Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭ongarite

I think you need to make a completely new profile/game save of you want to play it normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

ongarite wrote: »
    Yes you need to download action replay from somewhere.
    Then download the krayie ndure for splinter cell v1.1 from xbins using easy xbins program,

I have DL'd 2 versions and get same response!
    drivers for xbox usb adapter are all good just when i open AR the middle AR sign which should turn green when card is recognized flickers once or twice then grey!
    confused as i have everything else and this wee problem is holding me up!
    thanks
    john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i just got a female usb to xbox controller adapter off ebay and used a regular usb stick to do my first one. only cost me a couple of quid.

• Moderators Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ok, so i finally have my xbox settled down with a multiple seasons of multiple series on it, and connected to broadband.

Now as im adding in files to the library and downloading info from IMDB its adding the files to the library. Great. But its adding them in a bit odd. Some of the seasons arnt being added, or instead of a subfolder for each season im getting one or 2 folders. Some with a season number, some with "all seasons" as the title.
    Also, some seasons of shows were added, AFAIK, but when I open up that folder in the library, its empty.

Basically:
    1. Some folders have missing episodes.
    2. All folders are sorted alphebetically and not by which episode came first.
    3. Some folders are missing Seasons.
    4. Black books wont add to the library. It jst adds in some file like "font.weight showtime......." And it freezes when I try to add black books again.

Im so close but so far...

How have you mapped your stuff in XBMC and how consistent is the naming of your shows.

You want to map to the root folder of all your TV shows (C:\TV) so that all the TV shows&series are inside that. (C:\TV\Battlestar Galactica).
    You then set the content of C:\TV to tvdb.com scraper.
    Then go to Battlestar Galactica and look up info for it and it should look up episode info and sreencaps for each episode.

• Advertisement

anyone know where i can get a full version of it(not an update tried that and didnt work for me)
    thanks
    john

• Moderators Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

How have you mapped your stuff in XBMC and how consistent is the naming of your shows.

You want to map to the root folder of all your TV shows (C:\TV) so that all the TV shows&series are inside that. (C:\TV\Battlestar Galactica).
    You then set the content of C:\TV to tvdb.com scraper.
    Then go to Battlestar Galactica and look up info for it and it should look up episode info and sreencaps for each episode.

Ive mapped to the root folder (F:\Tv Series) and set content to Tvdb.com scraper. I then do go to my subfolders and look up info for individual series. Inside thoses folders there are subfolders with multiple seasons in them. Would this matter?
    F:\Tv Series\House\Season 1\<name of episode>
    F:\Tv Series\House\Season 2\<name of episode> Etc.

My problems:
    Black books refuses to get the information, it simply just inserts a folder of code as I mentioned.
    Father Ted adds but only the folder, no seasons nor episodes can be accessed from the Library mode.
    And of the series and seasons that are added and accessible, they are all renamed (correctly) but are thus sorted alphabetically and scrolling on to the next episode involves searching which name is which episode.

The way you have the folder layout with House is fine but the naming of each episode is of critical importance?
    How do you have them named? S01E01? S01.E01? S01 E01?

What version, build of XBMC are you using? There are some bugs looking up Black Books and similar.
    Father Ted sounds like episode naming issue like I mentioned above.

You can sort the shows any way you like once in library view, options to sort by name, time, rating or episode order in top left on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I have the same problem with Smallville, all the episodes are named S07E01.avi, S07E02.avi, S07E03.avi, etc
    Updated to the latest version of XBMC from t3ch and some of the episodes appeared, but I still had to watch some older ones through the normal view, not the library

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

hey i hate to be the n00b at the end of the thread but...

when its hotswap time and i connect the xbox hard drive to my pc the cdrom drive stops (no power, stops spinning) but if i disconnect the xbox hdd it comes back on. so i cant even check if the drive is unlocked nevermind finish the setup.

any suggestions??
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

dhaddock wrote: »
    hey i hate to be the n00b at the end of the thread but...

when its hotswap time and i connect the xbox hard drive to my pc the cdrom drive stops (no power, stops spinning) but if i disconnect the xbox hdd it comes back on. so i cant even check if the drive is unlocked nevermind finish the setup.

any suggestions??
    cheers
    /tries to remember.

Something to do with CD drive being set to master/slave?
    It sounds like the pc is only recognising either the cd drive or the hdd at any one time.
    I think the hard drive plugs in at the end of the ide cable (there was some reason about why that I can't recall).

Just try messing about plugging into into various slots on the ide. I think it was about my twentieth try before mine worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

/

Just try messing about plugging into into various slots on the ide. I think it was about my twentieth try before mine worked.

