Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test questions

Options
  • 16-03-2008 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm 24 and have been living in the US since I was 16 but I'm back in Dublin now. My question mainly revolves around what to do!?
    I understand you can't just trade in your US licence for the Irish full (which is ridiculous!) so I suppose I have to start from the beginning and take the Provisional test and work my way up.
    Not to blow smoke, but I'm a great driver... I see this as my downfall in the test.
    Now assuming I pass my provisional exam with flying colours, how long do I have to wait before applying to take my full licence exam? Can I turn around and sign up for it immediately? Is there a way to skip the provisional exam?
    Why should I even get an Irish licence? Someone mentioned to me that they hold an "international licence" and are fully insured and legal to drive here.
    Anyone willing to help out on these questions is greatly thanked!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well i'm not sure about the transferring of international licenses, but i do know that, for one the provisional license is now called a learner permit, the test is a bunch of multiple choice questions on the rules of the road. And once you pass that (it's very easy) you must wait 6 months before being able to do your test for your full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Main reason you can't just convert it, as I understand it, is because you probaby don't have any experience of driving stick-shift cars, which are *significantly* different from driving automatics. Never mind getting used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road and getting used to possibly different Rules of the Road. A friend of mine from the US living in the UK had to do her driving test to get a proper UK licence, and that meant having to learn to drive a stick-shift, which, despite having driven for years in the States, she found very difficult. AFAIK international driving permits can only last so long, they're not a permanent solution.

But basically apply for your provisional/learner's permit (which involves doing a quick theory test on the Rules of the Road), that'll allow you to get out on the road and learn to drive (with a fully qualified driver accompanying you). Then apply for your test, for which you'll probably have to wait about half a year, as the waiting times are crazy. Then do your test and if you pass you get your full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

OisinT wrote:
    Not to blow smoke, but I'm a great driver... I see this as my downfall in the test.

How does being a "great driver" hamper your chances in the test? One would think that a "great driver" would breeze through it.

perhaps over confidence could be seen as a downfall???, but yeah i'd agree with stark, get some lessons to brush up on the technicalities, you should breeze through it, do you have much experience with manual cars? or is that just misconception?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Stark wrote: »
    How does being a "great driver" hamper your chances in the test? One would think that a "great driver" would breeze through it.

I think it'll hamper my chances because as you get used to driving you develop nasty little habits and become over-confident.
    perhaps over confidence could be seen as a downfall???, but yeah i'd agree with stark, get some lessons to brush up on the technicalities, you should breeze through it, do you have much experience with manual cars? or is that just misconception?

I think it's a huge misconception. I've actually rarely ever driven an automatic car - I think the extent of my driving would be borrowing a friends SUV to move or driving a rental car. I'd certainly never buy one myself. You'd think that the agency would allow people with a full licence from the US to come in and immediately take the Full Licence test. That should be sufficient to test their ability to both drive a manual and drive on the left side of the road.
    Regarding the side of the road issue, I always had issue adjusting to the US driving on the right side actually. I feel way more natural driving here. Once you get used to driving in both places it's so easy to switch (plus if you're at all a worthwhile driver paying the slightest attention you shouldn't have any issue with it).

anyway thanks for the replies. looks like I'm going to sign up for my permit test today. you said it is just a mcq? no actual driving part on the permit?
    I can get a quick study guide from a library right?

• Advertisement

yeah just an mcq, no driving for the learners permit. I think you should be able to pick up a book in the library, it's a study the night before jobby, unless you're a super nerd:). Good luck though, it's a nasty situation having to re-do your test.

yeah just an mcq, no driving for the learners permit. I think you should be able to pick up a book in the library, it's a study the night before jobby, unless you're a super nerd:). Good luck though, it's a nasty situation having to re-do your test.
    Great! Thanks for the quick replies! Since waiting times for the full licence are about 6months, I should probably sign up right away for one after I get my permit.

