Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get rid of a microwave?

Options
  • 16-03-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Hey all I moved house during the week and the one I moved into had a really old ugly microwave left in it. I already have a microwave so I want to get rid of the old one but isn't their loads of new laws now saying you can't dump something like that? and don't you have to pay too? anyone know where in KK I should bring this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

If you go out to the dump in Dunmore, they'll take it off you for free. As far as I know, Ormond Waste in the Hebron Estate charge money for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yep the dump at Dunmore will take electrical stuff for free, since the WEEE charge you pay on new items is supposed to pay for the disposal of old electrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Firetrap wrote: »
    As far as I know, Ormond Waste in the Hebron Estate charge money for this.

There used to be a skip by the entrance for old electrical items. Not sure how big you could go or if it's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

hey all cheers for the replies - sorry slow to reply was stuck without broadband while I moved - where abouts is the dump in Dunmore? if I'm driving from Nolan park area.

Just drive straight out the Castlecomer road. Its a couple of miles outside Kilkenny on the left. If you come to the junction for Ballyragget/Durrow you've gone too far. Its pretty hard to miss anyway. Its just a bit past Dunmore Church.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yeah it's hard to miss the dump. The road widens out when you're getting near it. What a shame they couldn't widen the rest of the goddamn road...but that'sa rant for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Just a quick one ztoical...if you are buying a new microwave, I'm pretty sure that the shop selling have to offer you some facility to dispose of your old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 oriain

You don't even have to buy a new one to get rid of the old one! A lot of electric retailers will actually just take it from you if you ask them. It's not like they are out of pocket for doing it since the WEEE is applied to all electronic goods anyway. I know that Electro City used to do it once upon a time but not sure about now. What harm is it to give them a call? IT'll be disposed of properly then and not in a dump and less of a drive for you!

When you leave electrical/electronic stuff at Dunmore it will be disposed of properly too, not just landfilled. They have a separate area for all the electrical stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

mick_irl wrote: »
    Just a quick one ztoical...if you are buying a new microwave, I'm pretty sure that the shop selling have to offer you some facility to dispose of your old one.

yeah I know - got new fridge and the shop took the old one but I already had a microwave I got over a year ago and this microwave was left in the house I just moved into. Took it to Dunmore today, found it grand, not a bad drive at all only 10 mins down the road. Dropped microwave off at the electronic section of the recycle area. Great set up there for the recycle, will bring some more stuff out next week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement