Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hevsuit

Gitchusome wrote: »
    the link on that website for v1.4 gives me nothing. when i click on the 1.41 update it downloads it like it should. will that work if i use that or is that strictly an update?

Have you used torrents before?
    If not, download the client at http://www.bittorrent.com
    After installing this, try the xbmc 1.4 download link again and bittorret should start to download the .iso file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gitchusome

hevsuit wrote: »
    Have you used torrents before?
    If not, download the client at http://www.bittorrent.com
    After installing this, try the xbmc 1.4 download link again and bittorret should start to download the .iso file

yes, ive used torrents before. im not stuck in 1999. lol. it isn't downloading anything. when i click the link it redirects me to this... http://www.aidtracker.com/files/XBMC.Installer.Deluxe.v1.40.Xbox-Hq.torrent . i dont have any idea why, but thats what it does. i'm using ubuntu 10.04, so i have no need to download a torrent client because i already have one. any help?

Gitchusome wrote: »
    yes, ive used torrents before. im not stuck in 1999. lol. it isn't downloading anything. when i click the link it redirects me to this... http://www.aidtracker.com/files/XBMC.Installer.Deluxe.v1.40.Xbox-Hq.torrent . i dont have any idea why, but thats what it does. i'm using ubuntu 10.04, so i have no need to download a torrent client because i already have one. any help?

The link in your last post downloads the .torrent file for XBMC v1.4 installer.
    In windows this file automatically initiates bittorrent and the object begins to download through it.
    Since you indeed have a torrent client, try and save the.torrent file to your desktop and open the file manually using the torrent client.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 godzilla8nj

Thanks for the great guide. I bought a used Xbox just to try this. It came with two dongles that plug in to the front of the Xbox, one for DVD playback and one for the Xbox remote control. Two questions:
    1. Do I even need the DVD playback dongle now that XBMC is installed?
    2. The remote doesn't seem to do anything. Do I need to configure it somehow? (Found this but not sure if I need to do it: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Lirc_Config_for_Xbox_DVD_Remote.) FYI it also didn't do anything in Unleash before I installed XBMC and I neglected to try it on the stock Xbox first. Already checked battery, lights up remote.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks for the great guide. I bought a used Xbox just to try this. It came with two dongles that plug in to the front of the Xbox, one for DVD playback and one for the Xbox remote control. Two questions:
    1. Do I even need the DVD playback dongle now that XBMC is installed?
    2. The remote doesn't seem to do anything. Do I need to configure it somehow? (Found this but not sure if I need to do it: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Lirc_Config_for_Xbox_DVD_Remote.) FYI it also didn't do anything in Unleash before I installed XBMC and I neglected to try it on the stock Xbox first. Already checked battery, lights up remote.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,

The answer to your first question is 'no'. XBMC contains all the codecs needed for media playback and requires no dongle for authentication.
    As for your second question, I do not know the answer. Did the remote work before you softmodded the xbox on the old dashboard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 godzilla8nj

hevsuit wrote: »
    Did the remote work before you softmodded the xbox on the old dashboard?
    Unfortunately I didn't think to check. In your opinion what is the best forum to find folks who might know?

Unfortunately I didn't think to check. In your opinion what is the best forum to find folks who might know?

Google 'afterdawn forum', they deal alot with this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

hi all!
    had issue with router after 2 weeks holiday.
    back up and running now!
    ok
    cannot get a file to play
    go through all the menus and select the drive on the pc and the folder and then the individual file say a movie file.
    loading green circle keeps going and never loads the file so it does 95% but not the whole job!
    very frustrating as i dont know what to look at!
    slan
    j:confused:

anyone help me out plz?
    thanks in advance!
    I have a feeling the router is blocking the shares somehow!
    I have went to portforward etc and done the required.
    no idea what could be wrong!
    thanks in advance!
    slan:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

seanin4711 wrote: »
    anyone help me out plz?
    thanks in advance!
    I have a feeling the router is blocking the shares somehow!
    I have went to portforward etc and done the required.
    no idea what could be wrong!
    thanks in advance!
    slan:confused:

delete the shared folder shortcut in xbmc and create it again, or reconfigure it. Probably you had it set to use your pc ip address and this changed after router restart

