Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Thats xboxhd, if it didn't report your drive was locked then you should be good to go & user xbrowser now & install the exploit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 D3lu

EnterNow wrote: »
    Thats xboxhd, if it didn't report your drive was locked then you should be good to go & user xbrowser now & install the exploit

i luv u <3:D ps. no homo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

I just purchased a moded xbox with evoluition x.
    The reason being as I want to have xbmc to watch liveonlinefooty.
    I have looked on the internet all morning for advice on how to install but seriously I would have more look reading Chinese.

Please can someone explain how I can install xbmc in the easiest way possible? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

if you dont know what you were at auto installer deluxe works very well, nice guided installs for everything, apparently its a bit outdated now and hexen is a better disk but ive personally never used it so i cannot say, you can also FTP in and install the xbmc files if you know what youre doing. is it a modchip or a softmod do you know?

weeder wrote: »
    if you dont know what you were at auto installer deluxe works very well, nice guided installs for everything, apparently its a bit outdated now and hexen is a better disk but ive personally never used it so i cannot say, you can also FTP in and install the xbmc files if you know what youre doing. is it a modchip or a softmod do you know?

Thanks for the reply.
    you can also FTP in and install the xbmc files...what exactly does that mean?
    I take it it is a modchip, it has a chip coming out of the xbox that lights when it is turned on.

• Advertisement

FTP is when you use a client such as FileZilla to connect to the XBOX over your network. You can then transfer files to the XBOX over the network. If you're new to all this then may I suggest the XBMC4XBOX forums? They're more used to helping XBOX users whereas most people here will probably be using the ATV (Apple TV).

FTP is when you use a client such as FileZilla to connect to the XBOX over your network. You can then transfer files to the XBOX over the network. If you're new to all this then may I suggest the XBMC4XBOX forums? They're more used to helping XBOX users whereas most people here will probably be using the ATV (Apple TV).

To connect over the network do I just need to connect an RJ45 from my xbox to my wireless router?

I will check the forums now. Cheers

sounds like a proper modchip then xecuter 3 comes to mind first off.

xs3final_3.jpg

FTP stands for file transfer protocol, its basically like a file browser that you can connect to your xbox and transfer files. if you arent sure of what your doing with regards this then the auto installer is the easiest way to go, pop in the dvd, select your install method (modchip or softmod) select which dashboard to use (xbmc in your case) click ok and it does everything by itself.

Thanks for the replies guys. Soryy im not very technical.
    This is my chip:
    x2.1-switches4.jpg

You say I can do auto installer with a dvd, how and where do I get that.
    I take it I download a file and burn it onto a DVD?

To connect over the network do I just need to connect an RJ45 from my xbox to my wireless router?
    Yup!
    You say I can do auto installer with a dvd, how and where do I get that.
    I take it I download a file and burn it onto a DVD?

He's referring to a disc called "Auto Installer Deluxe" or "AID":
    What is Auto-Installer Deluxe?

It allows you to install one of many different Dashboards, and has countless Applications and Emulators to choose from.

• Advertisement

When I connect my rj45 to router and xbox I follow the instructions here.

I do everything step by step.
    But when I ping 192.168.0.2, 4 get lost.
    I notice that the details it tells to enter in tcp/ipv4 are 192.168.0.1
    so when I ping that 4 are recieved.
    When I use flash fxp and quick connect with 192.168.0.1 it says connection failed instantly. When I try 192.168.0.2 it fails after about a 30 second attempt to connect.

Any one know what I am doing wrong?

yeah thats an xecutor 2 front panel, older version of the one i pictured above.

anyway http://www.aideluxe.com/index.php?title=Main_Page is what your after, also i think your networking problem is your ip address, by default most routers assign 192.168.1.* addresses try and set your xbox to 192.168.1.* (*being a number) of choice. the auto installer disks are much easier though, i see they even have an xbmc dedicated one now.

edit: actually just to double check, what dashboard loads up when you turn on the xbox? if its the stock microsoft one then you cannot ftp to this and you need to either get a boot disk with a dashboard on it or put the hard drive into a pc to put what you need onto it, but the auto installer disks will also install the dashboards.

if you happen to be anywhere near gorey i would be happy enough to help you out with getting this set up.

yeah thats an xecutor 2 front panel, older version of the one i pictured above.

anyway http://www.aideluxe.com/index.php?title=Main_Page is what your after, also i think your networking problem is your ip address, by default most routers assign 192.168.1.* addresses try and set your xbox to 192.168.1.* (*being a number) of choice. the auto installer disks are much easier though, i see they even have an xbmc dedicated one now.

edit: actually just to double check, what dashboard loads up when you turn on the xbox? if its the stock microsoft one then you cannot ftp to this and you need to either get a boot disk with a dashboard on it or put the hard drive into a pc to put what you need onto it, but the auto installer disks will also install the dashboards.

if you happen to be anywhere near gorey i would be happy enough to help you out with getting this set up.

Thanks for all your help so far.
    When I load the xbox it brings up the evolutionX screen.
    So if you were me in this situation whats the next step that needs to be taken, remember that my goal is to install xbmc onto xbox to watch liveonlinefotty.

When you connect up the XBOX to your router does it say anything about the I.P address on the main screen of Evolution X? If it states an IP address then that's the one to use in FlashFXP. I don't think you need to go messing in the EvoX settings with static ips and what not. Well I didn't with UnleashX anyway. In the FTP tutorial you're following the pic of EvoX has IP address in the top right so that's what you should be using in FlashFXP. If it's not there try rebooting.

