Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sporter To Target Rifle

• 16-03-2008 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

So I'm thinking of switching my sporter to a target rifle, I think I'll be buying an Anshutz, my question is this, what kind of money would you expect to pay for something relatively new and in good condition? Would it be worth your while going abroad to get one, if you were buying new? If you were buying new what kind of money would you pay?
    Also what kind of money would I expect to pay for sights?
    Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Short question, long answer :D

Assuming you're talking about smallbore target rifles, then the new price is anything between €2100 and €2500 without sights.

Sights can be anything from €250ish up to €600 new.

Second hand, reasonably new target rifles are also relatively expensive. I know of a 4 year old one with expensive sights going for around €2200, but I've also seen a 6 year old without sights go for €1000. Older than those and you're in and around the €500 to €1000 depending on age, condition and bells and whistles.

Abroad, relatively new ones are hard to find second hand, and some of the prices for really old ones can be a bit steep as well. I do know of an Anschutz 2013 barrel and action in Switzerland without sights or stock going for €975 with only 4000 rounds through it.

But that's still going to cost you around €2200 all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭patrick2007

Sorry it'll be smallbore, 50m prone only
    rrpc wrote: »
    I do know of an Anschutz 2013 barrel/QUOTE]

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm just trying to educate myself before I buy, are there paticular barrels I should be looking out for or avoid? Does the same apply for the stock?

http://www.geocities.com/pistoleer2001/AnschutzAluRifle.JPG

This is kinda what I had in mind, I know its possibly very elaborate for a novice but if its going to last me years then I think it'd worth spending the money.
    Again thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sorry it'll be smallbore, 50m prone only

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm just trying to educate myself before I buy, are there paticular barrels I should be looking out for or avoid? Does the same apply for the stock?

http://www.geocities.com/pistoleer2001/AnschutzAluRifle.JPG

This is kinda what I had in mind, I know its possibly very elaborate for a novice but if its going to last me years then I think it'd worth spending the money.
    Again thanks for the advice.

If you want to educate yourself properly before buying, then I'd suggest a visit to a club that does the discipline when a competition is on. You'll get to see a very nice cross-section of whats out there.

Apart from Anschütz, there's Walther and Feinwerkbau as well as some not so well known brands such as Bleiker and Grunig & Elmiger.

You could see all of these at a competition and some of the older models as well.

That picture seems to be an Anschütz 1913/2213 combo. There's a few of those in the country alright. Two of them in Rathdrum Rifle & Pistol Club.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

It's certainly the right attitude to have. As rrpc has said before "When you buy quality you only cry once". :D

If you want to get an idea for how much various bits of kit go for then Intershoot in Northern Ireland and Edinkillie in Scotland both ship here and stock many of the good brands. Neither of them sell .22 rifles but both of them sell stocks, so if you have your heart set on an aluminium stock and you find a good deal on a good wooden stocked rifle then you could buy the stock separately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭patrick2007

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭BountyHunter

Hi all,
    First of all I'm sorry for hijacking this thread but I'm in the same position as Patrick.
    I have a sporter and pistol but want to get a target rifle.
    I've just returned from the local police station where I was talking to a sargent (not the FO)he's not there until Thursday, anyways the guy I was talking to suggested that 3 firearms is "excessive"
    He did mention if I was trading in my sporter it wouldnt be too bad, I replied that they are 2 different diciplines and would not be trading in anything...
    I'm just wondering what are people's experiences of applying for multiple sporting firearms, has anybody got any advise?

BountyHunter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Lots of people have multiple firearms in target shooting BH. Don't accept the sargent's opinion on it, nor the FO's if he's not in favour either (because it's not actually their decision, it's the super's). Tell them what you want it for, explain in terms they'll understand more readily (the usual is to point out that it's the same as golf - multiple clubs for different types of shot), and if they're still opposed to it, insist on putting the application into the super in writing and if rejected, getting the rejection in writing along with the reason. If it gets to that point, you can then go to the DC and plead your case there.

HOWEVER, and this is the important bit, you'll have a far easier life if the local lads in the station are onside rather than not liking the situation. Do a bit of background research on the rifle you want, put together a sheet or two with details (calibre, etc) and photos of the rifle and the range you'll be using it on and where you'll be storing it, and so forth. Show up with that, and they tend to stop thinking you're just chancing your arm, and start thinking that you're looking for the firearm for a definite reason and most of the time, things happen more smoothly after that. I got my air pistol licence in a little over a fortnight after doing that, and that was the fortnight over christmas and new years.

Advertisement