Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

I have installed the installer disk no problem. XBMC running on the xbox now.
    Now to tackle the router problem.

Right, FINALLY, I have established a connection between xbox and PC, a few tweaks around with wireless network settings in Windows seven, something so simple but yet caused me hours of pain.

Thought it would be plain sailing from here...but no! How on earth do you install liveonlinefooty over the ftp. I have been at it since the past 4 hours now and again my brain is fried. I have followed instructions on this site and other sites, including http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=99422 and I still can not get it to work. Can anyone help. And thanks for al the advice I have recieved so far.

You download the latest version which is 2.0.2 (not 1.6.3 according to that thread). Unzip the contents, rename the folder to "LiveOnlineFooty" and then ftp it to plugins/video directory of XBMC. Then go to your XBOX and navigate to video plugins and you should see "LiveOnlineFooty". Highlight the folder, press the white button on your controller choose "plugin settings" and input your username and password. That should do it.

You download the latest version which is 2.0.2 (not 1.6.3 according to that thread). Unzip the contents, rename the folder to "LiveOnlineFooty" and then ftp it to plugins/video directory of XBMC. Then go to your XBOX and navigate to video plugins and you should see "LiveOnlineFooty". Highlight the folder, press the white button on your controller choose "plugin settings" and input your username and password. That should do it.

I do not have a plugins/video directory in xmbc?
    I am running v+3935 of EvoX but not sure what version of xbmc?

Hmmm maybe it's a very old version of XBMC before plugins were made? Is there a file called xbmc.log in the XBMC folder?

• Advertisement

Hmmm maybe it's a very old version of XBMC before plugins were made? Is there a file called xbmc.log in the XBMC folder?

Not that I can find no. Is there a search option in filezilla?

There isn't. Don't suppose you could take a "print screen" of Filezilla with it logged into the xbox? Might help.

There ya go, attached.

There should be a plugins folder. The only thing I can think of is that it's an old build and that you should update to a newer one. If you do update make sure you're running something else other than XBMC. Boot into evolutionx and then ftp the new build into the xbmc folder.

There should be a plugins folder. The only thing I can think of is that it's an old build and that you should update to a newer one. If you do update make sure you're running something else other than XBMC. Boot into evolutionx and then ftp the new build into the xbmc folder.

Ok, I have tried that following this guide here

Everything is fine untill it says "Time to test the new build, open the XBMC2 folder and find your default.xbe file and launch XBMC" firstly I do not know exactly what that means and all the other steps after are irrelevant, for example you cant delete the xbmc folder on evoX as there is no filemanager.

When I put the xbmc into the apps folder it does not show when I go to apps on my xbox (pic attached). You will also noticed I tried to create boXplorer to install as that has a file manger, but agin nothing is showing on my xbox. I really feel I am missing some vital step as to load / install programs on to xbox from FTP.

Do you know what I am doing wrong?

• Advertisement

Everything is fine untill it says "Time to test the new build, open the XBMC2 folder and find your default.xbe file and launch XBMC" firstly I do not know exactly what that means and all the other steps after are irrelevant, for example you cant delete the xbmc folder on evoX as there is no filemanager.

What I think they mean is start up XBMC on the XBOX and find the "File Manager" option. Now navigate to the XBMC2 folder and click on default.xbe. It's not an absolutely essential step but is handy to make sure the new build is running right before you get rid of the old build. If EvoX doesn't have a file manager simply start up EvoX and FTP into the XBOX and delete the old XBMC folder using that. Then rename XBMC2 to XBMC.
    When I put the xbmc into the apps folder it does not show when I go to apps on my xbox (pic attached). You will also noticed I tried to create boXplorer to install as that has a file manger, but agin nothing is showing on my xbox. I really feel I am missing some vital step as to load / install programs on to xbox from FTP.

Do you know what I am doing wrong?