Best advice ever!!! :P

Your motherboard will have two IDE ports on it, a primary and a secondry

To find out which is which the best way to do it is boot up the pc with just your CD drive and boot into your bios. It should tell you in there whether your CD drive is connected to primary or secondry, and now you know which port is which.

Your cd drive has to be connected to the secondry port.

Then you need a diffrent IDE cable plugged into the primary slot. You'll plug the hard drive into the end part of the IDE cable (opposed to the middle connection)

See how you get on now

anyone help me with action replay software?????
    john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I have the same problem with Smallville, all the episodes are named S07E01.avi, S07E02.avi, S07E03.avi, etc
    Updated to the latest version of XBMC from t3ch and some of the episodes appeared, but I still had to watch some older ones through the normal view, not the library

I had a similar problem and solved it by using the thtvdb.com as my scraper and using advancesettings.xml to set the naming conventions.

For example My path to Black books now looks like this

TVshows\Black Books\Season 1\ 01 - episode1.avi
    TVshows\Black Books\Season 2\ 01 - episode1.avi

Here is the text from my advancesettings.xml . If you copy the text between the lines into a text document and rename it advancesettings.xml and then upload it to /Q/UserData on teh xbox it should work . This works with other naming conventions too.

The video library part removes the recent items from the menu which I didn't want. If you waat to keep them remove those lines.

<regexp>[\._ \-]([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp> % foo.1x09*
    <regexp>[\._ \-][Ss]([0-9]+)[\.\-]?[Ee]([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp> % foo.s01.e01, foo.s01_e01
    <regexp>[\._ \-][Ss]([0-9]+)[Ee]([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp> % foo.s01e01, foo.s01_e01
    <regexp>[\._ \-]([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9])[\._ \-][^\\/]*</regexp> % foo.103*
    <regexp>([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp>
    <regexp>([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9])[^\\/]*</regexp>
    <regexp>Season[\._ ]([0-9]+)[\\/]([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp>
    <regexp>[0]*([0-9]+)x[0]*([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp>
    <regexp>[\\/]s([0-9]+)e([0-9]+)</regexp>
    <regexp>Season ([0-9]+) - Episode ([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp>
    </tvshowmatching>

<videolibrary>

<hideallitems>true</hideallitems> # removes the "*All" items from the video library
    <hiderecentlyaddeditems>true</hiderecentlyaddeditems>
    </videolibrary>

</advancedsettings>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jarp

Supercell or anybody please help me, i softmoded my xbox, everythin ok, all steps good, connected ide back to xbox and turned it off, turned it on, load standar Xbox screen, but it stucks there!!!!no black screen, got stuck in the / X "Xbox" microsoft/... have no error, it just gets stucked there! 5838 kernel, what can i do ?????
    i tried loading a game and it did but only when the cd its already in before turning it on.
    please guys help me out, the_wu_jr87@hotmail.com.. how do i go back to normal? ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

The Muppet wrote: »
    I had a similar problem and solved it by using the thtvdb.com as my scraper and using advancesettings.xml to set the naming conventions.

For example My path to Black books now looks like this

TVshows\Black Books\Season 1\ 01 - episode1.avi
    TVshows\Black Books\Season 2\ 01 - episode1.avi

Here is the text from my advancesettings.xml . If you copy the text between the lines into a text document and rename it advancesettings.xml and then upload it to /Q/UserData on teh xbox it should work . This works with other naming conventions too.

The video library part removes the recent items from the menu which I didn't want. If you waat to keep them remove those lines.

<regexp>[\._ \-]([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp> % foo.1x09*
    <regexp>[\._ \-][Ss]([0-9]+)[\.\-]?[Ee]([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp> % foo.s01.e01, foo.s01_e01
    <regexp>[\._ \-][Ss]([0-9]+)[Ee]([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp> % foo.s01e01, foo.s01_e01
    <regexp>[\._ \-]([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9])[\._ \-][^\\/]*</regexp> % foo.103*
    <regexp>([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp>
    <regexp>([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9])[^\\/]*</regexp>
    <regexp>Season[\._ ]([0-9]+)[\\/]([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp>
    <regexp>[0]*([0-9]+)x[0]*([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp>
    <regexp>[\\/]s([0-9]+)e([0-9]+)</regexp>
    <regexp>Season ([0-9]+) - Episode ([0-9]+)[^\\/]*</regexp>
    </tvshowmatching>

<videolibrary>

<hideallitems>true</hideallitems> # removes the "*All" items from the video library
    <hiderecentlyaddeditems>true</hiderecentlyaddeditems>
    </videolibrary>

</advancedsettings>

jarp wrote: »
    Supercell or anybody please help me, i softmoded my xbox, everythin ok, all steps good, connected ide back to xbox and turned it off, turned it on, load standar Xbox screen, but it stucks there!!!!no black screen, got stuck in the / X "Xbox" microsoft/... have no error, it just gets stucked there! 5838 kernel, what can i do ?????
    i tried loading a game and it did but only when the cd its already in before turning it on.
    please guys help me out, the_wu_jr87@hotmail.com.. how do i go back to normal? ty.

