Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shaky steering on my Astra?

Options
  • 16-03-2008 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

Hi there, i sent my car for a service yesterday, got it back last night and when i was driving along the N25 in Cork and moving up the gears when i went into 5th the steering wheel started vibrating intensely, i wasnt tearing it i was keeping to the 100km limit, i would not have been able to go any faster due to the vibrating!

Car is a 99 Astra 1.4!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was the vibration there before the car was serviced?

What was done to the car as part of the service? I.e. Were the tyres rotated back to front?

I ask this because it sounds to me like the tyre balancing is off. There are little metal weights on the wheels to counter act vibration from the tyres. The tyres could have been rotated front to back by your mechanic/garage to stretch the life of your tyres but they may not have rebalanced them.

Any tyre centre like Advanced Pitstop or Kwik Fit can balance your tyres for you. They usually charge around €10 to €15 per tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Yeah i had new tyres put on, sounds most likely tis the balancing, cheers for info!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

bazz26 wrote: »
    The tyres could have been rotated front to back by your mechanic/garage to stretch the life of your tyres but they may not have rebalanced them.

Sounds like the most likely reason.

But, if there was imbalance before the wheels were rotated then there should have been a similar vibration coming through the car. That said, rear wheel imbalance is less noticeable than front wheel imbalance as the 'steering shake' makes front wheel imbalance much more prominent.

So as bazz stated - take it to a tyre centre and have all four wheels rebalanced - that should sort things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yeah i had new tyres put on, sounds most likely tis the balancing, cheers for info!

Just seen this post as I posted my reply - yeah, definitely a balance issue. Go back to them and explain the problem - it should take about 15 mins in total for them to rectify.

Advertisement