Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

griffdaddy wrote: »
    got around to doing this today, was very, very easy and enjoyable. Been fiddling around with emulators and so forth all day. Does anyone know where to get one or two xbox controllers at a good price? I'd prefer a bricks and mortar shop but wouldn't be against buying online. I had a look on ebay and a few other places and they're not as cheap as i thought they'd be.

Try this place, the wireless controllers are pretty cheap .

http://www.goldenbridge.hk/category-220-b0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

hey guys,
    I've decided to bring my XBOX back into circulation to replace the DVD player in the house, just to see what its like.
    I have XBMC, the DVD remote and wireless, but the XBOX doesnt have wireless, and the router is in the other room!

Is there a cheap adaptor I can get to plug into the XBOX ethernet that will let it connect to my WPA2 wifi signal, and stream films? Thanks.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    hey guys,
    I've decided to bring my XBOX back into circulation to replace the DVD player in the house, just to see what its like.
    I have XBMC, the DVD remote and wireless, but the XBOX doesnt have wireless, and the router is in the other room!

Is there a cheap adaptor I can get to plug into the XBOX ethernet that will let it connect to my WPA2 wifi signal, and stream films? Thanks.

There are mini wifi adapters about but are hard to find and not cheap unless you can find a 2nd hand one, cheapest option is to find a wireless router that supports the DDWRT firmware hack so you can use it as a wireless bridge, or look for a router that has client /bridge mode in its specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Hi guys I tried to do the mod on my xbox today. The issue is when I play the music track nad then pause the song and switch the IDE cable to the pc, and chose number 1 it not detect the XBOX harddrive. Any help ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

At what stage do you boot your PC is it after connecting the HD or before as most PC's detect the hd on boot and will not recognise after that.

I think you need to hot swap the boot the pc, of course have the PC psu plugged in to power the hd from the start if that makes sense to you

• Advertisement

Thanks M8. I have the system now finding the Harddrive but the issue now is I get the following message...

Found Harddrive.
    We wil now search /dev/hda for an xbox partition table....

No xbox-partition table found on /dev/hda......

This is the 8 GB hard drive that is in the xbox, and works with no issues.....

Is the HD on the first IDE port as master\cable select and the CD rom on another port as master? If possible try that

The HD is on the only IDE port as master\cable select and the CD rom on another port as master?. I think the drive is still unlocked even though OI have played a music track and paused the track.

The way i did mine (and ****ed up a few too) a few years ago was this:

Turn on XBOX -> When you see "Microsoft" written across the bottom, unplug the IDE.
    Plug the PCs IDE into the XBOX HDD, leaving the XBOX power lead attached.
    Turn on PC.
    DOT TURN OFF THE XBOX...EVER!!!

Do all the jiggery pokery stuff where you copy over the new dashboard.
    I think you can turn the PC off now.
    Reconnect the XBOX IDE to the XBOX hard drive.
    Now you can turn off the XBOX.

I will try shortly....Let you know the outcome.:o

• Advertisement

No joy...Giving up for the night...leave till weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The HD is on the only IDE port as master\cable select and the CD rom on another port as master?. I think the drive is still unlocked even though OI have played a music track and paused the track.

Set the hd to master, & cd as the slave.

I was unable to change the settings on the cd drive due to it been a slim form pc, so the cd drive was that of a laptop.
    I have aquired a different machine and shall try either later tonight or tomorrow.

I was unable to change the settings on the cd drive due to it been a slim form pc, so the cd drive was that of a laptop.
    I have aquired a different machine and shall try either later tonight or tomorrow.

When you try again as B man said you dont need to play an audio track, just after you the xbox logo you can do the hotswap as it is unlocked at that stage.

Ye and if u do it my way, you dont even need the CD drive attaced to your PC, because Windows detects it as a regular hard drive and you can just download that XBOX file manager software from xbox-scene and use it to just copy and paste over the dashboard files, as far as I rememeber. Its been maybe 5 years since I did it!
    If that works anyway, then you can plug the hard drive back into the XBOX and backup any keys that need to be backed up via the dashboards, like EvolutionX.

Where can you download the latest version?

All the links I had are now gone.

m8 wrote: »
    Where can you download the latest version?

All the links I had are now gone.

I did post a link but must have been deleted, dont know why.

Go to xbmc4xbox and the link is at the top of the page.

Hi Hangover

I see a link but can't see a version for the origional xbox?

Hangover wrote: »
    I did post a link but must have been deleted, dont know why.

Go to xbmc4xbox and the link is at the top of the page.

Hi Hangover

I see a link but can't see a version for the origional xbox?

They are only for original xbox , you are going to xbmc4xbox and not the main trunk xbmc website ?

Hi Hangover
    I goto http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/ and can't see a link on that page but if I click on Devolopment > xbmc but none of these links work?

Am I in the wrong place?

• Advertisement

Hi Hangover
    I goto http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/ and can't see a link on that page but if I click on Devolopment > xbmc but none of these links work?

Am I in the wrong place?

Right place but you need to go to the forum.

ahh think I have it now is r30805 it?

ahh think I have it now is r30805 it?

Yep thats it.

LOL..... sometimes you need it to poke you in the eye before you see it...thanks for your help Hangover ;)

I have done it....I removed the IDE cable and power cable from the cd drive in the xbox.....and as soon as I got the red light I hot swapped the HD drive with the pc. I am at the mo copying over Ndure files....

Ok guys I have now a softmodded xbox. my next question is using the ndure disk I created can I copy the eprom from my old drive and that install on my new drive either a wd160jb or an Hitachi IC35L090AVV207-0. Or if I do a copy disk will this copy over the eprom as well.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mangraviti

Thanks for the amazing tutorial.

Although it's kinda old, it worked with a little research online as there were some broken links on the sticky post.

I got it working on my second attempt (the first one rendered the XBOX unusable - but hey, it's only £10 here in the UK).

The tutorial was great but I've got to be honest. The XBMC for XBOX is a bit disappointing. I was expecting much more from it for being a hardcore Linux user.

It's difficult to find compatible USB devices that will work and there is a limitation of 4GB if you are trying to use a flash USB drive. I know that the hardware doesn't help much but I've seen other Linux distributions perform miracles before and this one doesn't do the stuff I am used to.

Anyway, thank you VERY MUCH for the help! It was great!

Cheers from the UK.

Mangraviti wrote: »
    Thanks for the amazing tutorial.

Although it's kinda old, it worked with a little research online as there were some broken links on the sticky post.

I got it working on my second attempt (the first one rendered the XBOX unusable - but hey, it's only £10 here in the UK).

The tutorial was great but I've got to be honest. The XBMC for XBOX is a bit disappointing. I was expecting much more from it for being a hardcore Linux user.

It's difficult to find compatible USB devices that will work and there is a limitation of 4GB if you are trying to use a flash USB drive. I know that the hardware doesn't help much but I've seen other Linux distributions perform miracles before and this one doesn't do the stuff I am used to.

Anyway, thank you VERY MUCH for the help! It was great!

Cheers from the UK.

I think it does amazing things considering the hardware it has, video in 720P, streaming, photo slideshows, mp3/ flac etc audio playing, what more do you want for a 10 year old black box ?

USB drives that work are hard to come by but once you find a brand that does work just stick to it.

Also, you can get internet on it with them "ethernet through your electricity" plugs, and then you can also access your SMB shares too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 k1m05

[QUOTE=4) Now copy the ndure.txt file attached to this post to \xboxhdm\linux\ndure and remove the extension, just should be called "ndure", delete the ndure.htm file in there.[/QUOTE]

after running ndure i do not get the ndure.txt file. Any suggestions?

Advertisement