• Advertisement

docentore wrote: »
    delete the shared folder shortcut in xbmc and create it again, or reconfigure it. Probably you had it set to use your pc ip address and this changed after router restart

i right click on the folders i want share with everyone an exit,go back into same folder and its like windows 7 nhas not saved the "everyone".
    weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

i right click on the folders i want share with everyone an exit,go back into same folder and its like windows 7 nhas not saved the "everyone".
    weird

I meant shortcut in xbmc on the Xbox to your shares on the PC
    when you go to video in xbmc you should see a shortcut unless you doing that through file explorer. it is unlikely that router is blocking internal traffic.
    also try with firewall turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you can browse to the file on your xbox then its unlikely that it's blocking the shares. usually it just won't let you in at all.

is it just one particular file or all of them? maybe it's just a dodgy file?

what about pictures & music on the same share, can you get those to display okay on the xbox or is nothing working?

when you right click on the folder you want to share on your PC and go to "sharing" and choose "specific people" then you'll want "everyone" in that list, so if it's not just add it again.

if it won't stay then try a different user by creating a new local user on the PC (for simplicity just call the user xbox with the password xbox) and then add that user into the share with at least read only permissions and then put those credentials into xbmc as the default logon credentials under "settings > network > SMB client" and that should (hopefully) do it.

in xbmc, i can gain access to the shared foldr and sub folders then to the file which will not open,thought it was the router,then xbmc then network switch but all seem ok.
    pics,music and movie files same result.
    really freaking me out as i love the interface!.

COuld it be cabling ie cat5 v cat 5e???

When I right click on folder to share i go "specific people" and "everybody" save and exit.
    i go back in 1 sec later and it is locked on nobody.is this the norm?

@vibe666
    "and then add that user into the share with at least read only permissions"

how please?

I will try ur sugestions asap!

Hi,
    Just getting to grips with xbmc on original xbox (and loving it!)when it craps itself.
    As above it just won't open any file on the network where green and white dotted circle keeps going but doesnt open selected file.
    Confused to say the least.
    Thanks in advance.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

@vibe666
    "and then add that user into the share with at least read only permissions"

how please?

I will try ur sugestions asap!
    assuming it's xp or vista or some other flavour of windows, go into users in control panel and create a new user with the username xbox and the password xbox (or whatever you want to use that's reasonably simple).

now go to your shared folder with your movies etc. in and right click on the folder and go to sharing (or properties > sharing) and add the new xbox user there and see if that works.

vibe666 wrote: »
    assuming it's xp or vista or some other flavour of windows, go into users in control panel and create a new user with the username xbox and the password xbox (or whatever you want to use that's reasonably simple).

now go to your shared folder with your movies etc. in and right click on the folder and go to sharing (or properties > sharing) and add the new xbox user there and see if that works.

I got a song to play on tv thru network but very laggy.
    I am going to run thru and check cabling.
    Will cat 5 do or does it have to be crossover?
    I have cat 5 and/or cat 5 e atm all round.

trying all over the place to get a decent version but its like a needle in a haystack.
    anyone point me the right direction?
    i might do a reinstall altogether!
    slan

where to get xbmc as t3ch doesnt do it anymore!
    s:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

where to get xbmc as t3ch doesnt do it anymore!
    s:confused:

Go over to XBMC4XBOX.org and at the top of the page you'll find a link to the latest nightly builds, T3CH has retired so this is the only place to get new xbox builds.