Hi Jarp

Here's how you solve it:

I'd say you made your boot cd wrong

Download this ISO

Burn it to a cd. (no need to do anything with it)

Boot it up the same way as the cd from supercells guide.(cd drive in the secondry IDE slot , with all other hard drives plugged out)

Turn on your xbox, when it gets to the green X screen Unplug the hard drive.

Plug it in to your pc when you have the xbox hd tools screen on your pc and chose option 1

Then type "xboxhd"

then select option 1

Then just keep typing "yes" at every option after that.

After a few mins it will say its done, then you should have your xbox working as standard again, IMPORTANT!!! remember to plug the hard drive back into the xbox before powering the xbox down.

See how you get on

Hi Jarp

Here's how you solve it:

I'd say you made your boot cd wrong

Download this ISO

Burn it to a cd. (no need to do anything with it)

Boot it up the same way as the cd from supercells guide.(cd drive in the secondry IDE slot , with all other hard drives plugged out)

Turn on your xbox, when it gets to the green X screen Unplug the hard drive.

Plug it in to your pc when you have the xbox hd tools screen on your pc and chose option 1

Then type "xboxhd"

then select option 1

Then just keep typing "yes" at every option after that.

After a few mins it will say its done, then you should have your xbox working as standard again, IMPORTANT!!! remember to plug the hard drive back into the xbox before powering the xbox down.

See how you get on

witnessmenow thank you for your reply, you are right my linux was not ok, the ndure file had the txt or html extension dont remember, i did erase it, but i dont know why it was there again, today i read some tuts and i got how to erase it 100%. made new linux cd. but the thing is now im getting the x logo and after that BAM!:eek: Error 13 ...F...!!!!,
    but before error 13, i back it up and everything was like a baby..but there i went again with the bad linux cd(didnt know...at the moment), and then the F error..

i have tried with the backup and replacing but i cant, says:
    No space left in hard drive.
    Could not open..... read file only,
    couldnt remove.. several times,

im trying with xplorer360 to put fresh C: and E:, but i only get boot disk failure, bla bla.. so i cant get to the OS, i will keep trying bur aghhh, i want to get the eeprom.bin but !!!! cant do it, any help pleasee im beggin you someone please.:(

by the way witnessmenow, i will try with the xbxhd but i dont know nothing about it, do you have a tutorial on this tool?
    the iso link its linux for 5838 right? that would be the one i made today.
    i appreciate your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

sounds like u didnt update ur dash/kernal version.

before you mod an xbox u have to first update it with a new game like halo 2 or the likes...

craze7 wrote: »
    sounds like u didnt update ur dash/kernal version.

before you mod an xbox u have to first update it with a new game like halo 2 or the likes...

even if my kernel is 5838?? how come would this be a problem? i dont think so...but i dont know.. soo what can i do?:o

• Advertisement

That iso doesn't contain ndure at all (at least it shouldnt!)

What it does contain is a fresh copy of a C: and an E: drive. (Latest Dash, works on any kernel)

Dont waste your time with xplorer360, its really slow!

xboxhd is very easy to use, its literally as easy as the steps in my last post.

Download the rar file and extract it,

burn the .iso file it contains straight to a disk,

preform the hot swap method similar to supercells guide except instead of pausing music, plug out the IDE cable when the green x is on screen at boot-up.

when the CD loads choose the first option like in supercells guide

Then type "xboxhd" (without the " )

Select the first option.

Keep typing "yes"

5-10mins later it should be done, plug the xbox IDE cable back into the drive and power your xbox down.

Turn it on again, should be working now. You will then have to follow supercells guide from the very beginning again though:pac:

EDIT: kernels cant be updated only dashes, just follow the above steps and you'll grand, i'd say!

That iso doesn't contain ndure at all (at least it shouldnt!)

What it does contain is a fresh copy of a C: and an E: drive. (Latest Dash, works on any kernel)

Dont waste your time with xplorer360, its really slow!

xboxhd is very easy to use, its literally as easy as the steps in my last post.

Download the rar file and extract it,

burn the .iso file it contains straight to a disk,

preform the hot swap method similar to supercells guide except instead of pausing music, plug out the IDE cable when the green x is on screen at boot-up.

when the CD loads choose the first option like in supercells guide

Then type "xboxhd" (without the " )

Select the first option.

