Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Here ya go

If You have any feedback on it I'd love to hear it.

EDIT: I notice a small bit of a mistake in step 14. When you turn it on you need to press eject because if you leave the game in it it will boot into splinter cell again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

Here ya go

If You have any feedback on it I'd love to hear it.

EDIT: I notice a small bit of a mistake in step 14. When you turn it on you need to press eject because if you leave the game in it it will boot into splinter cell again

Cheers,

I need to get a few things before a have a go at this. I have some questions about what's required if anyone could answer.

1. Will this adapter work for it?
    2. Any USB stick/flash drive should work?
    3. The original Splinter Cell and not Pandora tomorrow or Chaos Theory?
    4. This will work on any xbox console, including the crystal ones?

Cheers,

I need to get a few things before a have a go at this. I have some questions about what's required if anyone could answer.

1. Will this adapter work for it?
    2. Any USB stick/flash drive should work?
    3. The original Splinter Cell and not Pandora tomorrow or Chaos Theory?
    4. This will work on any xbox console, including the crystal ones?

1) Yes
    2) Well, no. Firstly i dont think it can be bigger than 2gb and secondly some just dont work(xbox wont reconise it)
    3) Yes must be the original splinter cell
    4) Yes, works with them all.

2) Well, no. Firstly i dont think it can be bigger than 2gb and secondly some just dont work(xbox wont reconise it)
    Could you recommend one that you know does work? Preferably less than 20 quid. :)

the one i use i got free from opening a bank or ireland account about 3 years ago :P

If you have some around the house just back up their data and try them out, better than spending a few pound

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Zeronifty

I had to reply and say thanks for this awesome tut. My 360 recently got the red ring so I was looking for another way to stream video to my TV from my computer. Seeing that I had 2 original Xboxs laying around I figured I would try to find out if it was possible, and being that I really really REALLY didnt want to spend any money on a game or adapter this was the way to go.

Only 2 problems I had was it seems for everything to work you need to have an older computer without Sata, or at the very least one with 2 IDE ports luckly I had an old Dell sitting in my closet that was able to provide exactly what I needed, from there is was a walk in the park to get everything working.

Second, I have Vista and ISO recorder didnt seem to want to burn the boot disk correctly. DVD Decrypter altho old seemed to be the only program up to this task it burned a bootable disk in about 5 mins.

Ordered the stuff needed off ebay so hopefully I'll be able to give this a go some time next week. :D

One thing I was thinking about is how I can use emulators with the console. Can I just burn the emulator to a disc with extras and do it that way?

Yup

Yup

Very good.

Thanks for all the help btw. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

Ordered the stuff needed off ebay so hopefully I'll be able to give this a go some time next week. :D

One thing I was thinking about is how I can use emulators with the console. Can I just burn the emulator to a disc with extras and do it that way?

By far the best emulator i have found for the Xbox is Coinops Reignite- google it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

Hangover wrote: »
    By far the best emulator i have found for the Xbox is Coinops Reignite- google it ;)

all i get is message boards but no file?
    thanks
    anyway
    slan
    john

all i get is message boards but no file?
    thanks
    anyway
    slan
    john

Try Mameox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭marky boii

That Xbox is SO so old.

marky boii wrote: »
    That Xbox is SO so old.

And your point is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

And your point is ?

Persistent troll/spammer to be honest. They've somehow gotten away with calling me a fool on the xbox forum without a ban too..only a matter of time I suppose :rolleyes:

dont worry, mods are watching... Make sure you have report any personal abuse in any forum, xbox forum is a bigger kettle of fish than here, the mods cant/won't be reading every single post

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

dont worry, mods are watching... Make sure you have report any personal abuse in any forum, xbox forum is a bigger kettle of fish than here, the mods cant/won't be reading every single post

I reported it, that's why I said it was a matter of time :)

And.. I knew I was right, you mods are always around :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bugoy8

Hi guys,

New here. Bought a fairly cheap Xbox in view of running XBMC on it.