You will need to go to "Programs" section of XBMC and click "Add Source" and then select the folder where you have the Apps. I've never heard of boXplorer so can't help there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FLABLiTZ

I have done every way imaginable, but am stuck.
    When I boot option 1 it shows hdd, but have
    some errors. It goes through tho. Then the screen
    to enter xbrowser appears and I type it and it
    looks through cdrom and the says hdd found and
    then no xbox partition found. I can type in xbox
    hd and it takes me to format yes or no I type yes,
    then it takes me to a screen with 8 options, I don't
    try any of them because I don't want to mess
    anything up. So why won't xbrowser load, seems
    it is unlocked if I can get through to xboxhd? :s
    *Edit*
    See I went to build from scratch I figured worse
    that could happen is I break it oh well when I
    went to that it said no xbox partition the drive is
    unlocked but locking is enabled don't reboot or
    drive will be locked press any key to abort so if
    the drive is unlocked why no xbrowser?

What I think they mean is start up XBMC on the XBOX and find the "File Manager" option. Now navigate to the XBMC2 folder and click on default.xbe. It's not an absolutely essential step but is handy to make sure the new build is running right before you get rid of the old build. If EvoX doesn't have a file manager simply start up EvoX and FTP into the XBOX and delete the old XBMC folder using that. Then rename XBMC2 to XBMC.

You will need to go to "Programs" section of XBMC and click "Add Source" and then select the folder where you have the Apps. I've never heard of boXplorer so can't help there.

Everytime I get close I come up to yet ANOTHER hurdle, this seriously has been the most difficult thing I have ever done regarding technology.

I have updated to the latest version of XBMC which yes does include a pluggins folder. And so was able to add the LOF plugin which I downloaded from here. After I added it to the correct plugins folder I tired installing it to no avail. I can find the file but when I go to add source there is noting that I can physically click on, basically just endless folders?

So option two. I downloaded a plugin that contained loads of plugins in it (incl LOF) not sure the name but: plugin.program.repo.installer So this was a little different I was able to add the source and view over 40 plugins which incl thumbnails and when I went to the morstars (LOF) file I clicked enter and it said "install will overwrite etc..' so i presumed that it installed but yet I cant find it anywhere, so where di it install to if it even did at all?

I have included photo's to show where everything is saved etc...

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG :(:(:(:(

Mate you're over-complicating things. I just used ftp to transfer the LiveOnlineFooty plugin folder to the plugins/video directory. Then in XBMC I went to "Video" then "Video plugins" and it was listed there. Simple. You don't have to mess around with "Add Source" or the "Programs" section. It just shows up under "video plugins" when you put it in the "plugins/video" folder.

Mate you're over-complicating things. I just used ftp to transfer the LiveOnlineFooty plugin folder to the plugins/video directory. Then in XBMC I went to "Video" then "Video plugins" and it was listed there. Simple. You don't have to mess around with "Add Source" or the "Programs" section. It just shows up under "video plugins" when you put it in the "plugins/video" folder.

The only thing showing there is apple trailers?

Have you got the LOF plugin in the same folder as the "Apple Movie Trailers Lite" folder?

Have you got the LOF plugin in the same folder as the "Apple Movie Trailers Lite" folder?

Went to check there and now I cannot connect to sever with filezilla...wtf???
    Just going to troubleshoot now but I litterally did no change anything!

Ok I have now added the LOF folder into the same location as apple trailers.

When I select the folder on the xbox, nothing happens?

I have printed the screenshot of Location and the inside of the LOF folder to make sure everything looks in order? Its attached.

Am I right in what I am seeing? Do you have all those other folders in the "LiveOnlineFooty" folder? Get the folder called "plugin.video.lof" and put it in the plugins/video folder so that it is alongside "Apple Movie Trailers Lite" and also alongside the folder you have currently called "LiveOnlineFooty". Next delete the folder called "LiveOnlineFooty". Then rename "plugin.video.lof" to "LiveOnlineFooty".