Keep typing "yes"

5-10mins later it should be done, plug the xbox IDE cable back into the drive and power your xbox down.

Turn it on again, should be working now. You will then have to follow supercells guide from the very beginning again though:pac:

EDIT: kernels cant be updated only dashes, just follow the above steps and you'll grand, i'd say!

Got the linux file, burned it, try to boot from it but nothing happens! it doesnt load the linux dont know why, the one that i made earlier it loads like a charm. any chance file is damaged? thank you witnessmenow. will try again.

by the way files are there. i can see the the c:, e: and the rest.. i will let you know what happens.. thanks anyway many thanks

so today i got thinking, about the instructions witnessmenow gave me.. this should work to with the linux cd i made with ndure right? i mean if i choose option 1 on linux and then xbhd should restore my files right? i got nothing to lose so ill give it a try. hope to make it.:confused:

It wont work. You'll have all the options ok put that cd you made for ndure doesnt contain a clean & proper C: and E: , it contains empty C: & E: Drives!

Try burning the Cd again, set it to a slow speed. It should work, its worked for other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wrongman

Mine failed installing Ndure, and now it won't boot in the xbox and can't get access through my PC as it is locked. Is there anyway to fix it?

Emm lacking lots of info?
    Xbox version, kernel and dashboard version?
    Did you use this guide, what step did the problem occur?
    Won't boot.. more info needed..error code on screen, xbox logo then black?

No wonder I stopped answering questions in this thread.

:ppeople people woho! i made it!!! haha here are my steps:
    ok i got the F error 13..

witnessmenow gave me the link to linux iso to fix it, burned at 10x but dint work,didnt booted for me, i should have burned it at 1x. my bad there.

Got thinking hum "on my linux i got the same options could it work?" and well IT DID WORK:).

loaded it and type option 1,
    after that i choose xbxhd,

then option 2: restore C from xbox drive,
    after that it asked to format the C: typed "yes"

then asked me if i wanted to copy c from cd (i think), yes again and it said : copying from d/ndure/c i think.. so it erased my c and copied again with the ndure files!..it did the softmod by itself!! and i was only trying to get my xbox back to normal.(like all steps you do with xbrowser but in one)(just in case do it with xbrowser in order to make a backup)

then after 4-5 mins said DONE.

connected Xbox hdd to xbox IDE cable back, turned it off, turned it on and...ERROR 21:rolleyes: haha F.. i thought.. so i thought of some tip that i read in a forum, which is
    load a game (mine was halo 1) start playing, while playing eject the disk and you would see the X screen and thennnnnn i got UNLEASH:eek: no way jose!
    i checked, so i turned it off and on like 10 times hehe..and there it was!!!!!!!!! now im on my way to xbmc and some apps, emu, games, but first i will learn how to:p.
    by the way in only have like 5 gbs free on my hd, i should get a new one but thats another story.

witnessmenow seriously thank you, thank you, thank you, for your help!:D
    so if anyone needs anything dont doubt, the_wu_jr87@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wrongman

Emm lacking lots of info?
    Xbox version, kernel and dashboard version?
    Did you use this guide, what step did the problem occur?
    Won't boot.. more info needed..error code on screen, xbox logo then black?

No wonder I stopped answering questions in this thread.

kernel 4817.. no idea what dashboard version?
    I did use this guide. managed to hotswap drive OK. loaded xbrowser and selected Ndure to install. but told me I did not have latest dash version. I installed anyway but go loads of error messages.. tried again... then gave up.. plugged drive back to xbox but it wont start...
    get the Xbox logo then black. I assume I have managed to overwrite/delete some OS files.
    Thanks

Hi wrongman, read the last few posts i made to jarp and that will sort you out.

Good for you Jarp!

• Advertisement

wrongman wrote: »
    kernel 4817.. no idea what dashboard version?
    I did use this guide. managed to hotswap drive OK. loaded xbrowser and selected Ndure to install. but told me I did not have latest dash version. I installed anyway but go loads of error messages.. tried again... then gave up.. plugged drive back to xbox but it wont start...
    get the Xbox logo then black. I assume I have managed to overwrite/delete some OS files.
    Thanks

wrongman what i did might help you out, read #26 9 thats me, and it did tell you u donta have lates dash, you just had to play halo 2 or some of the new ones..
    1.load anygame, just put it in your xbox, turn it off, then turn it on, does it load?...
    2.if it does try this, while playing eject the disk what does it happens??
    3. hotswap again, boot your linux, type option 1 then xbxhd, then type 2, the type yes to both question. did it work?

Advertisement