Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip Off

Options
  • 16-03-2008 7:34pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

I was just up in Centra beside the train station in Portarlington. Bank holiday special of bottles of wine in the trolley are 5.99. Only one brand of wine in trolley so no confusion. These are advertised as 5.99. I proceeded to the checkout and the bottle scans for 8.99. WTF. Cashier explains to me that the manager instructed her to charge 8.99 for the bottle if it scans for that price. No manager or supervisor around to argue with so eventually the cashier gave it to me for the advertised price when they realized i wasn't going to feck off without it at the cheaper price.

Don't get caught out by this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

i always thought that if the price is higher at the checkout they are obliged to charge you the promotion price. This has happened me a few times in dunnes but they don't care and if you tell them there was a promotion sticker they'll put it through for the lower price.

But that aside, is this not similiar to petrol station having higher prices on the pumps than on the hoardings, i know that this is not allowed anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

The store is not obliged to charge you the lower "advertised price".
    That is just an invitation to treat, and it could have just been a mistake on behalf of the store.
    A gesture of goodwill usually ensues, although not always, as in the case of the OP, where you have to dig your heals in and get them to give you the cheaper price.
    But they are by no means entitled to do it, and if they insist on charging the higher price, and you pay it, it will probably result in bad publicity as you pass on the message.........

Advertisement