Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need help for looking at a used car

Options
  • 16-03-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

going looking at an 99 audi a4 soon enough need some advice on what to look for to see if its in good condition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

BlueDragon wrote: »
    going looking at an 99 audi a4 soon enough need some advice on what to look for to see if its in good condition

• Usuall stuff like checking when it last had a timing belt change (every 60-70K miles)
    • when was it last serviced and by who (main dealer),
    • if it had ever been in a crash (colour of adjoining panels)
    • it should drive smooth with no knocks or rattles,
    • check under the oil filler cap to look for white gunge (head gasket could be blown)
    • check tyres for uneven wear (could be tracking wrongly)

Hope this helps.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yep, all things you should check, things that are specific to A4s are as follows:

-Front suspension ball joints, make sure there are no funny knocking noises coming from the front of the the car when cornering etc. The suspension of these is horribly complex and can be costly to put right.

-Tdi engines can often be down on power, usually due to dodgy maf meters, but it can be hard to diagnose what is wrong. I'm having trouble with my 98 1.9tdi a4 at the min, its been down on power for the last few months, I still havn't got to the bottom of the problem:mad:.

-A4s are known to have gearbox problems, make sure it goes into all gears without any crunching. If so, a sincro ring might be on its way out. This is rare enough, but gearbox overhauls are expensive.

-Only other thing I'd say is if you're after a 110bhp 1.9tdi engine, have a quick look at the sticker in beside the spare wheel, and see if it has 81kw (which is 110bhp) on it. I have heard of some cowboys trying to pass off 90bhp cars as a more powerful 110bhp model. They only have to put a cheap tuning box and new tdi badge on it. (the red i indicates that it is more powerful)

Advertisement