Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

1.27 in my local Texaco (It was 1.21 last Tuesday when I filled up there:eek:)

Driving through Wexford and Wicklo today the cheapest I saw it was 1.25....FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

vibe666 wrote: »
    then why has the price of diesel gone up disproportionately to the price of petrol?

it wasn't that long ago that diesel was significantly cheaper at the pump than petrol. how come now the price has gone up so sharply for no apparent reason?

This is my biggest problem with all this. While i appreciate that oil is at record highs, €110 ish a barrel, how come Diesel was in or around the same price as petrol last week in most forecourts, and now it has jumped to a gap of 6 or 7c more than petrol? This doesn't make sense, they both come from crude. The cost of a litre of fuel is not the issue here, it is the fact that Diesel has become way more expensive compared to petrol in the space of a few days.

Have the oil companies decided to offset the petrol rise on the diesel as the mpg is better. At this rate a diesel is no advantage and a more expensive car to buy as well.

How true is it that the excise is less on Diesel? Pissed off now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nodnedlog

tippbhoy wrote: »
    This is my biggest problem with all this. While i appreciate that oil is at record highs, €110 ish a barrel, how come Diesel was in or around the same price as petrol last week in most forecourts, and now it has jumped to a gap of 6 or 7c more than petrol? This doesn't make sense, they both come from crude. The cost of a litre of fuel is not the issue here, it is the fact that Diesel has become way more expensive compared to petrol in the space of a few days.

Have the oil companies decided to offset the petrol rise on the diesel as the mpg is better. At this rate a diesel is no advantage and a more expensive car to buy as well.

How true is it that the excise is less on Diesel? Pissed off now :mad:

Have recently invested in diesel also due to environment/running costs/vrt/road tax and I will be bringing in in from NI post July.

That was the plan in Jan 08 based on Gormleys advice now it looks like a bad decision given the about turn on road tax/ possible about turn on vrt (for pre 08 imports)/ profiteering in relation to diesel sales.

I give up. Should I just post my wages up each week to govt HQ for them to divide it up amongst themselves and the super rich?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I Think its time for a Lidl/Tesco vegi oil / diesel mixture. Can this be got in 5 gallon drums?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Guys, diesel and its variants are in demand for home heating during the winter, supply & demand hence the higher prices.

BTW, I tanked up tonight at 112.9/litre :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I Think its time for a Lidl/Tesco vegi oil / diesel mixture. Can this be got in 5 gallon drums?

dunno bout Lidl, but ive only seen the 3 litre bottles in Tesco, handy size for getting it into the tank though, €2.07. thats 63c a litre!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

JHMEG wrote: »
    Tesco diesel = Statoil diesel = Shell diesel = Topaz diesel

as kbannon says different additives in them
    kbannon wrote: »
    Its true that they are all from the one source but they differ in terms of additives. .

I definitely get as much as 50 litres maybe more less miles on a tank of tesco diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

HJL wrote: »
    dunno bout Lidl, but ive only seen the 3 litre bottles in Tesco, handy size for getting it into the tank though, €2.07. thats 63c a litre!

Can any diesel use this or do you have to get your engine adapted to be able to use it?

indirect injection engines can run it no problem but direct injection engines are a do it at your own risk.

google "elsbett" and on their site search for your car on the products tab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

tippbhoy wrote: »
    ..... €110 ish a barrel..... :mad:

Isn't it 110 dollars not euro? In which case as the dollar has weakened the euro price per barrel shouldn't have gone up as much? Does anyone have a link to see the euro-per-barrel cost over the past couple of months, would be interesting to see the comparison.

Us diesel owners are really getting screwed, with the VRT changeover coming soon, vested interests are trying to squeeze us as much as they can. The motor tax situation really annoys me, John Gormley may be a green minister but if so, why does a typically larger-engined diesel car have to pay large amounts of road tax based on engine capacity when it has does much less harm to the environment compared to petrol?

On the use of vegetable oil, the legality of it's use would be very suspect in this country, for a start you are avoiding excise duty. You wouldn't want to get dipped by C&E, that's for sure. Very much a grey area. Saying that, the way prices are going, I would be tempted to add maybe 25% veggie oil to my diesel tank.

I'm afraid this is just another example of the rapidly rising cost of living here and there is no end in sight as far as I can see :(.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Topaz=big oil (-ish), and they would say that wouldn't they.
    Well, in fairness, my conversation was a casual off the record one and there was no need for them to talk bull.
    patrickc wrote: »
    I definitely get as much as 50 litres maybe more less miles on a tank of tesco diesel.
    My car gets the same amount of litres per tank each time I fill up too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 NP14

Diesel is up the world over. It's being stockpiled it in preparation for war. The rises should be a signal that it's coming SOON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote: »
    Well, in fairness, my conversation was a casual off the record one and there was no need for them to talk bull!
    You can look at the evidence or you can believe your buddies in Topaz.

If there is a logical reason for diesel prices being so high, why haven't the oil companies offered an explanation, as per Conor Faughnan's request.