Followed all the instructions of the OP, quite successfully.

Now I cant seem to play files of my library (source WHS). And this is really frustrating me. Got all excited about the XBMC install only to find that files wont play. I'm just trying to play avi's, mkv's etc.

I'm getting the error stating "Playback Failed. One or more items failed to play. Check the log files for details".

Where can I see the log file?

Does it matter that I'm connecting via uPnP (Windows Media Connect)?

Really hope someone can help me.

Thanks.

bugoy8 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

New here. Bought a fairly cheap Xbox in view of running XBMC on it.

Followed all the instructions of the OP, quite successfully.

Now I cant seem to play files of my library (source WHS). And this is really frustrating me. Got all excited about the XBMC install only to find that files wont play. I'm just trying to play avi's, mkv's etc.

I'm getting the error stating "Playback Failed. One or more items failed to play. Check the log files for details".

Where can I see the log file?

Does it matter that I'm connecting via uPnP (Windows Media Connect)?

Really hope someone can help me.

Thanks.

When i set sources for media over network i use the SMB network and never had a problem, worth a try.

When i set sources for media over network i use the SMB network and never had a problem, worth a try.

Thanks Hangover. The SMB did work, thankfully. Didnt want all that effort to mean nothing. :)

Now just running "Set Content".

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Tried this today. Got to step 9 and when I typed "xbrowser" it would say "linux cd not found". The dvd drive wouldn't eject either.

sink wrote: »
    Tried this today. Got to step 9 and when I typed "xbrowser" it would say "linux cd not found". The dvd drive wouldn't eject either.

Ok this is usually because the cd/dvd rom is either not on a seperate ide cable or is not set to master, hdd must be on primary ide and cd/dvd on secondary ide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Ok this is usually because the cd/dvd rom is either not on a seperate ide cable or is not set to master, hdd must be on primary ide and cd/dvd on secondary ide.

It's an SATA BD-RE drive. The HDD was on the primary IDE, secondary was empty. The HDD's of the pc I was using are SATA as well, so the IDE is not being used at all under normal operation.

sink wrote: »
    It's an SATA BD-RE drive. The HDD was on the primary IDE, secondary was empty. The HDD's of the pc I was using are SATA as well, so the IDE is not being used at all under normal operation.

There is your problem, will only work with ide cd/dvd roms not sata .

Hi

I've installed XBMC straight to E:/Dash. Am I still able to get to the main Xbox dashboard to check Video settings?

bugoy8 wrote: »
    Hi

I've installed XBMC straight to E:/Dash. Am I still able to get to the main Xbox dashboard to check Video settings?

I rarely use it but if you go into filemanager and look at your C: drive and there should be a .xbe for the MS dash- been a while so just look in shadow C as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Has anyone tried the beta for the new Xperience skin - http://www.teamblackbolt.co.uk/projdetails.php?id=4 - tried it on my XBox and it crashed out after a few minutes
    Just wondering if anyone else had similar a experience? (horrible, horrible pun not intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

off topic guys - i cant find any xbmc xbox for sale.any one keen on selling one?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

off topic guys - i cant find any xbmc xbox for sale.any one keen on selling one?

Mods apologies if this isnt allowed--dont see anything in the rules about it.
    Ive a non modded one for sale on adverts if thats any use to you.Never got around to modding it.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

Need your suggestions with component video. Basically, I cant seem to get it to work!

For the softmod done on the xbox, I followed everything on the first page of this thread. I've got XBMC installed and could watch video using composite.

I'm trying to use component but not having much luck. I've installed the Enigmah video switcher. I get to the menu, choose B for NTSC. After the hard reboot though, I seems to revert back to PAL.

Since then I've created a blank EEPROM_off.bin and placed it on the E root dir. No luck.

Further research made me create an E:\NKP11, where I placed EEPROM_off.bin file. Still no luck.

Using Ndure-3.1 if that helps.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Advertisement