• Advertisement

seems to be an issue with these two lads here!
    video will play after 5 mins but extremely laggy!
    I feel it is being throttled somewhere along the line!
    I have a netgear DG834G router going to 85mbps homeplug,then downstairs this is fed to another 85mbps homeplug to a network switch and on to xbox.
    I reckon it could be the build of XBMC i have installed but i have nearly tries a half a dozen at this stage and same network share issue.
    anyone have any idea?

seems to be an issue with these two lads here!
    video will play after 5 mins but extremely laggy!
    I feel it is being throttled somewhere along the line!
    I have a netgear DG834G router going to 85mbps homeplug,then downstairs this is fed to another 85mbps homeplug to a network switch and on to xbox.
    I reckon it could be the build of XBMC i have installed but i have nearly tries a half a dozen at this stage and same network share issue.
    anyone have any idea?

Have you used to the homeplugs for any other networking to pc etc ?
    My xbox's are setup wirelessly with the furthest being about 15-20m downstairs and i am still able to stream movies from my pc without any lagging - i also use a DG834G modem/router so i know they work well.
    My xbmc build is 01/2010 but also have a 2nd build for testing that also works fine, do you have a long lan cable you could try.

Hangover wrote: »
    Have you used to the homeplugs for any other networking to pc etc ?
    My xbox's are setup wirelessly with the furthest being about 15-20m downstairs and i am still able to stream movies from my pc without any lagging - i also use a DG834G modem/router so i know they work well.
    My xbmc build is 01/2010 but also have a 2nd build for testing that also works fine, do you have a long lan cable you could try.

homeplugs work fine for other laptop downstairs.
    What is the number for you 01/2010 build?
    30654 for example,
    where to get older versions,as nightly builds on sshcs.org seem to only have very recent builds!
    no long lan cable as yet but will try asap!
    slan
    s

homeplugs work fine for other laptop downstairs.
    What is the number for you 01/2010 build?
    30654 for example,
    where to get older versions,as nightly builds on sshcs.org seem to only have very recent builds!
    no long lan cable as yet but will try asap!
    slan
    s

I dont know the version off hand but i have been using 30519 to install onto other xbox's i have and i know that works fine, only way to get old builds is to get them from someone or a 2008 version off the AID disc which also works very well.

I dont know the version off hand but i have been using 30519 to install onto other xbox's i have and i know that works fine, only way to get old builds is to get them from someone or a 2008 version off the AID disc which also works very well.

2008 version availability?
    where thanks
    j

2008 version availability?
    where thanks
    j

Google auto installer deluxe or search a torrent site

here it is - http://www.aidtracker.com/ its the top entry, its hard to find old xmbc versions,i have a couple on my pc but files are too big to email.

Aid is a very hand disc to have as you can setup new hdds, install apps and flash tsops and modchips.

Google auto installer deluxe or search a torrent site

here it is - http://www.aidtracker.com/ its the top entry, its hard to find old xmbc versions,i have a couple on my pc but files are too big to email.

Aid is a very hand disc to have as you can setup new hdds, install apps and flash tsops and modchips.

Does this 2008 version install on the hdd of xbox?
    just load it up and install?
    slan
    j

Does this 2008 version install on the hdd of xbox?
    just load it up and install?
    slan
    j

Yes, i checked the info on that AIDV4.52 and it will most likely have a newer version of XBMC on it, if you want an old 2008 V AID 4.51 is what you need.

Yes, i checked the info on that AIDV4.52 and it will most likely have a newer version of XBMC on it, if you want an old 2008 V AID 4.51 is what you need.

At least i am sure that the version on AID 4.2 is working!(DL ing as we speak)
    I am having major issues with trying to get into my network shares as described.
    xbmc will load up for about 5+mins or so then eventually open the file but super laggy unwatchable!
    Any settings in the netgear router i should look out for?
    Love the confulence skin on newer versions of xbmc!
    thanks for all the help so far

• Advertisement

At least i am sure that the version on AID 4.2 is working!(DL ing as we speak)
    I am having major issues with trying to get into my network shares as described.
    xbmc will load up for about 5+mins or so then eventually open the file but super laggy unwatchable!
    Any settings in the netgear router i should look out for?
    thanks for all the help so far

Are you using Win7 by any chance ? there have been a lot of problems with network sharing and win7. I have only set up port forwarding for torrents on my router and left the rest alone.

Advertisement