Big oil doesn't become responsible citizen off the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Can't find this products tab you speak of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Are Topaz a low cost seller? I see they have opened in Portlaoise at 111.9 or 112.9 a litre for diesel. Not sure if these are introductory prices or not.

JackieChan wrote: »
    Are Topaz a low cost seller?
    No. Topaz, thanks to a massive fúck up by the Competition Authority own Statoil and Shell. They are now the single biggest fuel supplier in Ireland.

Price like that are to put the squeeze on the other suppliers in Port Laoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Can't find this products tab you speak of.

Go to http://www.elsbett.com/ie/online-shop.html
    Click on PKW/Kleinbusse/Cars/Vans/ Personenwagens/Busjes/Vans

No. Topaz, thanks to a massive fúck up by the Competition Authority own Statoil and Shell. They are now the single biggest fuel supplier in Ireland.

Price like that are to put the squeeze on the other suppliers in Port Laoise.
    The two Topaz stations in arklow are at €1.20 ish for diesel and petrol though where as Tesco and applegreen there are at €1.11 for both.
    Topaz aren't competing in that town at all.

norm wrote: »
    tesco are running their offer of 5c per litre off when you spend €50 in store. Clearwater Finglas price for diesel is currently €1.18 (i think) , then 5c off with voucher. Presume the other stores are the same.
    No they're not.
    Tesco Arklow are 111.9 which becomes 106.9 for both petrol and diesel when you factor in the 5c off voucher.
    For diesel,thats very very cheap :)

The two Topaz stations in arklow are at €1.20 ish for diesel and petrol though where as Tesco and applegreen there are at €1.11 for both.
    Topaz aren't competing in that town at all.
    Tesco in Maynooth were 116.9 a couple of days ago for Unleaded:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

Oilrig wrote: »
    Guys, diesel and its variants are in demand for home heating during the winter, supply & demand hence the higher prices.

BTW, I tanked up tonight at 112.9/litre :D

Ah, last time i checked it was Spring! This gap has only occurred in the last few days.

Where did you fill up? I did west cork to dublin yesterday and the best i saw was 119.8 in Urlingford Applegreen

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I see France has diesel at approx 1.243 with petrol being around 1.358 so the differential is the other way round to ourselves.

http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/index.php?module=dbgestion&action=fsearch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what it comes down to is that the government has been pushing for more diesels and making it sound like a good idea for the consumer, but the wind has changed in the marketplace (for whatever reason) and the government will do nothing about it and just watch as everyone gets screwed.

the sensible thing would be to reduce the duty on diesel to offset the rise in diesel prices so that it stays an attractive proposition for consumers looking to buy a car, or introduce a bio-diesel scheme into the main diesel supply like they did in france (5% bio-diesel mixed with regular diesel at the pump). that would help everybosy, inc. the government with regards to the environmental obligations set out by the kyoto agreement.

or something. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Diesel should be at least 13% dearer than petrol, as every litre of diesel burned produces 13% more CO2 than every litre of petrol, not to mention all the smelly extra particulates it produces which cause cancer, the deterioration in local air quality and all those dangerous Nitrous Oxides it produces.

Well it should be if we were really enviornmentally conscious anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

E92 wrote: »
    Diesel should be at least 13% dearer than petrol, as every litre of diesel burned produces 13% more CO2 than every litre of petrol, not to mention all the smelly extra particulates it produces which cause cancer, the deterioration in local air quality and all those dangerous Nitrous Oxides it produces.

But on average, a diesel will travel more than 13% further on a litre than a petrol car, by your logic petrol should be more exspensive for burning twice as quick as diesel.

But on average, a diesel will travel more than 13% further on a litre than a petrol car, by your logic petrol should be more exspensive for burning twice as quick as diesel.
    I'm with E92 on this one... diesel kills people, and should be around €7.35 a litre, or however much a box of cigarettes costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

By my logic, I'm making the polluter pay... the fact that diesels have lower CO2 emissions than petrols will therefore outweigh the fact that diesel would cost more.

Petrol is a much cleaner burning fuel.... why should you pay more for something that's better for the environment and more importantly, our health and air quality? After all, diesels do 20-30% more mpg, so 20-30% better fuel consumption clearly outweighs the fact it should be around 16% dearer(the extra 3% accounting for the fact that diesel fumes are a public health risk)....so it's still cheaper to run a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

It's cheaper because the French Government, like most European Governments, taxes diesel much less than they tax petrol.

Maybe we should start using Red Diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I'm with E92 on this one... diesel kills people, and should be around €7.35 a litre, or however much a box of cigarettes costs.

Are you just whinging as petrol fanboys or do you have a point to all this?

By logic we should have taxed petrol and diesel instead of road tax and VRT, so the polluter would actually pay. You can't just blame diesel and opt to tax it more heavily than petrol.

Besides, new diesel engines are very low in NOx emissions and sulphur diox emissions. Especially newer BMW engines.

• Advertisement

http://www.catf.us/projects/diesel/dieselhealth/

Diesel kills ~21,000 people a year in the US. That site gives details.

New diesels might be better, plenty of old diesels still around. Both are a lot dirtier than petrol.

If right was right cigarettes and diesel would be illegal.

Advertisement