Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel prices

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Cionád wrote: »
    Your linkage seems to be broketh.
    yeseth, have hadeth it advertisethed for 2 months and gave up. can't give the bloody thing away. nobody is buying anything right now apart from 1L petrols (according to a guy in a dealership) so I've no hope despite it being a great motor that's given me many hours of good reliable driving pleasure. :(

on the subject of bio-diesel, I've been filling up the last 4 or 5 tankfuls in my Pajero with EN14214 certified biodiesel for 95c per litre from Royal Biofuels in Athboy Co. Meath and it's running better on that than it ever did on pump diesel. it's a little out of my way (20 mins from home in Navan), but I have an extra 20L container that I have been filling up too, and I plan on getting another few for the next run so I can get 2 tankfuls at a time to make it a more economical journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Was coming in from the gf's house there - passed (Top-Oil I think, on the Crossmolina to Ballina road) the notoriously "cheapest garage in town" and they had diesel @ 178/litre, petrol was down at 1.19.
    The garage was closed, so whether the owner had a spaz moment and put the wrong number in or was doing it in preparation for prices tomorrow.........I'll know tomorrow!
    I made her drive down to the next station and fill up in case the prices are going up this weekend:(

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

JHMEG wrote: »
    http://www.catf.us/projects/diesel/dieselhealth/

Diesel kills ~21,000 people a year in the US. That site gives details.

New diesels might be better, plenty of old diesels still around. Both are a lot dirtier than petrol.

If right was right cigarettes and diesel would be illegal.
    E92 wrote: »
    "Only" 336 people died on our roads last year(well something like this figure, not exactly sure what it was, so I apologise in advance if I'm wrong).

Since there's 4.2 million people roughly in the country, that means that 0.0008%(or roughly 10 times less than the people who die in the US because of diesel fumes) of the people die because of accidents on our roads.

Are you saying we should do nothing about that too, because "like thats not a lot if you consider every 3 seconds someone dies form hunger"?

And in the US, there's no diesel cars either(and when they do get them they will be actually cleaner than petrols), so you can be sure that it is a much higher percentage here than there, and will get higher and higher still as we all go and buy more diesel cars after July.

no im jus sayin that theres lot worse things then diesel in the world, and if your gona start baning stuff then diesel should be fairly far down the list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

land9 wrote: »
    (Top-Oil I think, on the Crossmolina to Ballina road) the notoriously "cheapest garage in town" and they had diesel @ 178/litre, petrol was down at 1.19.

1.78? GTFOOH! I'm hoping its a spaz moment!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

no im jus sayin that theres lot worse things then diesel in the world, and if your gona start baning stuff then diesel should be fairly far down the list
    So if people die because of something then you only take action if it is a significant number of people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

kbannon wrote: »
    So if people die because of something then you only take action if it is a significant number of people?

no what i mean is that if 100,000 die or are killed by X and 1,000 are killed or die by Y that stopping X would be more important as it would help more people...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Cionád wrote: »
    1.78? GTFOOH! I'm hoping its a spaz moment!

If it is, he better sort it - any of the other garages I passed today were around the 1.20 mark, and that can't be good for his business! Haven't had a chance to go back out to look today - other side of town and traffic nuts on saturday:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

no what i mean is that if 100,000 die or are killed by X and 1,000 are killed or die by Y that stopping X would be more important as it would help more people...

Well since far more people die from diesel fumes as opposed to on our roads, then let's tax petrol less and diesel more then.

FWIW, the new VRT system is far better than the old one, even though it is clearly biased towards diesel.

Diesel engines are often better performers than their petrol sisters these days, I'm not disputing that, most cars are better suited to diesel than petrols, what I am disputing is their environmental credentials over petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Garage just outside Donabate village has petrol at 114.9 and Diesel at 117.9 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Shuco wrote: »
    It's a new station on Mountmellick/Tullamore Road at end of ring road. Only opened 2 weeks ago. No harm to see some competition to all of the other stations which seem to have had as high prices as I've seen countrywide for years.

Hey!
    I was passing through Portlaoise today and checked out this new TOPAZ station. Prices are the best i've seen in yonks - Diesel for €112.9 and BioDiesel for €119.9.
    I got talking to a lady member of staff and she told me that its "irelands cheapest filling station" and that the ownder vows to keep it that way as its going to be his way of getting the trade. And to be fair, its working........place was jammers.....long queue's to fill up tho'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Filled up with diesel in Tesco Clonmel today for €111.9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

cheapest i can find around monaghan and cavan is 123.9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

My local has lowered diesel back down to 121.9 yesterday,hopefully it continues to drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Filled up with diesel in Tesco Clonmel today for €111.9

I had a feeling the tescos were cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Tesco New Ross is still@ €111.9, even better if you spend >€50 and get 5c off per/L....
    Everywhere else in Ross is at least 8c/L more expensive. I wish people would just shop at the cheapest, then the price would come down for everyone....Maybe that's another thread in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

Don't think it's already been mentioned but we should all be keeping this resource up to date -

http://www.pumps.ie/

This in turn will inform drivers of where are the best deals to be had in their area and in theory should force competition if the more expensive stations are largely being boycotted - they will have no choice but to bring their prices in line.

Of course this whole theory is dependent on most motorists making the effort to head for the cheapest, and in practice they don't....where convenience will dominate.

Time for change.....lets mobilise!

Advertisement