Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assignments during the holidays?

Options
  • 16-03-2008 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

can UCD actually do this and have the due date for an assignment during the easter break??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Of course they can. Just because undergraduates are on a study break doesnt mean UCD stops working. Plenty gets done the months ye're not here too and very few outside the undergraduate body pay respect to the designated term times. Staff and research postgrads have a completely different schedule coinciding with when the buildings are actually open. Besides, you're supposed to be working continually throughout your course and this 2 weeks has traditionally been for study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 boardian

but with people going home and possibly not having access to the internet to upload assignments surely its a bit unfair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm sure most people have some means of accessing the internet, be it dial up or even going out of their way to go to and internet cafe or library. And if they don't then I'm sure UCD will accept assignments submitted by post.

Nothing unfair about it.

its an assignment that has to be submitted in the digital dropbox as its for information technology. i dont think people understand the concept of living in the back end of nowhere where the nearest internet cafe is +40 miles away with one bus a day and where with storm force winds the internet, electricity and mobile phone signal goes so even if they did have dial up its not going to work, i just think UCD could have had the due date being in the first week back, not during the break

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

perhaps having dates due for the undergrads during the break is a bit unfair even if it has to be submitted off campus however its not impossible to get to an internet connection anywhere in this country.

What does bake my noodle is people calling this "the holidays" when its actually "a break from lectures to complete coursework" .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm in America. Sure seems like a holiday to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

seems like a holiday to me too. I have two mid terms on the first two days we get back and i haven't done a tap yet. There will be some cramming done on easter monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

tis a holiday for me too........ Tuesday is when the holiday finishes and the cramming starts :) Ahh sh*t, forgot I have a midterm when I get back....... nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Most libraries have an internet connection, I presume they think you hav access.

Also this break is not defined to be a holiday it's a fieldwork and study period see here

A lot of courses send students on trips or placements during this time rather than actually giving a break so if you choose to go home so be it, but don't expect UCD to pander to you because of your decision.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Most 3G/GPRS phones can do internet so that may be of some use to you, although Blackboard probably craps out on such a browser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Plus you did use the internet to post this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

gubbie wrote: »
    Plus you did use the internet to post this

Excellent! ;)

i never said i was the one that didnt have the internet! so its a common thing then for this to happen? i just thought it wasnt ah well haha at least i can say in my defence im a first year! :)

Advertisement