Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Languages Question

Options
  • 16-03-2008 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

I have a question about picking this module for next year's elective.

I, in my infinite wisdom have set a goal of a 1st class honors degree in psychology for myself. i figure i need a target and i have a high opinion of myself so it seems to fit the bill.

Anyway Im in 1st year and i'm doing electives like philosophy, which are very interesting, unfortunatly they are also time-consuming and difficult to get A's in (i go 1/2 last semester but i also got a C)

I really liek french and would like to speak it better so i was thinking of doing an applied language course next year instead of my philosophy elective. However i , in the spirit of the college want to do as little work as possible, and i need tome to ace my actual course so i was thinking of saying i'd never done french before in my life, even though i got an higher level A2 and can speak it semi-fluently (ie have a proper conversation with people i met socially in france and here).

This idea is too simple to be original so i was wondering what the catch is , if any.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Improve your spelling for a start!

The word is honours for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

Essexboy wrote: »
    Improve your spelling for a start!

The word is honours for a start.

Cheers big guy, i have a predictive U.S. dictionary. I am dyslexic so i find it hard to spell without it. You understood it and yet you still felt the need to make an irrelevant post, which offered no advice just to point out that i had spelled something wrong. Do you feel good now?, Slightly less pissed off at the world in general? Why would you go out of your way to try to assert you superiority over a stranger in a faceless internet forum? Can you not assert yourself in real life?

Secondly, Improving my spelling would not help my current situation. Therefore your quick witticism is made exclusively of fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

They'll catch you. Friend of mine told me a girl tried to do that with German but she was caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 boardian

i did intro to spanish this year and hadnt a clue what was going on yet there were people there who i am convinced had done spanish before as they knew everything from the word go yet they were never put into a higher level so it might work..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

When they find out (which they easily can) you will be disqualified from the course and given a fail. They are very clear on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Cheers big guy, i have a predictive U.S. dictionary. I am dyslexic so i find it hard to spell without it. You understood it and yet you still felt the need to make an irrelevant post, which offered no advice just to point out that i had spelled something wrong. Do you feel good now?, Slightly less pissed off at the world in general? Why would you go out of your way to try to assert you superiority over a stranger in a faceless internet forum? Can you not assert yourself in real life?

Secondly, Improving my spelling would not help my current situation. Therefore your quick witticism is made exclusively of fail.

Why are you using a US dictionary when you study in Ireland?
    Grammar and spelling are essential to any language. If you cannot get your native tongue right, your chances of doing so in French etc. are poor, and don't expect academics to be sympathetic - they won't. My aim is to be helpful, not dogmatic.
    Get a copy of "Eats, Shoots & leaves" to understand fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I did russian last year and a girl from latvia was asked to leave because she told them she had done some russian in primary school. They are very strict on the beginners courses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Do Applied Languages Stage 4 French. Very boring but if you got an A2 in the Leaving Cert you'll fly through with very little work. It's supposed to be post-Leaving Cert standard so you're perfectly entitled to do it.

Don't assume UCD Admin are that incompetent that they won't check your Leaving Cert results, they can be very efficient when they want to be.

Oh and if you do a search for 'easy electives' there's about 10 threads on the subject on this forum *prepares for backlash by sanctimonious proponents of lifelong learning* :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

Alright, thanks for the responses guys. Seems someone else had thought of it after all!

I'll have a look at the different modules again. Thanks again!

Advertisement