When you connect up the XBOX to your router does it say anything about the I.P address on the main screen of Evolution X? If it states an IP address then that's the one to use in FlashFXP. I don't think you need to go messing in the EvoX settings with static ips and what not. Well I didn't with UnleashX anyway. In the FTP tutorial you're following the pic of EvoX has IP address in the top right so that's what you should be using in FlashFXP. If it's not there try rebooting.

No man it says nothing and on the main ms Xbox screen it says unable to connect to network.

Hmm I'm at a bit of a loss so. Did you try going into "System Configuration" and then "System Settings" with Evolution X and see what's there?

evox.jpg

thats what the network config screen should look like or similar,
    usually i will change to automatic instead of static and let the router do the setting up as this works most of the time. and it should put all the ip's and such in the same range as your computer.

once you get in its a matter of uploading all the xbmc files to E:\Apps\XBMC

once that is done you have to browse to applications in evox and start it manually. you can also install xbmc as the main dashboard but i cannot remember the exact directories to use so dont do that for the time being. if i come accross a tutorial ill let you know.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I realised my cable was a standard rj45 and I needed a cross over cable, which I purchased. When I ping now to my xbox 0 packets are being lost. So I thought the end was in site.
    I loaded up filezilla and made the connections are per youtube tutorials and this is what I get:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
    Response: 220 Please enter your login name now.
    Command: USER xbox
    Response: 331 Password required for xbox.
    Command: PASS ****
    Response: 230 User xbox logged in , proceed.
    Command: SYST
    Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
    Command: FEAT
    Response: 502 feat is not implemented.
    Command: PWD
    Response: 257 "/" is current directory
    Command: TYPE I
    Response: 200 Type set to IMAGE.
    Command: PASV
    Response: 502 pasv is not implemented.
    Command: PORT 192,168,0,1,223,68
    Error: Connection timed out
    Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

When I tried FlashFXP, this is what I get:

WinSock 2.0 -- OpenSSL 1.0.0c 2 Dec 2010
    [R] Connecting to 192.168.0.2 -> IP=192.168.0.2 PORT=21
    [R] Connected to 192.168.0.2
    [R] 220 Please enter your login name now.
    [R] USER xbox
    [R] 331 Password required for xbox.
    [R] PASS (hidden)
    [R] 230 User xbox logged in , proceed.
    [R] SYST
    [R] 215 UNIX Type: L8
    [R] FEAT
    [R] 502 feat is not implemented.
    [R] REST 100
    [R] 502 rest is not implemented.
    [R] This server may not allow file resuming
    [R] PWD
    [R] 257 "/" is current directory
    [R] TYPE A
    [R] 200 Type set to ASCII.
    [R] PASV
    [R] 502 pasv is not implemented.
    [R] List Error
    [R] PASV mode failed, trying PORT mode.
    [R] Listening on PORT: 57160, Waiting for connection.
    [R] PORT 192,168,0,1,223,72
    [R] 425 Can't open data connection to 192.168.0.1:18655
    [R] List Error

What on earth is going on, Im so confused. I have been following everyones instructions and also internet tutorials and I am completely lost as to why this wont work.

When you connected the RJ45 from your router to the XBOX you should have the XBOX on your network. It's a simple as that. No need for a crossover cable.

When you connected the RJ45 from your router to the XBOX you should have the XBOX on your network. It's a simple as that. No need for a crossover cable.

But i wasn't? So I got the crossover for Xbox to pc without router!

• Advertisement

Which is a bit pointless really when your aim is to watch LiveOnlineFooty on it and therefore need to have an internet connection.

Which is a bit pointless really when your aim is to watch LiveOnlineFooty on it and therefore need to have an internet connection.

Oh **** yeah that doesn't make sense does it, god dammit this whole process has fried my brain!

With an rj45 connected from a port in the router to my Xbox do I need anything else connected at all?

Nope!

androl, i cant recommend you get an installer disk enough, download, burn, boot and go. what router have you got and are you on your default settings?

Nope!

Then I just don't know what the problem is? I get now ping back when I try it that way

Nope!

Then I just don't know what the problem is? I get now ping back when I try it that way

Oh and when evolutionx loads up there is no I.P address on the main screen?

androl, i cant recommend you get an installer disk enough, download, burn, boot and go. what router have you got and are you on your default settings?

That's the option I will try next. To install xbmc yeah? I will still need to be able to connect to internet for liveonlinefooty! Router is cisco wireless

does that router give your pc and such an ip address right away without you doing any setting up if so setting the configuration from static to auto should work in evox, reboot the console afterwards.
    if not go into your pc's ip address settings and these need to be in the same range as your xbox so if the pc is 192.168.1.x then the xbox also needs to be, subnet mask should be the same as should the gateway. maybe its also possible that the person who had the box before you changed all his settings so that could be whats it throwing you off if your following a guide.

does that router give your pc and such an ip address right away without you doing any setting up if so setting the configuration from static to auto should work in evox, reboot the console afterwards.
    if not go into your pc's ip address settings and these need to be in the same range as your xbox so if the pc is 192.168.1.x then the xbox also needs to be, subnet mask should be the same as should the gateway. maybe its also possible that the person who had the box before you changed all his settings so that could be whats it throwing you off if your following a guide.

I did change all the numbers e.g I.P, DNS, subnet as according to guides. But yes I did get the box yesterday second hand, is there anyway of reseting it all back to factory?

• Advertisement

installer disk is all i can think of for you, even a factory install involves a dashboard disk or installer once you cant ftp, that is unless you wanna take the xbox apart.

Advertisement