Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel prices

Options
  • 16-03-2008 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Over the last week, around town here, the price of diesel has rocketed in relation to petrol - 2 of the local garages have petrol at 1.18 and diesel at 1.25 - is there any point of buying a diesel if this continues?!

If they're not screwing you with the vrt, they're screwing you on the forecourt!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Nothing to do with people being 'screwed over' on forecourts. More and more people are buying diesels and therefore there's more demand = higher price. Another thing the government didn't think through with the new system - expect it to rise further in relation to petrol from July onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nothing to do with people being 'screwed over' on forecourts. More and more people are buying diesels and therefore there's more demand = higher price. Another thing the government didn't think through with the new system - expect it to rise further in relation to petrol from July onwards.

The only thing wrong with that is that petrol has been fairly evel with Diesel for a long time, despite beng the dominant fuel.

Op, thats very tinfoil hat of you wih "they". The government set the VRT but have not changed anythign to do with fuel since the last budget, so any rise in prices s down to the suppliers/garages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ddea

Maybe something to do with the fact that a lot of forecourts are owned by car dealers. By putting up the price of diesel now are they trying to influence customers into thinking it's better to stick with petrol and buy their new cars(petrol of course) before VRT goes up on them in July? A good way to boost sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

AA concerned by rising diesel costs

'We are now seriously concerned at what appears to be a disproportionate rise in diesel prices, and we would like to hear the oil companies explaining exactly how this has come about,'

Goes on to suggest the price is being jacked up in advance of the mass switchover to diesel in July..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

i was in cavan the other day, petrol was 1.21 and diesel was 1.29. I drove on my reserves til i found a place selling for 1.19. the price in some forcourts is crazy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Diesel is still cheaper (just) than petrol in Donegal. Selling for 1.19 in Ballybofey.
    South Donegal and Sligo are very different

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I got my diesel today at 118.9, it was the same price as unleaded. Any other forecourt I passed diesel was nearly 10c per litre more expensive than unleaded.

Dearest I saw diesel around my area was 126.9 per litre but only idots buy fuel from that place anyway.

Fuel prices usually level off around now in Northern hemisphere countries as usually demand in spring time slows down. Looks like there is something else at work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

I agree that it is not just demand that is driving the cost. It does look like an industry cashing in on the July changeover. Currently petrol 119.9 and diesel 124.9 in newbridge. Most garages going west during the week were higher by 3 cents on petrol and diesel.

It should warrant the Government taking a closer look at this rise above the stock market rise. Higher diesel costs hit the truckers, hence transport of goods costs, hence the price you pay in Tescos. That leads to inflation rising and wage demands rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I drove up by Texacos near Mahon Point in Cork yesterday, and it was 8 c a litre dearer than petrol.

I don't expect diesel to get cheaper anytime soon. Other parts of the world are getting ready to accept diesels, Japan, the US most obviously, so the demand for diesel is going to continue to rise, while as more and more Europeans, and soon Americans will start to follow will start moving away from petrol, the price of petrol will continue to fall.

The Government taxes diesel at 6 cents less a litre already, as people start to switch to diesel, they're going to bring up fuel duty to be in line with petrol at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Stekelly wrote: »
    Op, thats very tinfoil hat of you wih "they". The government set the VRT but have not changed anythign to do with fuel since the last budget, so any rise in prices s down to the suppliers/garages.

I'm just paranoid - they're out to get me and take money out of my pocket!

I was gonna buy a diesel, due to a long commute, but if this is the trend to expect, I think I'll get a starlet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Don't give me that ****e. Diesel in France, for instance, is far far cheaper than petrol, and the vast majority of cars there are Diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

testicle wrote: »
    Don't give me that ****e. Diesel in France, for instance, is far far cheaper than petrol, and the vast majority of cars there are Diesel.
    It's cheaper because the French Government, like most European Governments, taxes diesel much less than they tax petrol.

More and more people are buying diesels and therefore there's more demand = higher price.
    Shouldn't the price of petrol therefore be going down?

E92 wrote: »
    It's cheaper because the French Government, like most European Governments, taxes diesel much less than they tax petrol.