I'd say that you'd be waiting about 6 months so you could sign up for a test that early. Presumably you're based in Dublin? I think the Dublin waiting times are over 6 months at this stage, but it's hard to predict what it'll be like now.

Yeah, I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

microgirl wrote: »
    A friend of mine from the US living in the UK had to do her driving test to get a proper UK licence, and that meant having to learn to drive a stick-shift, which, despite having driven for years in the States, she found very difficult.

You can get a full licence, but limit it to automatics, so she didnt need to learn stick, Its just preferred over here and in the uk..

Turn up on the day of your test in an auto, they will do it, pass you, give you a full licence but you will only be allowed drive autos.
    OisinT wrote: »
    you said it is just a mcq? no actual driving part on the permit?
    I can get a quick study guide from a library right?

You can buy a book that lists all the questions and all their answers, I passed it without knowing the rules of the road, just by learning the answers to the questions. You can also get it on interactive cd and just go over the test multiple times whenever you have spare time..

I cant be 100% sure, because they are missing images on easons but here is a link to the book and the cd

cd - http://www.eason.ie/look/9780954069070/Official-Driver-Theory-Test-CD---Eng-Lan/Lt-Prometric-Ireland
    book - http://www.eason.ie/look/9780954069087/The-Official-Driver-Theory-Test/Lt-Prometric-Ireland

best bet would be to just pop in and ask them, 17.99 is all it costs.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Aiffy

God save us from returned emigrants. :rolleyes:

I'd say that you'd be waiting about 6 months so you could sign up for a test that early. Presumably you're based in Dublin? I think the Dublin waiting times are over 6 months at this stage, but it's hard to predict what it'll be like now.

I think the waiting times are coming down significantly. I applied at the end of February and got a date for the start of May. Thats only 2 and a bit months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Aiffy wrote: »
    God save us from returned emigrants. :rolleyes:
    Aiffy - if you've nothing constructive to say then please refrain from posting.

We do not take kindly to cheek from a 3 post wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Aiffy

ah here. little joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 coolshark

Hey. I'm a driving instructor so want to offer you my advice. Yes it's true you cant just to to the tax office and exchange your US licence for an Irish full licence. You have to like the other member have said, you've to apply as if your starting from scratch. Buy the 2nd edition Theory Test book or DVD, log onto www.dtts.ie to book your theory test on rules of the road and signs etc. You should pass that no problem. Get your provisional. Sound like your a confident driver but as mentioned if you drive an automatic in Us driving a manual car is alot different and some ppl just handle a car with a manual gearbox if so used to an automatic.

I deal with all test routes in North Dublin. Apply for your test and I'll see if you have not got the worst driving habits I've ever seen like an American guy I had last wk. He had terrible habits but he passed his test but had to change alot of aspects of his driving.

The waiting list now for a driving test is 10 -13 wks, 3-4 mths max with this new company called SGS doing over 1,000 tests each wk or more. Waiting list used to over a year in some test centres but that is all in the past now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 maybebabie

coolshark wrote: »
    Hey. I'm a driving instructor

I deal with all test routes in North Dublin.

The waiting list now for a driving test is 10 -13 wks, 3-4 mths max with this new company called SGS doing over 1,000 tests each wk or more. Waiting list used to over a year in some test centres but that is all in the past now.

Hallo! I just applied for my test and seeing as you're an instructor, how many lessons would you recommend I take pre the test, once I know my date? Plus, what's the fee for lessons with your driving school? I'm not too far from yourself, my test centre would be Raheny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

maybebabie wrote: »
    Hallo! I just applied for my test and seeing as you're an instructor, how many lessons would you recommend I take pre the test, once I know my date? Plus, what's the fee for lessons with your driving school? I'm not too far from yourself, my test centre would be Raheny.

usually 35 euros a lesson most place do offers like do 5 get 6th free. you should look around for the best ones in your area some of them are ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

maybebabie wrote: »
    what's the fee for lessons with your driving school?
    Please use the PM function for that sort of information.

Advertisement