Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike (Trek) Dealers in Newry?

• 16-03-2008 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

Sterling is now worth €1.29. Anyone able to recommend a bike shop in Newry, especially one that sells Trek bikes?

I want to buy a 'hybrid' bike (i.e. a nice, light, comfortable, fast bike to get me 2 miles to the DART). Am I on the right track getting a Trek bike?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Check out www.realcycles.com and www.chainreactioncycles.com

Both based in Belfast with free delivery to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

2 miles is a short distance and a Trek is a thief magnet
    Would a cheaper bike do and maybe buy the Trek for weekends OP?

A sad state of affairs that I even have to post this but I'd only be worrying about leaving a quality bike at a Dart station all day

Oh and the strong Euro ftw!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I've bought from real online with no issues, and also if travelling up north,why stop at newry? i bought my first road bike in mcconvey cycles in belfast who also have a decent website.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Thanks for all your responses.

Newry is 2/3rds the distance of Belfast from Baile Atha Cliath.

It seems like theft is a real problem - perhaps a chain/cable on the front and a padlock on the back might be sufficient deterent.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Note for anyone else with the same query as I had: neither of the websites listed are in Newry or do they sell Trek bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Real have some good prices, 400 sterling for the 2008 Paddy Wagon, that's about 530 euro. Bargain, when the 07 model is 600 in shops here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Note for anyone else with the same query as I had: neither of the websites listed are in Newry or do they sell Trek bikes.

Dealers are not allowed to sell Trek bikes online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 beardy boys

there is a good bike shop that sells Trek,wilier, felt bikes as well as clothing in newry called Border City Cycles, just off the newry by-pass.
    www.bordercitycycles.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Whhels N Motion in Lurgan sell Trek bikes.

http://www.wheelsnmotion.co.uk/

The road between Newry and Lurgan is a nice drive.

the best thing about lurgan is the road back to newry. didn't think that wheels n motion sold trek didn't before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Jmc cycles are a few miles out of Newry and sell them too.

http://www.jmccycles.com/ - I see they had signs up in Newry a while back about €1 for £1, might be worth a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

This thread was started in March. I'm sure the op got his bike by now and I don't think the rate of exchange is still the same anyway.

aquinas i think this thread is more relevant especially after the budget would you not prefer to save money by taking a trip down to the north.

by the way i was caught out at jmc cycles as when i went in it was only on a select few models at odd sizes. i thought it was only a way off getting you into shop.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

aquinas i think this thread is more relevant especially after the budget would you not prefer to save money by taking a trip down to the north.

by the way i was caught out at jmc cycles as when i went in it was only on a select few models at odd sizes. i thought it was only a way off getting you into shop.

I think after the budget most people will wait until January and save money by buying locally.

how??? :)

why???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 patrick86

I was in Jmc cycles 2 weeks ago and they have an excellent rate on the euro also a large selection on trek and other bikes biggest iv seen around newry and believe me iv been around them all lol

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

exchange rate nearly went to parity recently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 1tony

riginally Posted by djfattony2000

where do you think belfast is?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

With the exchange rate at about 1.13, would it be worthwhile looking to the North again.
    Has anyone gained some useful information on places up the north since this thread started??

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yes - check out chainrea.... OK maybe not:)

This thread is over 3 years old and I suspect most posters around here have sussed out the benefits (or otherwise) of buying online from the UK in the meantime.

Advertisement