Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what microphone???

Options
  • 16-03-2008 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I am thinking of investing in an "all-purpose" microphone for general recording purposes. I would want a microphone capable of recording vocals, drums and guitar(through an amp). I know that that is a lot to expect from one microphone but I am not looking for AMAZING quality just something to lay down some demos with. Does anyone know any models that could give me results for abou £115?? I have heard about some model from shure. does anybody have any tips???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

The Shure SM58 or SM57 should do you well. We use them all the time to record.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

fish-head wrote: »
    The Shure SM58 or SM57 should do you well. We use them all the time to record.

I'll second that, either will serve you well for instruments as well as vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭-=al=-

if i had to pick id probably want a condenser mic with a pretty flat repsonce, recording drums with 1 mic is a bit scarce but u cud use it as an overhead i guess! 58's standard on vocals, 57 on instruments, amps and drums n what not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Shure bet57 seems to be a bit of an aul all rounder. I like what it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Try looking at some of the 't-bone' mics that are made specifically for thomann, shure mics have got a popular name and thats why everyone just seems to go for them before anything! I got this one just to start out recording with and I thinks its class, particularly for vocal and acoustic instruments, cuts out loads of background noise too....

http://www.thomann.de/ie/the_tbone_sc400popkiller.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭subzero12

you should check out an Audix OM7,it was recomended to me by a friend whos a live sound engineer, and in comparsion to the sm57 and 58 it sounds allot cleaner and better IMO.its a very decent all around mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

SM57 or 58. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gally

SHURE SM58- look back as far as the Woodstock movie.I used them in broadcasting for over 30 years in **E.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

You can compare a few here

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I'd say pick up a Shure 57. Can be used for vocals, guitars and some drums. Its a fantastic live mic and will serve you well on recording. Plenty of pros are still using them on records all the time.
    They are plenty cheap and are a bit of an industry standard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Reckon you'll get a better response over in Music Production. Guys, send it back if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Demeyes wrote: »
    I'd say pick up a Shure 57. Can be used for vocals, guitars and some drums. Its a fantastic live mic and will serve you well on recording. Plenty of pros are still using them on records all the time.
    They are plenty cheap and are a bit of an industry standard.

Yes, as common in studios as dirty coffee cups and Rizlas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well tbh everyone has already said it... SM57.

If you ain't got any mics its a good way to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Well tbh everyone has already said it... SM57.

If you ain't got any mics its a good way to start.

The sm58 is the natural choice , SM58 is normally used as a vocal mic and the due to the freq response SM57 is used for recording drum/guitar and for female singers. Also the only difference between the two is the design of the head of the microphone.They take a ton of abuse and are cheap as chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Shure beta57a seems to be a bit of an aul all rounder. I like what it does.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 alan.com

Well if you say you are looking to spend around the 115 mark. You should go for the Shure Beta 57a. Great all rounder. Have one myself, records guitars really well, great for snares, and great for vocals, It's the mic they use on American Idol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

it's well worth getting the beta 57/58 as opposed to the sm. a good bit more level to play around with, and nicer highs.
    Only a little more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Seen Aretha Franklin in LA last month, using a good old SM58 :)
    So if that don't work, nothing will.

Any of the mentioned mics will be fine, I do like the Beta 57 on pretty much everything but I'm not a big Beta 58 fan at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

jtsuited wrote: »
    it's well worth getting the beta 57/58 as opposed to the sm. a good bit more level to play around with, and nicer highs.
    Only a little more expensive.

Nicer, rounded lows as well.

Like Savman, I dislike the Beta 58a too. Something about the presence boost on it just doesn't sound right. Always causes problems live too.

Advertisement