Granted, however, their road tax is included in the price of petrol & diesel, and diesel is still cheaper than it is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ddea

I don't see why a changeover from predominant petrol use to diesel use should see a big shift in their comparative prices. The raw material is the same for both and it is the price of this that drives their prices. Surely if demand changes in the long term the oil companies will alter their production of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

don;t get me started, for someone like alot of people here commuting 100 miles a day, it's just frustrating the current difference

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've been filling up with bio-diesel (95c per litre locally) for the last few tanks but I got caught out almost empty yesterday and had to put some in at a regular pump and it was €1.29 at 3 seperate garages I passed in Meath. I put a tenner in and the fuel guage hardly moved at all. :(

I read on a UK website that the prices for diesel there are rising due to the introduction of ULS (ultra low sulpher) diesel which is better for the environment but more expensive to produce, but considering how refined petrol is, I don't see how it should cost more than that to produce.

I think the AA needs to be doing more than just 'being concerned' about the situation and step up and do something about it, whether it be approaching the government or fuel suppliers (or both) and trying to sort out the reasoning behind it or something else complicated that I can't think of myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

119.9 in Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan.

Cheapest in the local area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭norm

tesco are running their offer of 5c per litre off when you spend €50 in store. Clearwater Finglas price for diesel is currently €1.18 (i think) , then 5c off with voucher. Presume the other stores are the same.

That tesco offer isn't as good as it looks. My car, bone dry, will tax 40 litres max. That's a saving of €2. OTOH I could save €2 by just buying a packet of AA batteries in Lidl instead of Tesco.

• Advertisement

That's an awfully small fuel tank.

Are you saying that we shouln't bother shopping around for petrol so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I was at a shell garage yesterday and only two diesel pumps were open,rest were out of use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭violent*sky

it's nothing to do with the increase in diesel car sales.

the price of gas oil, diesel medium, auto-diesel are ALL going up. not one in particular.

it isn't a conspiracy - just a dramatic rise in the price of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it isn't a conspiracy - just a dramatic rise in the price of fuel.
    then why has the price of diesel gone up disproportionately to the price of petrol?

it wasn't that long ago that diesel was significantly cheaper at the pump than petrol. how come now the price has gone up so sharply for no apparent reason?

testicle wrote: »
    That's an awfully small fuel tank.
    Its average hatchback size.
    testicle wrote:
    Are you saying that we shouln't bother shopping around for petrol so?
    :rolleyes: You'll save more than €2 by not buying all your groceries in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

norm wrote: »
    tesco are running their offer of 5c per litre off when you spend €50 in store. Clearwater Finglas price for diesel is currently €1.18 (i think) , then 5c off with voucher. Presume the other stores are the same.

i definitely don't get the same mileage from tesco diesel as the rest..

patrickc wrote: »
    i definitely don't get the same mileage from tesco diesel as the rest..
    Tesco diesel = Statoil diesel = Shell diesel = Topaz diesel

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JHMEG wrote: »
    Tesco diesel = Statoil diesel = Shell diesel = Topaz diesel
    Its true that they are all from the one source but they differ in terms of additives. I was discussing the AA comments with someone within Topaz who is involved in pricing during the week and the response was that Mr. Faughnan just liked to hear his own voice and that he knew nothing about pricing.

kbannon wrote: »
    but they differ in terms of additives.
    Tesco stuff is delivered in a Statoil lorry, so it's possible they're identical.
    kbannon wrote: »
    I was discussing the AA comments with someone within Topaz who is involved in pricing during the week and the response was that Mr. Faughnan just liked to hear his own voice and that he knew nothing about pricing.
    Topaz=big oil (-ish), and they would say that wouldn't they.

AA survey prices in the 1st week of every month.

All Conor Faughnan has to do is look at the Statoil/Benchmark motorcard site for proof of what he's saying. This week diesel is €1.28:eek::eek:, vs €1.18 for petrol.

I know who I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I am surprised at some of the pricing-at some stations I have passed there have been 5-6c differences in the price of petrol and diesel. However I filled up in Edgeworthstown last night and petrol and diesel were the same price (121.9).

There are a few different reasons why the price of diesel has gone up-here's a US article that is interesting enough-not all of it can be applied to Ireland, but some of the points remain valid (refining capacity etc.)

Advertisement