

Great post Supercell, thanks loads, I have followed it step by step and only come across one problem, my box can not read vcd or back up games discs but will read them ftp to the hd and still reads originals, I've tried two different dvd drives, is there any thing you can suggest, many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Does anybody know of anywhere in Galway that sells the original xbox 2nd hand or otherwise these days?

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Does anybody know of anywhere in Galway that sells the original xbox 2nd hand or otherwise these days?

Adverts could be your best bet. Though users are wising up and realising that they're worth more then the €20 gamestop were flogging them for. Your best bet is to just ring up the games shops around galway and ask, they give ya queer looks if you walk in asking for an original xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

trying in vain to get the linux program on my xbox mem card and then onto the xbox but cannot get a proper software for the memory card plus drivers for the conrollers,which is driving me crazy as i am falling at the 1st hurdle!
    any answers?
    thanks
    john

• Advertisement

I would like to softmod the xbox with the linux method through usb-mem card to linux program on games such as splinter cell.
    I have tried the first option about taking apart the xbox but had no joy with that method way back when.
    Has anyone here done this method,if so would you have the drivers for the xbox controller for XP and also the software for the files (Krazies ndure i think!)
    I also need the software for the action replay (in order to get the ndure on the memory card,or if anyone else knows a better way i am all ears!)
    I have the original xbox (one with error code after attempting the hard softmod!)and it is free to a good home to any kind soul that can help me!
    Very hesitant to try that method again!
    thanks in advance!

I would like to softmod the xbox with the linux method through usb-mem card to linux program on games such as splinter cell.
    I have tried the first option about taking apart the xbox but had no joy with that method way back when.
    Has anyone here done this method,if so would you have the drivers for the xbox controller for XP and also the software for the files (Krazies ndure i think!)
    I also need the software for the action replay (in order to get the ndure on the memory card,or if anyone else knows a better way i am all ears!)
    I have the original xbox (one with error code after attempting the hard softmod!)and it is free to a good home to any kind soul that can help me!
    Very hesitant to try that method again!
    thanks in advance!

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

anyone?

are you close to Dublin anytime soon?

in loughrea and up to my eyeballs with study for exams,so no can do!
    thanks
    anyway
    john

If you want to post me the memory card I'll put the files on it for you.

have successfully ftp'ed into xbox.
    what i thought transferred the xbmc folder(without the tools folder)to the e/dashboard file in the xbox,rebooted and just unleash dash!checked apps too but nothing there!
    trying again direct into E/apps!
    any tips?
    thanks
    john

ps thanks witnessmenow

working in apps!
    great stuff!
    now is there an update everything button???
    thanks
    john

i go to add network location,i get workgroup(ok) then the two pcs on the network(lovely) then xbmc asks me for password and username for the individual ones!
    basically i want to stream from my pc upstairs.
    I have tried default "xbox" for username and password.
    I have tried the pc windows username login plus the network password.
    XBMC Lock issue on setting up SMB
    no joy!
    really confused about this!
    any help will be great.
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the simplest way is to dust off your paypal account and get one of these yokes:

th_xboxusb.jpg

just do an ebay search for "xbox to usb cable" and you'll find plenty for about a fiver and all you need then is a bog standard usb memory stick of 2gb or less and you're laughing. for the time and money you'll save it's well worth the effort, and with that and a splinter cell dvd you won't even have to open the case at all to softmod it. :)

not to mention that assuming you're going to keep an xbox for yourself, once you've got one xbox done, you can just use that to copy the files onto a regular xbox memory card and sell the cable on to a mate who wants to do his own and recoup your fiver. :D

i'd say i've done a few dozen xboxes at this stage and i'm still using the same memory card and splinter cell i did my first one with, minus the xbox to usb cable. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

vibe666 wrote: »
    the simplest way is to dust off your paypal account and get one of these yokes:

th_xboxusb.jpg

just do an ebay search for "xbox to usb cable" and you'll find plenty for about a fiver and all you need then is a bog standard usb memory stick of 2gb or less and you're laughing. for the time and money you'll save it's well worth the effort, and with that and a splinter cell dvd you won't even have to open the case at all to softmod it. :)

not to mention that assuming you're going to keep an xbox for yourself, once you've got one xbox done, you can just use that to copy the files onto a regular xbox memory card and sell the cable on to a mate who wants to do his own and recoup your fiver. :D

i'd say i've done a few dozen xboxes at this stage and i'm still using the same memory card and splinter cell i did my first one with, minus the xbox to usb cable. ;)

I'm having some trouble finding a guide on how to mod the console this way.
    Could anyone link me to a guide?

Advertisement