Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

Could be the cache or just the file, try the latest xbmc 3.3, fixed some of my buffering issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is the Xbox still unable to handle HD videos, or has something geeky happened to beef it up?

Have a dedicated media player in the main room, but if I could get this up and running in the second room for very little, it'd make me a happy camper.

Full HD is still out of the picture but improvements have been made and it will now make use of extra ram so a 128mb console is now viable .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hangover wrote: »
    Full HD is still out of the picture but improvements have been made and it will now make use of extra ram so a 128mb console is now viable .

..... If you are a soldering God!

I would have considered myself a better than most solder and there is no way I would go near upgrading the memory on an xbox.

TBH Soarer, and it goes completely against the vain of the forum, but there is just so many things that can be used to watch media on now that I'm not sure these are the things for the job. When this thread was created they were by far in the way the best things out there for this, and at €20 it was amazing value, but i just think there is beter options now. They are quite power hungry too (relative to an apple TV or Android Stick or something) so the upfront might save you some money by using this, but ESB also needs to be considered.

It is expense to buy hard drives for it now (IDE), although adapters do work most of the time with Sata drives. It also does not have wireless. Some of them can also be quite loud.

It does have its advantages, being able to play games etc which could also be considered. They are also very easy to use once set up, and also robust so pretty good for a kids room or whatever.

If you do decide to go ahead with it, Im sure we will do our best to help you out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭murphyaii

just buy a apple tv and jailbreak it.
    voila you have xbmc and everything else for free with no buffering issues

• Advertisement

I wont be soldering even though i have the tools to do it, i have a reflow station that will make it a lot easier. Sure there are more powerful and smaller devices but none beat the value or coolness of a modded xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Hangover wrote: »
    I wont be soldering even though i have the tools to do it, i have a reflow station that will make it a lot easier. Sure there are more powerful and smaller devices but none beat the value or coolness of a modded xbox.

The ouya is another good option

Yeah for media it looks ok but the reports for it arent that great.

Advertisement