What you did was you downloaded everything that was in mortstar's repo. This includes all the other plugins he has made in addition to LOF. You have too much crap in the "LiveOnlineFooty" folder. All that you need is the contents of "plugin.video.lof" folder. All the other folders and plugins are for other websites and projects. You're nearly there! :)

Am I right in what I am seeing? Do you have all those other folders in the "LiveOnlineFooty" folder? Get the folder called "plugin.video.lof" and put it in the plugins/video folder so that it is alongside "Apple Movie Trailers Lite" and also alongside the folder you have currently called "LiveOnlineFooty". Next delete the folder called "LiveOnlineFooty". Then rename "plugin.video.lof" to "LiveOnlineFooty".

What you did was you downloaded everything that was in mortstar's repo. This includes all the other plugins he has made in addition to LOF. You have too much crap in the "LiveOnlineFooty" folder. All that you need is the contents of "plugin.video.lof" folder. All the other folders and plugins are for other websites and projects. You're nearly there! :)

♫ Oh happy days ♫
    Ha Ha at long long last.
    Thank you so much Frank Proud Vial, without you the xbox would have been in a Panda bin by now! Fair play to ya!

I think every error has been covered so anyone that has any issues should just look back the previous pages :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I've acquired an xbox and am thinking of doing this with it.

I have a spare 120GB HDD that I want to stick into this.

So I assume that my first step would be cloning the hard drive yes ?

Just looking at the OP and seeing Note 10. I have Kernel: 5713, do you think itll be okay ? (i've no recent games to do an update and xbox live no longer works with the old xboxes.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Korvanica wrote: »
    I've acquired an xbox and am thinking of doing this with it.

I have a spare 120GB HDD that I want to stick into this.

So I assume that my first step would be cloning the hard drive yes ?

Just looking at the OP and seeing Note 10. I have Kernel: 5713, do you think itll be okay ? (i've no recent games to do an update and xbox live no longer works with the old xboxes.)

I edited the original post, as I've had far less headaches when the console has been live-enabled. I know Live isn't supported anymore on the Xbox, but if you have a live-enabled game it will update the dash for you.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I edited the original post, as I've had far less headaches when the console has been live-enabled. I know Live isn't supported anymore on the Xbox, but if you have a live-enabled game it will update the dash for you.

I've halo 2, which is live enabled. And has been used on the console multiple times. Although as far as i know, not online. Think that'll be alright ?

I've halo 2, which is live enabled. And has been used on the console multiple times. Although as far as i know, not online. Think that'll be alright ?

When you go to build the dash as in the first post, check that you have the highest version the programe lists. I can't remember off hand what the version number is, but it sounds about right

EnterNow wrote: »
    When you go to build the dash as in the first post, check that you have the highest version the programe lists. I can't remember off hand what the version number is, but it sounds about right

Will do. OK so about this other HDD, Its possible to clone the bxoxes original one yea ? Or do I need to do this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

Will do. OK so about this other HDD, Its possible to clone the bxoxes original one yea ? Or do I need to do this ?

Xbox has to be modded before you can clone the hdd or at least have the eeprom so you can lock a newly built hdd.

Now select option 1, if it complains about resolution, ignore it and hit the spacebar to continue.
    On this step. It isn't doing anything.

just hanging on the first screen, how long should it take ?

EDIT: forgot to check the kernel version (tick it when running ndure).. reburning cd now.

On this step. It isn't doing anything.

just hanging on the first screen, how long should it take ?

Is this after you've hotswapped the drive? It should only take a few seconds. Reset the pc & try again.

Also, you don't clone the original hdd, you'll have to build a new hard drive in the settings, but do the soft-mod first. Worry about the hdd upgrade afterwards

Yea after ive swapped the drive, and selected the first option.

it just hangs on the first screen with "boot: 1" in the bottom.

Ive Reset multiple times, tried again each time same issue.

its just hanging when I enter selection 1 and press enter

• Advertisement

figured it out.

The cd drive seems to be lost when I hot swap the drive. Switching to a sata cd drive

EDIT:Switched back to IDE, turns out the drive was set to master, changed to slave and all ok now.

got it, currently creating backup

Advertisement